Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Exclamation He is all blown up. I think it's over now. *Updated*

Baby lovebird 19 days old. Crop no longer emptying. Lower abdomen severly distended. Pedialite administered every two hours to prevent dehydration. Only expels tarry stools and orangish type liquid. Was sitting up with wide open eyes, only crying to eat, now cries constantly with head dropping eyes not open all the time. Vet Monday. Don't think it will be in time. Think he's blocked somehow in his belly. I just don't want him to be in pain. Anyone every had this happen to their baby? I'm so exhausted emotionally and physically. Any type of response would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Carrie Nails; 03-27-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

Re: He is all blown up. I think it's over now.

I have not had this happen and I tried Googling it. I do not know where you are located, but I would try to find an emergency vet or clinic. I do not understand why the vet would have you wait until Monday!!! Please please try to find someone that will see this baby immediately...even if you have to transport him far - it may save his life.

In the interim, do you have him in a hospital cage? Set up so that that he is in a tank or a cage, probably best almost all the way covered. Place a heating pad on low underneath half of the cage (you will need one that does not turn off automatically). Place his water away from the water but down low and very easily accessible. Make sure to keep him warm!!!

I have also read that a few drops of apple cider vinegar or orange juice mixed with his water can help aid in the digestion and empty his crop - perhaps that can help carry through in the abdomen as well.
    http://www.birdloversonline.com/show...-save-the-baby

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. I will keep hoping that everything works out...

Thanks

Thank you for your information. I do have good news regarding his condition. As of this morning he had very large thick stools that appeared to have some foreign matter like hair. I dont understand how that would have been fed to him via the mother. That is why I initially pulled him, she was over feeding him. I also have him set up in a brooder with the temp set for 92 degrees. So he has been going all day very productive and the crop has since emptied. The distended belly has also gone down by half its originaly size. He is now jumping around bright eye and I justcan't believe the turn around! He is still going to the vet on Monday. I did try and call around but no one would see him. Which really upset and angered me but I can't do anything about it. Thank you again, Ill post some pics soon.

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

That's wonderful news!!! I'm so happy to hear it! I wonder if mom herself had gotten some nesting material in with her food or something. Or perhaps if she was overfeeding, maybe she was just trying to feed him anything and everything available. At least he appears to be passing whatever it is! I'm sure your quick actions saved him. I can't wait to see pictures Please keep us updated! I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy your baby is feeling better today. Thank goodness he got the stuff out of him and hopefully is going to be all better in no time. Like Bridget said please keep us updated and once he is all better we would all love to see its picture.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Hi All! Thank you for your encouraging response. Popcorn aka Poopie is doing great! I'm so glad he pulled through. The other eggs unfortunately did not so I was disappointed about that. He is now 28 days old and a little piggie. Vet was not concerned with the state he was in when he was examined, other than the crop was slightly overstreched. She said that it should get better with time. She took samples of his droppings and so far so good. Here is a picture of him today after a feeding.

Last edited by Carrie Nails; 03-25-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

What a little cutie and I am so happy that your little Poopie is still here with us to enjoy. Thanks for posting his picture, to me nothing is cuter then a sweet black beaked baby lovie
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Re: He is all blown up. I think it's over now. *Updated*

Aww he's so cute. I'm glad he made it through!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Leilani
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing the pic he is so adorable, glad everything is great. Can't wait to see more pics as he gets older.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Good to hear your bird will be all right. Yes, I have had that problem with one bird. It was an older bird though. Problem lasted a few months, even with meds and vet care. Did not end well.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Oh, I'm so happy he pulled through! Congrats on your excellent diligence in taking care of him in time.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!