Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

Question Blue Crown Conure questions!

Right! So I love birds, and at our local Wildlife center someone posted something about a free Blue Crown. I have done research, and I must admit they are beautiful birds, but before I completly devote my time into learning everthing about them I have some questions.

1. I have five parakeets. If I do have to keep them in the same room, will they be okay together if they aren't loose at the same time? Like, would the conure bother the parakeet or vise versa?

2. Do Blue Crowns have to be kept away from cats? From what I understand (I have never seen one in real life) they are relatively large birds, and are about 14.5 inches? Now I have three cats, and with my parakeets (the little teeni ones) I always keep them in my room. Would I be able to keep a Blue Crown in a moe central location of the house, or would the cats bother it? Or would the conure bother the cat!?

3. What are some good chewing toys? Regardless of where I keep it, I'd rather not have my wooden furtinure torn to bits.

4. Do they poop a lot? I had to rehome my two Tangerine Ringneck Doves because of this *sob*. I couldn't keep up with the daily cleaning of my room etc.

5. Feel free to add anything more you'd like to!

Merci beaucoup!

Naava
    ℕ∀ⅤѦ ツ

Perpetually learning... Hatching
    Name
    Russell
    Thanks

Re: Blue Crown Conure questions!

Before I start... do you have a place to give a proper 30-day quarantine? If your answer is no, then disregard the rest of this post and don't get the bird. Rescues commonly have illnesses, and having 5 parakeets, you are looking at one huge vet bill.

It's very noble to try and rescue the bird... and coming here inquiring about the rehoming shows (don't get mad, I don't know you..) you're at least more concerned about the bird than many are.

1) Do you keep them caged? Parakeets are really aggressive incessant little buggers. They very likely would cause trouble, and a BC will probably come out less a few toes.

2) All birds should be kept away from cats. Cats, like humans, carry gram positive bacteria for the digestion of foods. Reptiles carry gram negative. (Birds are reptiles.) If you or I get a bacterial infection, it is because we have an overabundance of gram negative bacteria in our body somewhere. The inverse is true for reptiles; they can die from something as simple as eating food from our mouths (i.e. our gram-positive bacteria gets on the food, they ingest it, and die).

Back to my point. Cats carry the same bad bacteria, amongst other places, on their claws. So simple swipe which may barely even scratch the surface of the skin on the bird can cause a fatal infection. Please, don't ever keep cats and birds together out in the same room. (It is perfectly fine if they are in a cage with narrow bars.)

3) Parakeets chew the crap out of everything... so I don't know how you've gotten around this so far. Any smaller wooden toys are great. www.mysafebirdstore.com has a great selection, the toys come from a bird-free facility to eliminate the transfer of diseases, and they're pretty reasonably priced.

4) Every bird defecates about every 15-20 minutes. If you had to rehome birds because they pooped too much... I'm sorry to say... but maybe birds aren't your best choice. I have successfully trained one of mine to only poop in certain spots, but the other still poops everywhere. My ex used to get so upset about that, but you know what? She didn't listen when I said, "Put your coat in my bedroom. They don't go in there." But no, what did she do? Hung it over the bar stool. Got pooped on. Eh, she deserved it.

I am still working on training Pancho to poop in certain areas. It's going slow, but it will happen. This takes time.

5) Quite honestly? I don't understand your living situation or what not to give you a realistic recommendation. Do you live in an apartment/dorm? If so, I would flat out say no. These can be VERY loud birds. And getting it out of one rescue home only having to rehome again is more stressful than waiting until it finds a good home.

Basically, my other questions are if the 'keets are free reign, or are they caged when you're not at home? I would always recommend to cage a bird when you're not at home (granted I'll leave for 30-60 minutes and let mine have free reign, but no longer than that. And they are well trained where they can not go, and I have already come to terms that I will be re-painting the doorways, since they're all chewed up).

Hope this didn't come off too harsh... but as I initially said, I think your heart is in the right spot. I've worked with rescue groups for years, and the hardest thing to come to terms with is that people are jerks, and you sadly can't save them all.
    --Russell
    I am a very blunt & honest person; I don't sugar coat things. If I offend you please feel free to PM me; I am always willing to work out any issues.

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

Re: Blue Crown Conure questions!

Thanks! I don't mind the parakeets cause they don't chew my wooden things, and they mostly just stay on top of their cage, but my doves would always choose to dirty and soon my whole room was covered in towels. And they were not very social, I prefer birds that I can bond with.

And we called the man, it seems he has had the bird for four years, it has no health problems, it's just he wants a good home for it and doesn't want to discourage good owners with a high price.

My parakeets has free range of my room all day (obiously, they wouldn't if I got the Blue Crown, I wouldn't want to take a chance of the baby getting hurt. I had heard parakeets were quite vicious to other birds, but mine are timid little things so I wasn't sure) but my mom is home all day. And I have 'birdsafes' my room- ie no open sockets, secure windows w/ thick wire screens, no plants, nothing toxic to avian species, no drafts, no harsh sunlight, door closed at all times, etc etc etc.

Lastly, my residense is a house. We can already hear the parakeets all around the house, but since they are quiet at night none of my family members mind. And our neighboors live a good deal away- it's not like I open a window and am like 'BOOM IN YOU FACE!' window another five feet away.

And nope, didn't come off to harsh. I actually laughed about the part with your ex ^_^
    ℕ∀ⅤѦ ツ