Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Keeping two parrots of different sizes and temperaments - tips please

I have never had two birds that are different sizes before, but I am thinking about talking my mother into letting me have her grey. I feel awful for the bird, he has lived 7 years in http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12470853 basically that cage, with no out of cage time. I have tried to work with her to arrange something so he could come out safely, but she is not good at training animals and has dogs/cats, so her dogs try to destroy her door if she closes it and so many dogs scratching/biting/barking/whining at the door isn't exactly comfortable for the bird either. In the last 7 years, he has had perhaps an hour out of the cage. He isn't plucking and eats fine, talks, etc. He also has very few toys at all because he is scared of them and even though I told her how to adjust a bird to a new toy, she hasn't had any success. She's not very good with birds. He goes to the vet once a year though and she cooks his meals for him daily. So, he is healthy, except for the cage bound problem.

I need tips on how to keep two birds who are so very different in sizes safely before I decide. My current parrot is a cockatiel. Her parrot is a CAG. I would have to keep their cages in the living room. There is plenty of space for a very spacious cage for him, pretty much could get one that takes up an entire wall. But play times I am not sure about. My tiel is out all day/night until bedtime and with the size of a CAG I am guessing they can't be out together without serious risk of injury. Also, how do you keep toes from getting into each others cages to get nipped at?

How do you guys who do have different sized parrots work it out so they have adequate space/play time safely? Not really looking for CAG / tiel specific advice, though that would be useful, but any two parrot species that are different sizes/temperaments would love to hear your experiences.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Keeping two parrots of different sizes and temperaments - tips please

I rescued Boomer from my sisters because he would not stop trying to kill Mango the big amazon. It was a awful thing and no doubt Mango would have bitten boomers head off because he would actually stick his entire head into Mangos cage to try to get him. My suggestion if its possible is take your tiel to your Mom's house to see how it reacts to her CAG, it should give you a good idea what your getting into. If your tiel is mellow like I would think he should be because heck he gets along with your bunnies I think it would be wonderfull to give your Mom's CAG a great home. When Carissa moves out on her own she is taking Mango with her because just like your Moms bird Mango is in his cage all the time because my sister has 4 cats and one crazy dog so its safer for Mango to stay caged. All birds deserve to be free out of the cage now and then so hopefully your tiel will be a sweetheart and accept the CAG.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I can't let them meet, as my mother lives in Florida, over 1,000 miles away. We're going down there to get a car most likely and was thinking about driving him back up with us if I could talk her into it. That is something I am worried about though, I know my tiel loves to climb everything in the house he can climb around on, wouldn't want his little toes bitten off sticking them in the CAG's cage.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Do you know anyone else with a bird that perhaps you can have a birdy date with? It least then you would know if yours could get along with another bird. I would think CAGs are mellow birds just because lots of big birds seem to be way more mellow then little high strung birds. If they dont get along you would just need to have separate play times and keep a eye on your tiel or maybe the bunnies wouldnt mind a CAG in there room. I can already see them sharing there couch with a CAG

Name
    Samantha
    Thanks

I have a yellow sided GCC and a Hahns Macaw. I don't let them together at all because he goes after her and she doesn't back down. My son had Burrito (the GCC) out one day and put her next to me on the sofa. I had Kiwi (the Hahns) with me and he jumped on Burrito and she went right back at him. Fortunately I separated them right away and they were both fine . Their cages are in the same room, but are nowhere near each other. I keep their wings clipped for safety sake (young son, dogs and cats in the house, besides people coming and going) so I am able to keep them out together with them each on their respective cage top. They also take turns with time on me and on the stand. Best of luck.
    Burrito's mom

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Hmm. So sounds like I would have to probably keep them in different rooms. I wish this house had more doors... only doors are on the outside doors, the two bedrooms and the bathroom. :s

The laundry room is rather large and the washer/dryer are in a closet, so could be blocked off easily, could probably do something with that if I could find something that would work as a door. Would need a ceiling hanging roller door though, as it's open to the kitchen. Hmm. Then I could let him stay out a lot, would just need to bird proof the room (baseboards, mainly, no wires or anything in the room) and set up some playgyms. *ponder*

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I would say never, never, never let them near one another's territory. Never put them in the same cage - for any reason, even if they seem to get along very well. About 35 years ago, I actually had a lilac-crown amazon and a parakeet that got along superbly well - for a long, long time. One day I made the terrible mistake of taking George the parakeet over to Joshua's cage to say hi. Josh struck out swiftly and hit George smack in the middle of his back. No biting or other aggression. Just one single tap from Josh, and George was dead in my hands.

The only issue was that Joshua's cage was off-limits and I didn't know that. Lesson learned the very hard way.

They got along beautifully everywhere else. Someday I should post an old photo of the 2 of them sitting together at the bathroom mirror.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I wouldn't ever let them in each others cages (or even out together really, size difference is too large), I would like the cages to be in the same room for my sake, but I can't think of any way of keeping toes safe so now I am trying to figure out how to work them in different rooms with a door between. My house is getting to the point the animals own more rooms than I do the rabbit forum people said I was going to get an eviction notice one day from the pets.

Sorry you lost your keet, that is an awful thing to happen. I bet the two of them outside together was cute though.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Yep, they were beautiful together.

And I understand what you mean about the animals owning more rooms than you. I have the same problem with my birds - even after adopting out my iguana (to someone who really wanted him ). But, my problem is too many play areas and toys, lol.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Well - update on this

I talked to my mother yesterday and she's interested in giving me the Grey. She thinks he deserves someone who isn't scared of him and can let him out of the cage. So, I guess I will be figuring out some way of separating the laundry room from my tiel and fixing that up into a bird room, with rope ladders etc so he can be out safely.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I cant wait for you to pick up your new Grey. They are just so talkative and funny that I know you will fall in love with it. I also hope just to make things easier on you that your tiel will love him too.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I've already been around him, I helped her catch him when he flew into our yard to keep the dogs from eating him. So I already like him plenty. I mean, come on, he tells my brother "get out" when he sees him walk into a room, what is not to like?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love these birds. I walked into a pet store a couple of days ago and the one there was a huge blabber butt and he went on and on talking. First thing I walked close to him he said "Peek a boo" and then when I was leaving I walked past and told him bye bye pretty bird and he instantly wolf whistled at me. I laughed at it and he laughed right back. It made my day and everytime me and Carissa go to this town we always try stop by just to see the birds there. They are raised by the owners and there birds are amazing, boomer came from this store so I know they have the best birds of all

How funny your Moms told your brother to get out.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I know, I love the talkers. They are just so funny and always seem to get what they are saying. And yes I couldn't help laughing when he did that - my brother had just come home and walked in the front door and the bird was like "GET OUT!" And he teases the poor dogs cause he knows they can't get him, so he'll call them over to his cage (by name) and then tease them getting up to the bars and laughing at them because they can't do anything about it. He's such a sadistic little guy. And with that much personality, we both feel really bad for him because beyond a few back scritches and talking through the cage, he's had no time out and no contact for 7 years now, he got to come out when I still lived at home, but that was because I wasn't scared enough of him biting me to stop trying to teach him to step up.

I am a tad worried about how he'd do separating from the home he's known though. So it's like I know he's cage bound and I know he shouldn't be and I know she doesn't know enough about birds to work with one so large, but I also know he is used to it there.