Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sore wings?

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Sore wings?

Earl, our new budgie, has been adjusting fairly well to his new home. I think... I was concerned about the "sneezing", but I felt so much better when I realized his "sneezes" were: 1. Blowing Harrison's Mash out of his little nose. (We're switching to super fine slowly, he saw Twitter eating mash, though) 2. Trying to get cat fur off of his nose. I still scheduled a vet appointment, but they didn't think it was urgent - he has been living away from other birds, animals, etc., in a "clean room" for about a month. The sleeping also bothered me, until my husband pointed something out. Earl has been locked in a tiny cage for about a year, and an even tinier cage for a month before he came home. His wings have been trimmed a few times. For that year, his activity level has been nearly zero, zilch... nothing.

We've been taking Earl out of his cage, about 20 minutes at a time, 4-6 times a day. He gives kisses, runs across shoulders, runs on the window sill, hops/attempts to fly from the living room to the office, climbs the cat tree (floor to ceiling), hops on the shelves back down, and does "step up" like a madman (he thinks every time he sees a finger, he needs to "step up"... trying to pet him). When we put him back in the cage, the little guy nearly passes out. Last night, he didn't even crawl on his swing to sleep - he slept on his food dish. During the day, he takes a nap, chows down on his food, gets a drink... then begs to come back out. Forget toys, that cat tree rocks!! We've tried to take things slower, but when he's out - he wants to explore. The cat's crinkle tube freaked him out the first time, but now he loves running through it (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...62274&lmdn=Cat). He NEVER talked before we got him... he was always the "quiet little blue 'keet". Now, he won't shut up.

OK, so we do have a little issue? My husband thinks he's sore, but I worry that it might be something else? He constantly stretches, and he was holding his wings strange this morning... like he had flown cross country or something. Overheating? Sore wings? Something worse? The vet appointment isn't for another week, so until then I'll probably worry about EVERYTHING.

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Sore wings?

If his activity level was so low due to being cage bound, it could just be sore muscles. He will have to build up his flight muscles and they can get sore just like us if we work out. It's also possible if you are letting his wings grow out that a feather is poking him uncomfortably (ever seen a flight feather growing? looks painful). If he's still flying and moving it and isn't screaming in pain, it isn't likely anything broken or anything like that, so shouldn't be too much to wait for his vet appointment.

Glad he's coming out of his shell. I love little budgies, they are so funny and playful.

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

I just worry about anything my guys and girl do that remotely looks/sounds less than ideal. Earl fell asleep ON the cat tree today, and seemed highly annoyed at me for waking him. I, of course, missed the chance at an awesome photo by asking "Earl. Earl. Aw, poor guy. Are you OK!?". I guess it just takes time to learn what is "normal" for each of the fids.

I checked his wings, and I didn't see anything... no screaming, so I'm assuming he's just tired. Exploring is such a workout!

The Golf Channel tired him out today. He was trying to find the birds on the TV. Maybe they were IN the TV? Behind it? Under the TV stand? He checked for those birds for about 10 minutes after changing the channel.

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Hehe yeah, it's like having a little kid, you worry about everything when you first bring them home then it gets more "oh he's fine" unless it's something serious. My tiel likes to nap on things too ... the other day he took a nap in the rabbit carrier Sounds like Earl finds the cat tree comfy.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am the type of person who worries too so you are not alone being worried about him. Each time I bird sit a new bird here I worry it is sick because you would be surprised how different each bird poops look and all of them have odd little things they do. I think your hubby is right saying he is sore because little Earl never had so much freedom and it sounds like he is taking advantage of it and having a blast living the free life. If you get too worried about him I would try to make his check up sooner just to ease your mind.

I am happy he is so happy with you two and hopefully soon his muscles will get stronger so he can really explore and have fun seeing all the new things at your house.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.