Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Hybrid View

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Unhappy My tiel is in the hospital :(

I haven't been around for a while. Over recent years we've moved a few times because I got my dream job, have been robbed etc etc etc. Lots of reasons.
    Through it all, my budgie and my cockatiel (my baby, Jack) have been with me.

Last Thursday I noticed Jack was lethargic. On Friday he'd stopped responding to his favourite song, so I took him to my vet. She said he was dehydrated and gave him 8cc of intravenous flluids. As she was finishing up, Jack started gasping for air and blood came out of his nose, all up my arms and over my hands. I was absolutely inconsolable/hysterical at this point, and she told me to drive him across town *right now* to the bird vet. It was peak hour traffic in Melbourne so we crawled along while I sobbed myself into a migraine.

The avian vet across town admitted him to hospital on Friday afternoon and began to crop feed him and give him Baytril for high bacteria levels.
    Today I get a phone call - he's losing weight still, they need to do an x-ray to find out for certain if he has heavy metal poisoning...and they can feel a mass in his lower abdomen. I get a phone call later today saying the x-ray was clear but Jack's intestines are more 'cramped up' than usual, it could still be an infection. They don't know. They've swapped his antibiotics to something stronger, and will have another vet check him tomorrow.

I am really having trouble coping with it all, and everyone just keeps saying 'it's just a bird...remember...don't get another one when next week when he's dead'.
    I'm very scared for him, and am hoping someone will have an idea of what it could be.

Thanks
    Sarah

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Re: My tiel is in the hospital :(

Jack had surgery yesterday to remove an obstruction they found - a green string from a rope perch.

He survived the operation but passed away overnight.

Just thought I'd bother with an update to warn against rope perches, and for anyone who might have been interested.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Oh no i am so sorry to hear he didnt make it it isnt just a bird and our babies steal our hearts. Thank you for the warning on rope perches, how awful something like that had to happen to learn about it though. Fly free Jack.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so sorry Sarah and dont listen to anyone who tells you Jack was just a bird because in us bird lovers they are so much more and it is there problem if they cannot understand how awful and sad you must feel right now. You did what you could do to try to save your Jack and its too bad he couldnt make it through it. I can tell you really loved him and its OK to cry because its what we do when we lose a loved one. When boomer died someone gave me this link to the poem "lend me a bird" and it for some reason made me feel better about losing him. I still cant read it without getting tears in my eyes but that is what happens when we loved them. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Lend-Me-a-Bird

Fly free Jack...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss. Jack wasn't just another bird, he was part of your family. You did all the right things, so please don't be so hard on yourself. Cockatiels do hide their illnesses quite well. In the past, I have used rope perches, but now after reading your post, I think I will stick to the wood ones instead. I actually printed out the poem that Deanna provided the link for, and it did make me feel better about losing a beloved fid. And like Deanna, I get teary eyed when I read it. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    John
    Thanks

That is very sad. I wish that you can find peace. I hope that bird lovers will take note of the dangers with rope toys. Jack didn't die in vain, he will live on in a new life and be happy knowing that he has left great memories for you.

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Thankyou for the lovely replies. I do hope that Jack's passing helps to save others from losing their birds the same way. Jack loved his rope perches and always had at least one.

I really appreciate the link to that poem too.

I still haven't brought myself to clean out his cage. I walked past it today and noticed a single feather lying on the bottom. I swear to God it wasn't there last week when I was looking for absolutely anything to hold onto. I guess I must have missed it last week in my desperation to find any small part of him left...I'm glad I saw it today though.

I'm still in tears at least once a day. My budgie keeps calling to him - "Hey Jack Jack" "Jack Jack Jackie" and then whistling bits and pieces of his tunes too.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

((((hugs))))) to you. So sorry to hear about Jack. These babies are part of our families.
    Gracies Momma

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Really sorry about this... big hugs. I would have never imagined rope perches to be dangerous like that. :/
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Dont rush cleaning out his cage because the time will come when you feel it is right. I knew I never could use boomers cage again just because it was his all his life so once I cleaned it out I donated it to the local rescue so they could use it for the sick and hurt birds they take care of. I am happy your found his feather today and I think somehow they give us these tiny feathers right when we need them the most.

I am happy your feeling better now, in time you will smile when you think of him instead of crying.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.