Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I got my baby today!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: I got my baby today!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipers Mom View Post
    Thanks Pat...

But you still hold the Bird Mom of the Year award...
    Hahaha @ Carolyn.. I think we'll have a contest regarding that as everyone watches your gorgeous new baby Tango grow up.

Wow, this thread got long fast! Thanks everyone for sharing my babies' journey!!
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 05-03-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    All seven of the flock are 3 years old already! Tubbie and Sweetie are looking forward to their 4th birthday. Pretty good for sparrows!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

If your not posting any more in this post I hope you will be posting us lots of other new posts in the very near future because I love looking at your birds. I will be looking for the new ones of all your birds just because your flock is so cute and you know how to take great photos.

I forgot to ask you about the pine cone with the vegetables stuffed inside of it. I have lots of pine cones here but I never use them because they have tiny sharp edges on each of the leaves, does the one you bought have these sharp points on them as well. I would love to make Mango some cones but I dont really want to break off each and every point off of the cones to make sure he dont get poked from the point. The points are sharp enough that if you grab one in your hand it feels like a pin prick in your finger and sometimes they make you bleed. But then the Jays and squirrels up here have no problem ripping into the cones to get the pine nuts out of them so I honestly dont think they would hurt Mango's "Amazon" beak. What do you think Pat?
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Deanna, I don't know about pine cones you'd find outdoors. Maybe someone else could let you know. However, these pine cones are real pine cones stuffed with goodies, like peas and carrots, coconut, and sunflower seeds.

Here's a link to Amazon's coconut pine cone, and it shows the other flavors on that page. You can pick them up at pet stores, too. I get mine from the bird dealer. They're so inexpensive that I personally wouldn't want to risk getting ones off the ground unless I knew what I was doing and how to treat the pine cones, which I don't.

http://www.amazon.com/Vita-Verde-Can.../dp/B003PSQEEK

And, yes I would like to post more pics. Do you think I should keep this thread open? If so, I will continue to post here.
    All seven of the flock are 3 years old already! Tubbie and Sweetie are looking forward to their 4th birthday. Pretty good for sparrows!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I read on another forum that you can put cones and even branches you want to use for perches in a oven on a low tempeture for a couple of hours to kill the germs and bugs that may in them and that will make them safe for our birds. I just dont know how to handle the sharp spikes on the ends of the cones and these spikes are on all the pine cones we find up here in the mountains. Up at Lake Tahoe they have these huge nice pine cones that I really want to to use for Mango but they even have bigger sharp spikes on the ends of them. We have made wild bird feeders out of the cones up here with Peanut butter and seed mix and they go crazy over them but I dont know if Mangos tender indoor body can handle eating around these sharp points as well as the wild ones can. I guess I will just have to buy the ones from the stores for him and give up on my idea of using my cones for his treat.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Please Pat... Keep this thread going!! So many visit this thread each day always looking forward to pics and updates on Gabby, Chauncey and the rest of your beautiful flock!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pipers Mom View Post
    Please Pat... Keep this thread going!! So many visit this thread each day always looking forward to pics and updates on Gabby, Chauncey and the rest of your beautiful flock!!
    Okay. I'll edit a previous post, then, where I offered to post elsewhere.

I'll keep posting on this thread!!

Update: the 2 babies took their first baths today. I ran the water on 'spray' in the kitchen sink. Gabby looked like she wanted to dive in, but she didn't. I placed her in the sink and splashed her a little. She loved it. So she began to play in the water. So cool. Chauncey enjoyed the water, too. But he was more passive about it. Still, it was fun for both of them.
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 05-03-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

@Deanna: Here's a link to the instructions for selecting and preparing pine cones for birds:

http://birdcage.net/2011/04/13/are-p...r-your-parrot/

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Don't you just love to bathe them?? Sounds like they had a great time in their "bathtub"!! I'm seconding Carolyn's motion: Yes, please keep this thread going!! Love to hear all about your flock and the new babies!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy they both enjoyed there bath and what a great idea getting them use to taking them while they are still young.

Thanks for the pine cone post Pat, now I know exactly what to do to make nice pinecones for Mango and all the other birds I know around here. I think Mango might have a house guest soon, a BIG cockatoo and I bet both of them would enjoy cones packed with dried vegetables and fruits in them. I love spoiling birds!
    Last edited by boomer girl; 05-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Oh, very cool! How about posting some pictures of your pine cones when you're done... I'd LOVE to see them. Sounds like you have some great ideas. Have fun with the cockatoo!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Sam is a super sweet Too except he is known to all the sudden bite you. His owner ended up with his lip almost ripped off recently so I will only admire him through the cage. I will take some pictures once I do them which will be hopefully this coming week. I need to go down to the store in the valley to buy dehydrated fruits and vegetables because they dont have them at the stores up here. I am going to Tahoe tomorrow so I might get lucky and find some big nice cones up there for them. I am happy I seen your cones you bought because I never thought of dried fruits stashed in cones before. I am excited!!

I am disappointed, no pictures from you today Maybe tomorrow we can see your babies.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I am disappointed, no pictures from you today Maybe tomorrow we can see your babies.
    Sorry Deanna. Been busy today collecting rents and doing other stuff. But, here's some videos for ya!

Here's Chauncey and Gabby in the little drawer I put them in when I feed them. They're waiting while I mix the formula:
    http://youtu.be/aqCJxUHn8Do

Here's Misty the babysitter with Chauncey while he was in his little ferret bed.
    http://youtu.be/3iC6dUoCFtU

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my gosh Chauncey sure is eager to get fed and I got to wonder what Gabby thinks about his begging and begging noises he makes waiting for you to feed them. I LOVE the little tail nibble that Misty gave Chauncey when he turned his back. I am so happy you posted these for me tonight so I could see them because I loved both of the videos. Thanks Pat.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Glad you liked the videos, Deanna. I missed a couple of good ones. As I had said before, I put the ringnecks in the little ferret bed when I carry them around and after they eat. After they eat, I sit in my chair, rock them and sing 'rock a baby birdie' to them, LOL. So, now they're accustomed to the ferret bed as their little nest.

I carried them over to the countertop to feed them and Gabby climbed out of the ferret bed and into the 'high chair' drawer all by herself. When she was done eating, she climbed back out and into her ferret bed.

Later, when Misty first was getting acquainted with Chauncey on that black chair, he started whistling 'Andy Griffith Theme' to Chauncey. I couldn't grab the camera fast enough to get it. But at least I got a couple of decent videos.

Yeah, I loved that little tail nibble. Later, Misty sat for a long time on the arm of that chair next to Chauncey. It was so cute. He's becoming the new 'babysitter'.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I said it before but I love your flock. If I ever come down your way your house will be one of my stops because I would love to personally meet you and your flock. My husband would have to take me and he would give me a hard time up until he got to meet your birds. He is a "closet" bird lover himself

That would have been a great video of Misty singing to Chauncey.

Remove Ads