Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: I got my baby today!

Gabby is walking already?? It's growing into those large feet pretty quick..

I knew about Henry, but I didn't know about Riley. I think Henry is going to like his new friend. I am so excited for you Pat!! You get to watch all seven babies grow!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

@Deanna: he's really funny to watch when he walks. But he's quick so I have to keep a close eye on him when I feed him. Gotta lightly restrain him in his little feeding box or he might just climb out.

@Carolyn: after I had Henry for a few weeks, the dealer said he was willing to swap Henry for a younger one that needed hand feeding since I like to raise them that young. It broke my heart that he would ask me to give up my little baby Henry. And wouldn't you just know it - I got one of the new babies. Glad I did. He and Henry are fabulous together! And they still come to me. Henry's letting me hold him in my hand. He hadn't done that at first because he was so scared of the new home.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Gabby is growing into his feet! Such a sweetheart. My tiel is the same way about certain things on the screens, he likes anything that moves around and looks like a bug or bird and will chase the mouse pointer or moving characters on my computer monitor and hates when it is turned off when he's busy playing Don't know how you handle seven birds! I have enough time keeping up with one, two is going to be my limit.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

He was sure young when you first brought him home. Yes, the feet look huge at that time. In second picture 4 days later, he is already looking better. You will get to see him daily bloom into a beautiful bird.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Pat!! Awwwww!!! What sweet pics you take! Gabby is simply "gorgeous"!! And I LOVE the pics of Misty, Henry and Riley too!! You are an AWESOME photographer, and birdy parront!! Gabby is growing by leaps and bounds! Your talent for caring for them sure does shine through the pics!! They look like they all are so content and happy!!

Several years ago I had 13 birds in my home. 4 tiels and 9 budgies!! I loved every minute of caring and interacting with them. 4 of the budgies were babies that hatched from a pair that I bred. The only time I ever bred birds, and those little babies were the cutest and sweetest budgies!! If I had the opportunity, I'd have an aviary full of all kinds of birds. I just simply LOVE them!!

Thanks for sharing your journey with Gabby, Misty, Riley, Henry, Kahnee, and all of your flock!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-12-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks everyone! My passion has always been birds. But I only ever had 3 birds at any given time until I began to rescue injured birds that came in to the store hurt in shipping. Instead of letting them be euthanized, I bought them and patched them up. I had up to 38 birds - mostly finches. No breeding!

Since I got a neck injury at a different job, I had to give up all my birds. I had a friend who was a bird dealer who took them in. Now, these 7 are my maximum. I'm home all day so I have plenty of time to devote to the birds. I have a recording of little Henry learning to say 'baby bird'. They all talk, except for Riley and Gabby. They're still too young.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You sure are a special person to have taken the injured birds into your home and nursed them back to health. I've seen finches in the pet shop, but have never had one in my home. I love tiels and budgies myself. I also stay at home all day, so my two babies are very spoiled and expect me to be sitting close by them in my recliner each day. Since you cannot work due to injury, I do believe having your flock is wonderful therapy and gives you positive energy and something to keep you busy each day. I have been disabled for about 10 years, due to spinal and lumbar disc issues. Since I cannot work any longer, my birds have been my "savior". They are my "kids", and I would be lost without them.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I found out that Gabby is a girl. I took her to the dealer's shop today just for a checkup and he later called the breeder. He then found out that the breeder had dna sexed all the babies and found out that Gabby's a female.

Oh, and today Gabby cuddled with me for the first time! She also nibbled on a piece of dried papaya like it was a lollipop. Just kept licking it and trying to bite it. That kept her happy for 2 hours, lol.

She also managed to climb to the top of a birdie tent I put in her cage. She's quite the gal already!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh that is just "awesome"! A little girl! Gabby! Her name suits her perfectly!! She is growing sooooooo fast, already cuddling and nibbling on the papaya. And I have a good feeling that someone by the name of Pat is also so "happy" to be her parront, and to cuddle with her!! You are enjoying these precious days with her while she is a baby and will always remember them. Sounds like those "big feet" of hers will definitely make her a strong climber!! Keep those pics and posts coming our way! I love to read all about your flock!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Since you asked, Ellen, here's a few pics of Gabby and the parrotlets playing together:

Henry watching Gabby climb on the playpen edge:

The Three Amigos:

Gabby asking Riley to feed her:

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Pat,
    You sure do know how to capture a moment. Henry, Riley and Gabby are growing very quickly. I was amazed that Gabby was on perch already. Please keep the pics coming. I always look forward to looking at this thread. It's always guarantees a smile on my face.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

She perched all by herself! She comes when I call her. I put a 'diaper' (bar towel) down in front of her and tap it with my hand. She walks right over to it. I played with syringe training her today. After she eats, she keeps her eye on the feeding syringe, so I dipped it in formula and had her walk in different directions. Each time she did it, I let her taste the tip of the syringe. LOL.

Her heels are not strong enough yet for her to use an actual perch, but she's working on it little by little.

Just a note: I watched some Youtube videos of IRNs a little older than Gabby and they were kept in a very small brooder box where all they could do was to huddle with each other. When they were taken out to feed, they were not able to walk at all. Made me sad.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I just had to post this picture. Kahnee needed to be reassured that he's still a baby. I held Gabby on my chest in her blankie and Kahnee had to be swaddled with her. The photo's not that good 'cuz I took it while they were both sitting on my chest, but I thought you'd all enjoy it:

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! The pics are beautiful!! I too believe that when a new bird is added to the flock, all of the other birds definitely are aware of the new one, and I will give extra attention to them too. The colors of Henry, Riley and Kahnee are so vibrant. And Gabby's feathers are growing in quite nicely. She is going to have quite the plumage.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I just love how you spoil your babies Pat!!! I laugh because Kahnee likes to be swaddled too. Your conure seems to make sure that he doesn't miss out on any activities.

You sure are raising some beauties. Keep the "Watch Me Grow" pics coming. They all are absolutely precious.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen and Carolyn! No new pics yet, but Gabby is a lot quieter. She's becoming more aware of what's going on. She comes when I call her and then snuggles her head against my chest. She now tells me when she's sleepy by putting her head down into the towel. I love how she sits with her big toes curled upwards. I've never seen a bird do that before.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am in love with all of your birds, they are all so cute and so loving to each other. I just cant get the smile off of my face every time I see your new pictures. I think it is great that your house is full of one big happy flock and very grateful you are making us all part of it through your pictures.

Thanks for my huge smile after looking at the new pictures
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thanks for the nice words, Deanna. Gabby's getting more feathers so I hope to get some pics in a few days. She's got about 3 (LOL) cute feathers - kind of light turquoise - started near her legs. She's so funny.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

New photos of Gabby with her dollie. She loves the little plush birdie I put in her cage. She snuggles with it and preens it.

She's also nibbling on a millet spray for the first time. I saw empty hulls, so she's actually eating the seeds properly.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Awwww She is as almost as big as her stuffed birdie.. I find it very cute that she loves to snuggle and preen her.. My gut is telling me that Gabby is going to be a little lover..

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

She is so cute! I think she is going to be a lover bird too.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm trying to get a photo of her using her foot to pick things up. She was picking up the millet spray, then she held her foot up in a closed position and working it. I'm so excited to see her progress.

Her little nest mate at the dealer's store is just sitting in a brooder box with baby cockatiels. I wish that bird could have a chance to play with toys and practice walking, climbing and grasping like Gabby does.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh no... not good that your thinking about her nest mate Pat. Especially since you had to go get Henry his friend Riley... I cant blame you for thinking about how much Gabby's nest mate would be enjoying all the things that little Gabby doing right now.

I LOVE it when birds hold things in there foot, lovies dont do that but Mango sure does and its so cute!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Oh no... not good that your thinking about her nest mate Pat. Especially since you had to go get Henry his friend Riley... I cant blame you for thinking about how much Gabby's nest mate would be enjoying all the things that little Gabby doing right now.

I LOVE it when birds hold things in there foot, lovies dont do that but Mango sure does and its so cute!
    LOL @ Deanna!! Yeah, all I have to do is barely mention the other IRN and my daughter goes ballistic saying 'you're not buying ANOTHER ONE, are you??!!' No, I'm not going to buy the other one... maybe. But now that you mention it....

I did it in the middle of writing this post...

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh My Goodness!! Now that is a "perfect" mate for Gabby!! I can hardly wait to see how "fast" that little guy starts growing now that you have gotten ahold of him/her!! They are gorgeous!! And the pic of Gabby with the dollie is precious!