Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: my pair of suns haven't bred yet, would it be safe to take in my friends sun?

Hatching
    Name
    robin
    Thanks

my pair of suns haven't bred yet, would it be safe to take in my friends sun?

would it be safe to let him in with the pair since they haven't bred yet, could all 3 get along together? 2 males and a female?
    Hi, I'm Robin

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: my pair of suns haven't bred yet, would it be safe to take in my friends sun?

I am not a breeder, but my initial reaction to this is: no. If the two are bonded and do decide to breed, it is not safe to have a third bird around. Two males may compete over the one female, or the bonded pair may bully the lone male, or the bonded pair may just ignore him. In an aviary type situation, it may work, as long as the two are not breeding (breeders usually use breeding cages for their birds from aviaries) but it just sounds risky to me if they are not aviary birds. Plus, you'd need to start them out together in different cages anyway, as the pair would see him as an intruder.

Could you take him in and give him his own cage, with supervised playtime with the other two? Do you have the space for another cage?

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Re: my pair of suns haven't bred yet, would it be safe to take in my friends sun?

I think it would depend on the personalities of the birds, if they were all laid back it would probably be fine. If your pair is aggressive it would probably not be a good idea. That said, if they are not all going to be living together you could regulate their interactions, or give them separate times out of the cage if they don't get along. I have heard that for birds that are living together it is best to have 1 pair, 3 pairs, or more, but having 2 pairs or 1 with a third wheel they will fight more.

Remove Ads