Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

"Protect me mommy!"

My tiel was sitting on the window in the kitchen and something spooked him, so he did his mad "I am scared" fly around while squawking. I went to the window to look out and see what was out there (I didn't see anything) and he flew in, still doing his "I am scared" squawk and landed on my shoulder, ran behind my neck to hide behind my head and stretched his neck to peek around mine to see out the window still squawking. Silly bird.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: "Protect me mommy!"

In a way I feel bad when they get so afraid but deep inside I can barely stop myself from cracking up at them because they are (sorry) rather funny when they are flying around like chicken butts.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I feel bad for him when he's seriously frightened and flailing around, like from a night fright. But I just call him a crazy chicken and laugh at him if it's a fly away scare ... he does it over every, single, sneeze. Hard to have too much sympathy for him when it is that common. Not sure what he saw outside though. And it was adorable him hiding behind my head and peeking out like a little kid running behind their moms skirts and taunting the bully because they are safe. haha

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy lovies dont have night frights because I never saw one until we bird sit these two budgies and those poor things lost so many feathers that I couldnt believe they were not hurt. I wasnt laughing then either. But when they are afraid of silly things its funny. Once boomer was sitting near our front window and he was looking outside at something and we didnt think nothing of it until all the sudden we heard something hit the window and he freaked out and took off for us to save him. It was a big wild turkey out there looking at him! I cant blame him for freaking out but it was so funny we laughed for a good 5 minutes at him. Mango called in a Peacock here last time we were here and Mango flock called it when it came close to the window, silly big butt isnt afraid of anything I guess.

Thanos is your kid so he was just acting like any kid would do, help me Mom and then maybe I will check it out and stick my tongue out at it.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Poor Boomer! I would be scared if a big turkey came at the window too. Can't believe Mango isn't scared of a peacock though they are so LOUD.

Yes he is my kid. Complete with fighting me about going to bed even though he is yawning and falling asleep on me. Tonight I said bedtime and he flew up onto my pillow on the bed lol guess he was like "Powder sleeps here, I want to too!".

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

If you ever heard Mango flock call you would know he was as loud as the peacock, he has a super loud call!!

I cant blame him for not wanting to go to in his cage because "that" bunny is sleeping with you so in he must think he should be too. Your pets are so spoiled, to have a bunny sleep with you is something you dont here very often.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Most bunnies don't like sleeping with people, but Powder is a very friendly and sociable bun. Stickers would never sleep in the bed! She's scared if I so much as move. Powder just gives me the evil eye if I move around too much and jumps down to flop in front of the air purifier.

Ahh, never heard an Amazon IRL. We had peacocks on top of our roof for a while though (neighbors, they decided to nest on OUR roof though, ugh) and man I hated those birds. 6am peacock calls over your head... and they attacked my boyfriends truck cause the bumper was shiny and the male peacock thought it was another male. o.O Beautiful, but LOUD and annoying.

I would let the bird sleep with me, but he's so tiny he'd get squished. And of course the last time he had a night fright he was out of his cage napping and SMACK right into the door in his panic and gave himself a big old black eye, I had to baby him for a week and spent hours with him that night making sure he didn't hurt himself any worse than that. I hate night frights! He hasn't had one in months though, thankfully. Giving him his own bedroom away from everything and covering him with two blankets seems to have fixed it.

Ok... yeah... they are a little spoiled.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Poor Chicken bird having one outside of his cage, that must of been awful to see. When I was bird sitting the little bugs it was me who walked into the living room in the night that made them have a night fright. They were hitting there bodies and wings all over the cage and all I could do was try to calm them by talking soft and low to them and it had to be one of the worse things I ever saw a bird do. Mango does have a problem with falling off the perch sometimes when he dont expect us to come around the corner or when he is sitting there and we say something to him, We laugh and tell him his butt is too big but really he has always been clumsy like that. I didnt get to bird sit him this week I was sick and since Mango came with the dog and her dog is a crazy food who I couldnt run around and chase we decided to just have my other sister watch them. I am so bummed because this is the time where we get him for a longer time but it least he lives just 20 minutes down the road.

Dont worry about spoiling the pets, all of mine were spoiled rotten.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

I have always maintained that animals should be spoiled. Why else have them?? That is really neat that your bunny sleeps with you. We had one but like most bunny's she wouldn't sleep with anyone. But otherwise she was really sweet and litter trained. I am glad my bird hasn't had a night terror. Scary. I did record him singing away and when I played it back he alerted and was looking for the other bird in the room. It was cute. I love all of our "kids". P'nut was purposely gotten so I wouldn't be lonely when our youngest daughter leaves home in 2013. She goes into the Army right after graduation. Our rats should live a few years past that. The dog will be around probably another 5 years. But the bird...he is going to be around a long time. I especially love when P'nut just wants to be with me. I have his gym close to my chair (I have a lift chair because of my rheumatoid arthritis) and can tell by his body language he wants to be with me. It is really more fascinating than I thought it would be to have a Cockatiel.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Liz to me a bird is a people pet and all they want to do is be with you. To me no other pet compares to a bird because since they are so small you get to hold them on your chest, let them sit on your shoulder and they just seem to a part of you when they are on you. I hope your P'nut dont miss your daughter too much when she leaves. Boomer went into depression mode when my daughter didnt come home for a night and when she did he was such a happy little bird. P'nut will just need you to love him more when she leaves and he will be OK since he has you to love him.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Liz, hopefully he never has one. It's scary when they flail around like lunatics and won't calm down no matter how much you tell them it's ok.

I agree Deanna, birds are so much more interactive/friendly/part of the family than most animals. Yes I love my buns, I loved my dogs when we had them, but the bird is just there in everything I do and a lot more like a kid than a pet.

It sounds like P'nut is a sweetheart. Hope you two have many many long years together after your daughter leaves, I'm sure P'nut will be quite a comfort.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

Both my pets are babies. It got warm this past week and the snow was melting and huge sheets of it just slide right off the roof when it gets like that. My 80 pound bone head of a dog freaked out when the ice sheet feel. I had Zeus my cockatoo on the floor and in the dog's defense, it did shake the whole house. All of a sudden I see this huge 80 pound dog hiding behind the bird. I nearly ****** myself laughing.

Zeus is pretty fearless when he's on his cage. Had an bald eagle sitting outside the window next to his cage, huuuge bird and Zeus was just jumping around tuning everything out but his new buddy. Poor eagle probably thought Zeus went insane.

Zeus once had a nightmare or something. James forgot to close the cage when he went to bed and I was already asleep, normally no big deal as Zeus never leaves the cage on his own anyway but somehow this birdy managed to fly in the dark from the living room into the bedroom and land on my head. He wanted under the blankie and he wanted cuddles. Poor baby.

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

Yeah I am really glad Sammie hasn't had any night frights. Knock on wood

Though I can't help but snicker when she gets frighten of something in the house because she will just walk around or towards it with her wind spread all the way out. Like "Come on, I can take you. Bring it"

Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

It's cool being able to train them to land on your finger if they get scared though.