Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Cool Show off your cages!

So, after a lot of rearranging (and impatiently chucking out the nest before she was done sitting... hehe :P) I've finally settled on a layout for Calliope's new cage. I have to say I'm quite happy with/proud of it, so I wanted to show it off. I invite you all to do the same - I'd love to see what other people's cages look like! Give a list of the product names of the cage and accessories if you want to and can remember them, in case other people like something you have and want to get it

A&E flight cage with stand, model #13221, in black

Booda Comfy Perches, large, 28"
    Birdsafe Store Double-End Birch Perch, 32"
    All Living Things Fir Perches, 10" and 12"

Planit Four-Way Treat Cups in blue and green (they're a little tough to track down but I love them! I use the blue ones for food and treats and the green ones for grit and powdered cuttlebone)
    Super Pet Small Animal Water Bottle, 8 oz

Platinum Tweeter Toys Shooting Stars
    Planet Pleasures Caterpillar Toy, Small

Comments welcome, and I hope to see your cages soon too!

I love my doves, Calliope & Calypso <3

CALLIOPE ("kə-LIE-ə-pee"): from the Ancient Greek Καλλιόπη, meaning "beautiful voice".
    CALYPSO ("kə-LIP-so"): from the Ancient Greek Καλυψω, meaning "she that conceals".

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Show off your cages!

Nice cage and your Calliope is adorable. I really like her big birch perch, I dont think I ever saw a perch that big and I bet Mango my sisters amazon would love it. Did it cost lots for it? I make him manzanita perches which grows like weeds where I live but they are somewhat slippery.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Thanks The birch perch is great, isn't it? I ordered it from The Birdsafe Store. You get to pick the diameter and the exact length - I got two because I'm going to set up an identical cage for when I go to Canada with her. Mine were $22 each, which isn't bad at all considering the size and the quality. Here's the link: http://www.birdsafestore.com/Custom_...h_p/bsp-db.htm

CALLIOPE ("kə-LIE-ə-pee"): from the Ancient Greek Καλλιόπη, meaning "beautiful voice".
    CALYPSO ("kə-LIP-so"): from the Ancient Greek Καλυψω, meaning "she that conceals".

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Thanks for providing the link. I have been looking for several additional perches with different diameters. Seems like it's very well made. What I like is that it's made to your specifications.

I like your flight cage and your Calliope is absolutely beautiful.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I can't get a picture of mine, it's by a window and the sun is just whiting out the image when I clean it i'll try to grab a shot since I have to move it.

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

You're welcome! I like getting perches of different diameters too, I think it's good to give their feet some variety.

I would love to see yours whenever you're able to get a picture of it, Marrie There's a window close-ish to my cage too so I had to draw the curtains!

The only thing I don't like about the birch perch is that I imagine all that papery, peeling bark would make it difficult to clean. Luckily Calliope's poops are back to their usual, non-wet consistency (they went a little watery for a week or so after I finished switching her onto pellets because she was drinking a lot more) so it shouldn't be too hard to just scrape them off. I looked for a thick perch made of dragonwood or manzanita or something but I had trouble finding anything with nearly that diameter. She likes to peck and pull at the bark where it starts to peel though, and I think that's probably fun for her.
    Last edited by Eliz Aisling; 04-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Poop is really not hard to clean off the various woods, the worst is when it gets into cracks etc, then it takes soaking and scraping (yuck) but off bark you just take a wet wash rag and let it sit on the spot for a few minutes, then gently wipe off. No scrubbing, so no damaging the bark. My tiel likes a variety of woods, so I have a few types in his cage.

I don't have curtains, we have blinds and they don't block the light well enough. I have to clean the cage in the next few days so I should get one up soon.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I wished there was a cheap way to mail manzanita to people because we have tons of it here and it would make great bird stands and perches for all of you. Mango loves the manzanita ones I make for him because I leave tiny branches on it so it can scratch his big fat head on them. Boomer hated manzanita perches because his tiny feet couldnt hang on but I never made them before and I think I might have made his with too small of wood.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

...nobody wants to post pics of their cages? Sad face

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post
    Poop is really not hard to clean off the various woods, the worst is when it gets into cracks etc, then it takes soaking and scraping (yuck) but off bark you just take a wet wash rag and let it sit on the spot for a few minutes, then gently wipe off. No scrubbing, so no damaging the bark. My tiel likes a variety of woods, so I have a few types in his cage.
    Have you tried the products like 'Avi-Clean' or 'Poop Off'? I use Avi-Clean and it works wonders. I've been cleaning iguana poop off of grape root for years. I usually soaked the wood in bleach solution, but with Avi-Clean it comes right off without soaking. I gave away my iguana recently, so I'm only left with birdie poop, LOLOL!!
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eliz Aisling View Post
    ...nobody wants to post pics of their cages? Sad face
    Hokay, Elizabeth!! I'll post some of my cage photos. I have a variety of cages.

One is a finch flight cage which is 30x15x18. I use that one for my parrotlets for now. I also keep 2 on hand for new acquisitions and in case I need a hospital cage.

Another is one that I built myself. It's 3 feet by 2 feet by 5 feet. It has plexiglas sliding doors (doors alone cost over $100.00 to build!). I used to have my sparrows in it. I also had used it for my iguanas. I gave it away when I adopted out my iguana.

Another is a huge cage. It's black, has 2 platforms and 2 ladders. It's 32 by 18 by 69. Little Gabby my blue Indian Ringneck is in that one. Here it is when I set it up for both Indian Ringnecks.

And, finally, I have 4 white cages. Each has 1 platform and 1 ladder. They're 32 by 20 by 53. My sparrows are in one, and my cockatiel and conure each have their own. This is a photo from the seller's website:
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Awesome That cage you made is pretty cool! I wish I was that hand

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Food Bar: This is only there for them to have a place where some food is always on hand.
    They get food in other places as well.
    I have another cage set up at all times for anyone who comes to stay. But cannot find any photos of it. And I have a small hospital cage and another spare large cage.

*****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Hi Elis

My cage is exactly the same as yours lock and everything except for the patterning onm thjat cage doors and probasbly the size of the cage!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive