Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Flightsuits and Balance

So I've been using a Flightsuit on my bird for a while now, as a harness for when we go on walks. As many times as she's worn it, however, she never seems to get used to wearing it - as in, her balance is off. For example, when I try to get her to step up, she falls backwards. She just seems awkward in it. I have two sizes - medium and large. I originally got the large, but it seemed too big so I got a medium too, which is snug on her. She loses her balance in both of them, so I'm guessing it's not a size thing.

It works fine for right now since I only use it when I take her outside, but it would be nice to be able to diaper her for her extended out-of-cage time around the house, too. But it's not going to be very enjoyable for her if she's constantly off-balance!

I'm worried that it may be the actual diaper pouch part that is throwing her off. It doesn't seem heavy to me, but then again, she is much smaller than I am so it may well be heavy for her.

But I'm hoping I'm wrong and it's something else about the Flightsuit that is making her lose her balance.

Jungle Wear is another diaper option, but they look very similar in structure to the Flightsuit. I found a website that does custom-made diaper/harnesses for pigeons (and doves, I'm assuming) - birdwearonline.com - and they are certainly different from the Flightsuit. Is anyone familiar with their "PG Wear"? Would it perhaps be less likely to interfere with her movement and throw her off? Has anyone else who uses the Flightsuit had ongoing troubles with balance?

I love my doves, Calliope & Calypso <3

CALLIOPE ("kə-LIE-ə-pee"): from the Ancient Greek Καλλιόπη, meaning "beautiful voice".
    CALYPSO ("kə-LIP-so"): from the Ancient Greek Καλυψω, meaning "she that conceals".

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Flightsuits and Balance

Flight suits aren't really designed to be worn while flying around like they would do inside. It's more for safely letting a bird sit on your shoulder while walking around, where the extra weight won't be a problem. The larger birds most likely can handle it a lot better as the weight isn't as bad for them, but a smaller bird I don't think they could make a light weight enough material for it to be comfortable for extended inside playtimes. If the poop is bothering you, have you tried training her/him to not go in certain places?

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Re: Flightsuits and Balance

Hmm, that's an idea. I never thought a dove would be potty-trainable, I assumed that was probably just the hookbills since they are considered more "intelligent". I suppose it's worth a shot, but I'm guessing it will take a long time.

Unfortunately, the lady at Bird Wear said she has had people try PG Wear on doves and it didn't work out. She is, however, going to sew me up a prototype in a week or so of some Dove Wear she's been working on. Maybe that will be a better alternative to the Flightsuit.

I love my doves, Calliope & Calypso <3

CALLIOPE ("kə-LIE-ə-pee"): from the Ancient Greek Καλλιόπη, meaning "beautiful voice".
    CALYPSO ("kə-LIP-so"): from the Ancient Greek Καλυψω, meaning "she that conceals".