Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

View Poll Results: Should Amanda give the"Pretty Bird" a home?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Poor little Budgie needs a home!

1 100.00%
  • No. The Budgie would be sad in the cage all day while the dove is out!

0 0%
  • Yes, but only if you stop being lazy and build another cage!

0 0%
    Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Thinking about getting a Budgie...

I've been working with some of the parakeets at work to try and hand tame/socialize them before they get homes. They aren't super social when they leave, but at least they aren't freaked out by hands! One of the keets has been with us for a very long time, because he isn't a "pretty" color (he's mauve? sorta gray-ish with a dark blue tail?). He has been passed over time and time again, despite going to everyone and anyone who will let him "step up". If I make clicking noises - he responds. If I say "Hello" or "Pretty Bird" (I'm the ONLY one who calls him "pretty") - he chirps and ruffles his feathers. While he still goes to everyone, he has been super clingy when I get him out. This week, he crawled inside my bun and held onto my ponytail holder with all his might!

My husband and I were considering giving this guy a home, but... I work all day, 5 days a week. My husband works from home, and our dove spends all day with him. Our little girl is bonded on my husband. She gets angry when I talk to my him, so I hate to think how she'd react to another bird getting to come out if she is locked up.

I'm wondering if it would be OK to leave him in the cage (with lots of toys, things to forage, etc.) while I'm gone? The TV is always on, and my husband and the other pets are home... so he wouldn't be "alone", he just wouldn't get to fly around the house. I feel like it isn't fair to have him locked up all day, but I feel even worse when I see him begging for attention at work (his friends keep getting sold).

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Re: Thinking about getting a Budgie...

Strange no one has adopted such a sweet bird. I personally find gray very classy but I never find one when I'm actually trying to get a budgie.
    I would say if he will get more/better attention in your home than he is now, by all means you should take him since he already seems to have a relationship with you. As long as his cage is roomy enough for him to flutter a little between his perches there shouldn't be anything wrong with keeping him in the cage.

I guess a question might be, how does he interact with the other budgies (or toys for that matter) right now? That could give you an indication of how he will handle being alone.
    When my brother got Rocky, he chose him because he was playing by himself in a corner of the cage; apparently didn't get along with the other budgies... Rocky was often left alone by us, but amused himself by singing to inanimate objects, or even to nothing at all. (I set up a time-lapse video one time, 4 hours of Rocky By Himself; it was hilarious.) He was the happiest budgie I ever knew.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I would take him home and give him his forever loving home that he has wanted and needs. I think since he has already bonded with you he will be OK even if he is in his cage because I am sure your husband will also give it more attention then all his other owners even if it is locked in his cage all day when your not home. It sounds like a sweet little bug and nothing is cuter then a tiny talking budgie. There little voices are so cute!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

I get to play/work with the birds more than anyone else at work. I deep clean the aviary on a weekly basis, and I do most of the spot cleaning during the week (Who knew birds could be so messy!? ). The great thing is, I get to play with the birds. The bad thing is, the birds no longer fear me. At all. It's tough to clean when the birds completely ignore the fact that you're in the cage scrubbing (or in the case of the last GCC, they "help" you clean). It still creeps me out when the birds go completely silent, line up on their perches, and wait for their food.

Anyways, this little guy (my husband calls him "Earl" - as in Earl Grey), doesn't really interact with the other budgies. He is a HUGE fan of the Shredders (palm strip) toys, and will usually go and play by himself. My husband wonders if he does that because every time he makes friends, they get sold ("We want 4 parakeets, we'll take all of the blue, er, 3 of the blue... not that gray one, and one of the others").

People make me sad. They've passed over this little guy, who is AWESOME... and they go for the birds who want nothing more than to bite your face off - just because they're bright and "pretty".

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Creepy silent birds sitting on the perch while I was in there would make me nervous too, sort of like "the birds" movie. But then just to be inside a big aviary with lots of birds would be neat, it has been a dream of mine since I was young.

Little Earl Grey it least has learned how to have fun by himself. It has to be hard on him to see all the other birds come and go and he is still there.

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

We got him. He has been silent since we got home, although he did come sit on me for a few moments. We have his cage all set up with toys (just like the ones I make at work), millet, cuttlebone, etc., and a birdie blanket - which took some inspecting. He hasn't eaten, yet, but he was VERY excited to see that we serve warm water here... in his very own water dish!! The TV is keeping him from taking a nap, but, just like Twitter, he thinks that TV thing is pretty awesome.

I wish that I could get a good picture of his front side, but that will have to wait. I'm still guessing mauve? He has dark blue (dark purple? violet?) cheeks and his chest is blue-grey.

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy you took him home with you, he now will have a perfect forever home with you and your hubby. He is a cutie and after a while he will be so excited about living with you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh, Amanda, he is just "gorgeous". I'm so happy you decided to take him home with you. You will find that budgies are such sweet, and hardy birds. I love the chirping sounds they make. I've had budgies in my home for years and years. I'd be lost without my little budgie, Muffin, and my little hen tiel, Ollie! Good luck with little Earl, and we hope you will keep posting pics and telling us all about your journey with you precious little budgies!

Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Awwwww he's beautiful!
    I can't understand why anyone would think he's not pretty.! He looks almost violet in that picture.

Do you have his cage covered at all? The light colored walls around his cage might be making him more nervous if he doesn't have at least one "dark" wall or corner.
    The last time I brought a budgie home, I couldn't figure out why he seemed so nervous, then I covered the back and top of the cage with a blanket and INSTANTLY he turned from a statue back into a noisy bird (:

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

We covered 2 sides and part of the top of his cage. It didn't seem to change his behavior, but the light did!! His cage is now "sunny" and he has been almost hyper. This is his 3rd day at home, and we've been out of the cage (his choice) about 5 times now. It's only for a minute each time, but he preens, he basks, he eats, gets a drink, then chirps to come out. He ran around my desk, checked out the floor, tried to fly up to the clock. He goes back in on his own.

I also put a shirt on similar in color to what I wear at work. It was as if he hadn't seen me in ages! Birdie kisses on the nose are magical.

We haven't been covering his cage at night. For the last year he has had an uncovered cage and nighttime store lights - so we have a dim nightlight in the room. My husband said he was stuffing his little face at about 7am, which is when I usually fed him at work (he still thinks he has to eat quick). He hasn't touched his toys, but my husband said he was watching the TV all day. He was used to dog noses pressed up against his cage at the store, so he isn't bothered by the cat. Rorschach brought him a jingle ball. I'll be very sad if Earl doesn't get "Hello", but says "Meow" or "Coo-coo"... or some of the colorful words my husband uses while working at home.

Oh, I bought him a small bag of good seeds (since that is what he was used to), but I put some Harrison's pellets in the mix. It would be awesome to have both he and Twitter on the same diet. The good keets at work got the Harrison's Power Treats, so he HAS seen these "pellet" things before now. It's hard to tell how many pellets he has really eaten, but the dish looks pretty used.

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy he was happy to see you and gave you nose kisses. I knew Earl would fit right into your new home and if he says "coo-coo" he is just learning how to talk the hubby and Twitter kind of talk.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow, Amanda! You are a wonderful "bird trainer"!! I would say you are one of a very few caregivers that have accomplished so much with a little budgie in just three days. I think Earl had his eye on "you" in the pet store, and was hoping you would bring him home! And I would definitely say that Earl "fell in love with you" at the pet shop! He knows you are his "mom", and is responding accordingly! I LOVE his coloring!! Keep us posted as you move forward with him and let us know what words he begins to speak!! And of course, we welcome pics anytime!!

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Oh, this guy took a ton of work. They all do.

Usually, after the birds have been quarantined and placed on the floor, I take a few extra minutes while I'm cleaning their cages to watch them. Conures always get "trained" first. As for the parakeets, I'll see if any are curious. I remember getting Earl in, and I remember thinking "Huh, don't see that color often". He landed on my arm, and pooped on me. I trimmed his wings, then put him back. I've had a few others who would stare at me while I cleaned, and I grabbed them, trimmed their wings, put them back in the cage. For the next week or so, I grab the birds with clipped wings, take them out and about, around the store, in the office to do paperwork, or whatever else gets them away from the aviary. After they calm down, I start handing them to coworkers so they don't get attached to me. A few of my coworkers will take them around to do "other stuff". The birdies in training get to go to every meeting they are allowed to, as well as getting to meet every customer who is interested. It's only about 20-30 minutes a day that they get to come out (sometimes more... the last conure "helped" with 3 hours of inventory), but it helps! Some birds work out great, others ... they aren't afraid of hands, so they jump on hands just to bite!!

As for Earl, I've been the only "constant" thing in his life for the last year. He has probably watched me train more than a dozen other birds. I do think he wanted to come home with me, since after he was "trained" I was the only one who played with him. He is a little scared of the camera, so pics will come as I can sneak them in. We've got singing, beak grinding, and grooming down... just need to pose for the camera.

I'm not too freaked out that Twitter broke the quarantine. She flew through two rooms to go check him out, so there was little we could do. She is an expert flyer!! I'm more freaked out when she goes to visit the tortoise - them catching things off of one another would be BAD. Earl has been healthy for the past year, and alone for almost 3 weeks before I brought him home. Well Bird Exams for both coming soon...

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Did Twitter like Earl? I cant blame her for wanting to check out the new bird in her house and I hope they will get along. Poor Earl staying in the shop that long, that makes me even more happier that you took him home with you.

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Twitter went right over to his cage. She was A-OK with him while he was in his cage. She made a few noises, pecked at his cage, and flew away. Earl climbed up on Twitter's cage, and she came right over - to peck (the aggressive pecking she does to me when I get too close). We'll eventually get them on some neutral ground... most likely in the master bathroom, since the sink is easier to run around on. She sees him as a threat to my husband (she doesn't care if I hold him), but I think he sees her as "OMG!! Another bird!!".

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

go for it.most budgies are very sweet.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Cass
    Thanks

Your budgie is very handsome! I can't wait to see more pictures of him

Budgie Enthusiast Brand New Egg budgielove12's Avatar
    Name
    Lexi
    Thanks

It's great that you took him in!

He is very pretty! I wonder why no one took him in..

He looks like a violet opaline

I OWN 16 AWESOME BUDGIES