Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    sonam
    Thanks

Smile Hi, I am a new owner, and I newly joined

hi, I am Sonam and my cockatiels name is Rico. I was just wandering if I should get

him a friend because I am not home for half the day and he just spends his time

sitting there on his perch. Thank you in advance for replies.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Hi, I am a new owner, and I newly joined

First, welcome to the site.

Secondly, when you say half the day, do you mean you are gone 12 hours? Which part of the day is it? How long is he out of the cage with you every day before bed time? Do you have time and money for a second bird, bonding (which means two cages etc while they are getting used to each other) and all the hassle that comes with it until they can be caged together? Can you afford vet care and food for a second?

If your tiel gets about 4 hours a day of your time and has a big cage with plenty of toys and a radio/tv to keep him occupied, he isn't likely to get depressed from being lonely. If he gets less than that and you can handle a second bird, then decide if you do want to get one. There is NEVER a guarantee that birds will get along though, so also think about what happens if they don't like each other (rare with tiels since they are so docile, but happens). And if you want a male / male or male/female, I personally recommend male/male if you don't have much time, as male/female will probably end up with eggs and babies at some point and without much time, it is hard to be a responsible breeder or prevent egg complications.

Asking that question will get you a lot of answers on both sides. Getting one or not is up to you and what you think is best for your home and flock.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Sonam and welcome to the community! I think it depends upon the caregiver's preference as to whether to get a mate for Rico! Of course, if you should decide to get Rico a "friend", and it does turn out to be a female, it is likely that they will mate and the hen will lay eggs. Breeding birds is no easy task, it takes lots of research as well as a super diet, including lots of calcium and fresh veggies and fruits for a hen to lay eggs with a very hard shell. And of course there is always the possibility of egg binding in the female. You might consider keeping a male and female in separate cages, side by side. They certainly would keep each other company when you are away from home. And you also could get Ricco a male friend. Most of the time males get along together, so you most likely could keep them in the same cage if the cage is a bigger one. Tiels need a cage with lots of room due to thee very wide wing span, as well as the need for plenty of exercise each day. And of course, it is good for them to be out of the cage for about 2 hours each day too! There is lots of information right here at Tailfeathers about breeding as well as egg laying. I'm sure some other folks will respond to your question, and give you their opinion as well.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi friend welcome. I'm also new in this site.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    sonam
    Thanks

Hi, marrie
    Thank you so much for replying and giving me great advice and things to think about before getting a new bird.
    So i go to university and spend atleast 12 hours at school and when come home i spend like 2 hours with him because i have tons of homework and other things to do. I don't think I can afford the secound cage or vet care for the secound one, it's very sad but I am only a student.

I am planning if I purchase another bird it should be a male so they don't mate, so I don't have to worry about the breeding.
    And about the radio should I turn the radio on before I go to school, do you think that well keep him occupied?
    Once again thank you for giving me advice.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    sonam
    Thanks

Hi, maxollie
    Thank you so much for your advice.
    I was wondering to get a male friend for rico because I don't want them to breed.
    Also I am very confused because I would want to get him a friend but I don't think I can afford it.
    So i was wondering if I should get him a male budgie friend, because I have seen other who have a cockatiel and budgie in one cage.
    Thank you once again!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    sonam
    Thanks

Hi, welcome to the site.
    What kind of bird do you have?

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Hi, marrie
    Thank you so much for replying and giving me great advice and things to think about before getting a new bird.
    So i go to university and spend atleast 12 hours at school and when come home i spend like 2 hours with him because i have tons of homework and other things to do. I don't think I can afford the secound cage or vet care for the secound one, it's very sad but I am only a student.
    If you can't afford a second cage or vet care for another, I wouldn't get another bird. There is ALWAYS the risk another bird in the home will bring some sort of bacteria, even if it doesn't hurt the "carrier" sometimes they can make your current bird sick. A reputable breeder or pet store makes this less of a risk, but the risk is still there. Plus, sometime during their lives one or the other will need a vet and if you get a second, often things are contagious or environmental, so that would be 2x the cost for treatment.

If you have homework to do, you could let him hang out on a play gym or something (you can train him to stay on it if he won't already, it's all about positive reinforcement) nearby so he is "with" you and you can still do your home work. It still counts as time together even if he isn't your focus. When I had homework and a busy schedule and needed to make time for the pets, I would let them sit with me while I wrote up my papers and such (when I did them at home, instead of the library) and taught them not to interrupt me. If he makes a lot of noise and it bothers you, you can put head phones in or ear plugs so you can concentrate. Always little ways to kind of combine two things when you're busy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    I am planning if I purchase another bird it should be a male so they don't mate, so I don't have to worry about the breeding.
    And about the radio should I turn the radio on before I go to school, do you think that well keep him occupied?
    Once again thank you for giving me advice.
    Yes. Always leave some sort of noise when he will be alone for a while without you, unless it is over night (then it might cause a fright or loss of sleep). You want to leave it on low so he can nap through it if he likes, but just loud enough he has some noise. Birds in the wild only get quiet if there is DANGER so it is unnatural for them to be in complete silence and they are more comfortable with some sort of white noise. I play classical music for my tiel and he even picked up Beethoven's 5th a little, so he does the "duh duh dum..." part in his whistles so he gets to learn while I am away!

Banned Brand New Egg
    Name
    Riley103
    Thanks

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Riley and welcome to the community!! I'll bet you are a bird lover just like I am. What kind of bird(s) do you have. I have a little hen tiel, named Ollie, and a little male budgie named Muffin!! They are the "joy" of my life! Hope to see pics of your little fids, and more info about them, if you have some in your home. See you around the forum!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    sonam
    Thanks

Smile Re: Hi, I am a new owner, and I newly joined

Hii Marrie
    Thank you for your great comments and advice.
    I have decided that I won't be buying another bird because of the price, time etc.
    But I did buy Rico a play gym to keep him occupied when I am busy and I also leave the radio on low when I go to school so he doesn't get bored.
    Thank you! ;D

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Sounds good for him. You can also make your own play gym out of wooden dowels, safe rope and PVC piping if you ever want to add more of them.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi welcome to this forum...