Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hurt wing.

Name
    ashley
    Thanks

Question Hurt wing.

Recently I have noticed that my female cockateil has a dropped wing. I have felt around to see if any bones are sticking out and it does not seem to be broken. she can move it and spread it out and acting normal. It just does not look right at all. I was wondering if anyone would have any information as to what may be wrong ???
    thank you

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Hurt wing.

Typically when captive birds have injured their wings it is from catching it on something (cage bars and toys are two of the biggest culprits). I would take her to a vet just to be on the safe side, as some injuries to the wing can cause permanent damage if not treated, making the wing never sit properly again and making flight difficult. There are also so many little bones in a birds wing that it is hard to tell from just feeling it if something is hurt in there, unless you have training.

Name
    ashley
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the reply. I have tried to get her into the vet and she can not be seen until next week and I am just so worried that something is going to happen to her. I have a male and a female bird and I have had to separate them due to the male constantly picking on her. I think that he may have pulled her wing the wrong way.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

It is possible that he could have injured her. Is she flighted? If so, can she fly at all with the wing?

Name
    ashley
    Thanks

Yeah he is a very aggressive bird and I separate them all the time i feel bad because he screams and cries , but i just don't want to take the chance of him harming her. Yesterday I took her out and but her on her perch and she flew a very short distance back to her cage. Today she is moving the wing and stretching it out and holding it up. I'm not to sure at all what he going on ??

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

He may have pecked it, or she could have strained it trying to get away from him. If it is a sprain, a few days rest will heal it up. When she stretches/flies, does she let out a cry like it pains her (a break or fracture would probably give this symptom), or does it just seem to be a little bit stiff and held like a sore arm?

Name
    ashley
    Thanks

When she moves it or flies she does not scream or anything and last night she was holding it up while sleeping and she seemed OK. When I got up this morning it was kinda just dropped a little bit. She is having no problem getting around her cage and is showing no sings of discomfort. Is there anything i can do to help her i have looked everywhere for help ??? I asked the vet what i could do and their response was we can't tell you anything until we see her

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

If it is broken, it would need bandaged and set which a vet would need to do. If it is just a sprain, it will heal with just rest and time. If she isn't showing signs of pain when she moves it, my guess would be just a sprain. Keep an eye on her and make sure it doesn't get worse and she can still get around OK until the vet has an opening. If she ever starts acting ill, or has trouble getting around make her a hospital cage set up (food and water on the floor, keep her warm, etc). Another thing that can cause them pain is broken feathers but since you felt her wing, you would have noticed if she had one of those.

Name
    ashley
    Thanks

Thank you so much for all your help. i just took a picture of Wilma but I'm not sure if i can upload it on here or how to. I'm knew to the site

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Best way is to upload it to photobucket and then link it here via the IMAGE symbol above where the reply box is.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...tures-for-TF-s

Name
    ashley
    Thanks

Last edited by Marrie; 03-21-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

You put the link to your album into the line, so it didn't work, I edited it for you.

Is she bald? What happened? :o

She's a cutie. And yeah that wing does look a little off. Hopefully it will heal up before the vet. Is there no other vet in your area that works with avians?

Name
    ashley
    Thanks

Lol yeah she is bald I got Wilma from a previous owner and she was like that and I was told that the male plucked all her feather off when they mate.I think the lady who had them last did not take care of them very well because they were very timid and nervous around people. I later found out that she had a cat that use to jump on the cage. I live in a very small town and i could not find any vet that works with birds except one. She is very active right now climbing all over the place so I'm hoping that maybe by tomorrow it will be a little better

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Ack, poor baby. Not heard of a male plucking all the feathers off a girl when they mate, we have several breeders on here - sounds like he's been picking on her for a long time. Glad you ended up with them.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Moved this to the tiel section

Name
    ashley
    Thanks

Yeah I looked it up and i have not found anything about males plucking feathers. I am very glad i got them i love my birds and I am so glad that they feel comfortable in my home. They come out the cage now and love people