Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Ahh, spring time - time for fun in the sun!

Is it warm enough for any of you to take your birds outside yet? My tiel just got his first outside session this year and he was flock calling all the wild birds, climbing all over his little travel cage and shredding paper towels I put on the bottom of the cage. Then boyfriend came home and he wanted to come in cause boyfriend walked in the house.

I tried to get pictures, but the lighting in the shade was too bright for my flash and too dark for my camera to take without one. Bah.

Just remember safety first - clamp doors shut on travel cages and make sure harnesses are fastened well with no chewed through straps.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Ahh, spring time - time for fun in the sun!

I hate to say it but Boomer didnt like going outside because one time when he was out in his cage a Stellar Jay flew up on the top of his cage and poor boomer about had a heart attack. After that he didnt look he enjoyed being out there anymore. Now Mango, he is a funny dude and loves being outside. Since he is a big fatty with clipped wings my sister will take him out and he talks, flaps and seems to really love being out there. I get to bird sit him next week and I hope its warm enough so Carissa can take him outside here, he would love to hear all the Jays we have here now but then it may snow so he may be stuck inside. Your little Thanos (isnt that his name? You dont say it enough for me to ever remember it.) sounds like a adorable tiel Marie, one of my favorites here that I love to reading about.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Yes Thanos is his name, though seriously he thinks his name is Turkey Bird. Boyfriend did that - he taught him "turkey bird" while bobbing his head (if you nod your head up and down, or bounce, or even exercise he now thinks you're prompting him to do the turkey dance) and now we just call him Turkey cause it makes him do a very cute noise. Silly bird. He won't stand still to let me video tape him well though, he always moves just out of camera range anytime it's pointed at him. And every night at bed time he says "Turkey Bird" in his cutest little high pitched voice. <3

Hope it is warm enough for Mango too. It's turned into the 70s here, it is so weird - went from snow one week, to 70s, to 30s, back to 70s and now it's 70s-80s firmly. For a few weeks I was going to bed with A/C on, waking up to turn the heater on cause it was below freezing, then waking up again to turn the A/C back on.

When I first took him outside, he was like Boomer... any wild bird or movement or anything would freak him out. So I took it a step back and went slower, leaving him just inside the front door with the door open, but screen door closed. Then moved to opening the screen door and leaving him inside. Then he was just barely outside the front door, on the porch. Then I kept moving him out a bit til I could close the door. He doesn't get enough sun light inside so he needs the outdoor time, or I would have to buy a UV light (I think the natural UV is probably healthier anyway). He now will happily step into his travel/sleep cage to go out with me.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Little Turkey bird... he sure is one differant and special little bird Marie. I went to see Mango yesterday and he was somewhat nice to me and was talking away to my sister. I just love birds that talk, there voices are just so funny to me.

Our weather is all weird here too, we had summer all winter long and now that it is suppose to be spring its snowing here! They say it is going to hopefully clear up so we get to take Mango outside to play. I wished I used the slow way out the door with boomer, he didnt mind it too much until the Jay landed on his cage and that just freaked him out too much to ever enjoy it again. Even when he heard Jays outside and he was inside he got nervous, they were big birds to him.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I would be kind of freaked out too if a human 3-4x my size landed on my house. So I can't blame him. I never leave the cage side, so the wild birds just kind of hang out on the chain link to watch this crazy little weird thing in the cage. The people around here let their dogs run wild and our back yard is missing a fence panel, so I am too scared to leave him unattended for more than like a minute, their dogs rip open our garbage bags and stuff outside so I know they get in our yard. One was chasing a jogger barking the other day. :s

Snow! This late? And in Cali? Wow. I hope it clears up for you soon. It's all muggy and wet and cloudy here today, so he's napping in my lap instead of getting to go outside.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I took Kahnee outside with me when our property was being appraised. It was either that or listen to him scream for my attention while the appraiser was talking to me. Well, Kahnee behaved himself very well and went with us to check out the property. His eyes were sparkling with delight. And he just loved being snuggled in my hand, the little stinker!! When we got back in, he went right to bed.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Aww, it sounds like he had fun. Kahnee is your sunny right?

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

yep, he's my sunny

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Bet his bright colors look gorgeous in the natural sunlight, I love their coloring.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Bet his bright colors look gorgeous in the natural sunlight, I love their coloring.
    Well, he's still kind of dark. Just starting to lose his green. Had a lot of green. He has a chevron of yellow on the back of his wings. But, the green on his crown is almost gone. It's something to look forward to when he's finally done changing colors!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love Sun Conures too, they are such clowns and just so pretty you can stare at them all day.

Well we got 10 inches of snow on us this weekend and I get this creepy feeling it may not be gone when Mango and my sisters dog comes to stay with us for a week. Mango wont get to be outside to enjoy the sun this time and my sisters dog is a sissy dog who hates the snow so we have to force her outside to go potty. Even though I live in California I live in the Northern part of the Sierras and we get snow on us sometimes until June. I live somewhat lower (3200 feet) so when we bought our house here we didnt think it would snow on us like it does because if we did we would have moved just a bit lower to escape this icy cold stuff. It least it is nice here in the summers.

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Not quite warm enough yet...but I can't wait for this

Last year we took the birds on a little road trip around the Scottish highlands...I know there is a photo somewhere but I can't seem to find it!
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Aha, here we go!
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Dan, that looks gorgeous! I love the scenery over there. How does Bailey take traveling ? I know Martin is an old pro at it.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I want to be one of your birds and go on a road trip in Scotland! I love your picture Dan.

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Bailey is fine with it now as well! Their bird sitter for holidays is up in the highlands, so they're used to going up there from time to time now!