where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: need help

Brand New Egg
    Name
    patty
    Thanks

need help

i rescued a sun conure about a month ago. he is 3 years old. he loves me but hates my sons. how to i get him to stop attacking them. my boys are only at my home a couple days a week. my bird flies at their faces and latches on to their ears. they are very tall and my place is small. not sure if the bird is scared but my kids do not like him. and i need to find out how to make him stop screaming in my ears cause im going deaf. he loves me i believe. doesnt leave my shoulder when i am home. somebody help me dont wanna loose him

Brand New Egg
    Name
    patty
    Thanks

Re: need help

ok thanks guess i will try another site

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: need help

Sorry Patty, I didn't even see this thread when you first posted it, I don't frequent the conure section much (since I don't have too much experience with them) and my browser on my tablet is not a huge fan of the long posting list that "show all recent posts" generates so I miss some!

Conures need to be socialized well. Since he is around them I assume daily, try getting them to maybe take over feeding him / giving treats for a few weeks and see if that helps. It has been successful for some people. As well, if he is feeling hormonal, he may get protective against anything he views as a threat for his "mate" which is you. If he bites, he should get a "No bite" or "No" firmly but not loud or mean, then a time out back in his cage away from you. When he's nice, he should get plenty of attention for being a sweet bird. Positive reinforcement for good behavior, ignoring for bad behavior. Birds hate being ignored. The important thing is to NOT REACT to the bites - which can be hard if your sons are younger, but if they get a big reaction from biting (IE: "OW OW OW BAD BIRD *jerks hand away or swats bird off them*") it will just make them want to bite more. If you come over and take him away from them when he bites, he'll want to bite more (your attention for biting? Cool.) If they are too young to not react, safest would probably be to train your sun to stay away from your sons.

As for the screaming, suns love to scream, so all you can do is try the same positive reinforcement for that but I can't say it is likely to work. Sunnies are considered very LOUD birds and birds like to make their noises to their mates, it is a sign of affection.