Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

cockatiel laid two eggs at the same time.

i have a single female cockatiel who is 2 1/2 yrs. she's laid eggs once a year (around march) till now & she lays around 9 top 11 eggs in a clutch, but since aug 2011 she has been laying eggs every 2 months or so. she last ended her clutch in jan mid when she laid 10 eggs. And on 24th march (SAT) she again started laying. the 2nd egg came on 27th(TUESDAY). she usually lays after 2 days like 48 to 60 hours gap. but after the 2nd egg she dint lay she was not egg bound or something like that but she was tail bobbing & had a wide stance to her legs while sitting on the perch. she dint lay till sunday but on monday morning she laid two eggs together. one was hard while one was soft & dented . i dont know how difficult it was for her or if she laid them together or with a few min interval as i was not around for 2 to three hours. but she was tail bobbing & breathing open mouthed for a few hours after that. her pop was fine no blood. but there was some poop around her vent which she cleaned up. She is eating normally & was breathing normally by night. what kind of problems can arise if they lay two eggs at a time. i dont know it i should try & unsettle her so that she is discouraged to lay. i havent left the eggs with her so that she eats & drinks properly & i can monitor her behavior. also i feel that with her sometimes if i leave the eggs with her she gets encouraged to lay more. this kind of laying two eggs at a time hasnt happened to her before she always laid eggs quite easily. please help with whatever information u can give on this.
    thanks

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: cockatiel laid two eggs at the same time.

Moved this to tiel breeding and babies section, since it is more likely to get the breeders attention.

I can't say I have heard of a bird laying two eggs at once. I would keep a close eye on her for egg binding given that she did though.

I know it is usually recommended to leave the eggs or the bird will reclutch to make up for lost eggs. That may be why she is doing it every 2 months, since usually they would clutch and then lay on them for a while then get bored. Have you discussed her egg laying with your vet? They can sometimes give something so the bird lays less if it begins to cause health issues.

I am not a breeder though, so this is just all what I have heard from other people asking for advice from the breeders. I can't speak from first hand experience.

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

I would say to leave them with her for now. 10 eggs is a lot! She must be losing a lot of calcium from all the excess laying, I would recomend crushing up some egg shells into her food, and/or feeding her some plain scambled eggs. Does she have a nest? If she does it should be taken away, once she gets tired of this clutch. If she is just nesting on the bottom of the cage I would suggest using a grate.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It seems to me that your tiel definitely needs more calcium in her diet. Since you say one of the eggs she laid was hard shelled and the other one was soft and dented, in my opinion that would indicate she is very low on calcium in her body. Chronic egg laying is very hard on a tiels body because they require lots of calcium, fresh fruits, veggies, leaf lettuce, kale, and even whole wheat bread and grains to keep their calcium level and their health at peak level. 9-11 eggs is a large clutch. Generally they lay about 4-5 eggs. I would definitely consider taking her to a vet and have her checked out. They might even have you consider giving her lupron, which is a shot that is given to help stop them from laying eggs all of the time.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

hi ,
    sorry fr the delay in reply. ive always left the eggs with her till now but she continues to lay unlees ive taken them away frm her. only this time i had taken the eggs frm her. but ive again left the eggs with her she sits on them occasionally but otherwise ignores them. ive started adding liquid calcium to her water she hasnt laid an egg since monday till now. ive asked 2 vets about the lupron injections but they said they r not safe. how has been ur experience with the lupron injections if any of u have used them on ur birds.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I've never used the lupron injections myself. I have some friends that have tried them and had success with them. I think that decision has to be left up to the bird owner. Personally, I wouldn't feel good about giving my little tiel the lupron either. But with a chronic egg layer, we definitely have to be sure to give our hens plenty of calcium because of the stress it puts on their body by laying the eggs month after month. There are foods that also have calcium in them that you could try too. I feed whole wheat bread (either soft or toast), broccoli (small raw pieces or cooked . . serve any cooked foods at luke warm never hot). Also there are some good whole grain cereals like "grapenuts" that have calcium in them. And of course you need to use cuttle bones. I've never tried the liquid calcium.

I have a little hen tiel named Ollie, who started laying eggs each month since last September. I was very concerned about her laying every month. She laid about 4-5 eggs each clutch. She also would lose interest pretty fast in setting on the eggs, until February, when she laid 4 eggs, and sat on them constantly. And of course since they were not fertilized (I don't have a male tiel in my home), they did not hatch, and she abandoned them, one by one. In March she laid 4 eggs, and completely ignored them, never once sitting on them. I left them in the cage for the entire 30 days. Since then she hasn't laid any more. I am so grateful. Another thing I did was to start feeding her Harrisons pellets along with her regular bird seed, a couple of months ago. And I think the nutrients in those pellets also helped to keep her body healthy and full of the calcium she needed along with the other foods I fed her. You might consider trying to find some Harrison Fine Pellets in your area and feed them. They definitely have wonderful nutrients that would benefit your hen.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    naqshpa
    Thanks

even my tiel dosent have a male, but she always shows lots of mating behaviour with her tail up against her cage n making squeaking noises. she hasnt laid till now & is showing no signs of tail bobbing so im not sure if an egg is building up inside or not. i hope the incident of two eggs coming together would have discouraged her to lay for now. im thinking of trying homeopathy for her. ive tried sepia with her before which had given good results but dosent seem to be working now. ill have to find another remedy. im going to try n reduce light hours till then