where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: I got my baby today!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: I got my baby today!

She is so cute! I think she is going to be a lover bird too.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm trying to get a photo of her using her foot to pick things up. She was picking up the millet spray, then she held her foot up in a closed position and working it. I'm so excited to see her progress.

Her little nest mate at the dealer's store is just sitting in a brooder box with baby cockatiels. I wish that bird could have a chance to play with toys and practice walking, climbing and grasping like Gabby does.
    All seven of the flock are 3 years old already! Tubbie and Sweetie are looking forward to their 4th birthday. Pretty good for sparrows!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh no... not good that your thinking about her nest mate Pat. Especially since you had to go get Henry his friend Riley... I cant blame you for thinking about how much Gabby's nest mate would be enjoying all the things that little Gabby doing right now.

I LOVE it when birds hold things in there foot, lovies dont do that but Mango sure does and its so cute!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Oh no... not good that your thinking about her nest mate Pat. Especially since you had to go get Henry his friend Riley... I cant blame you for thinking about how much Gabby's nest mate would be enjoying all the things that little Gabby doing right now.

I LOVE it when birds hold things in there foot, lovies dont do that but Mango sure does and its so cute!
    LOL @ Deanna!! Yeah, all I have to do is barely mention the other IRN and my daughter goes ballistic saying 'you're not buying ANOTHER ONE, are you??!!' No, I'm not going to buy the other one... maybe. But now that you mention it....

I did it in the middle of writing this post...
    All seven of the flock are 3 years old already! Tubbie and Sweetie are looking forward to their 4th birthday. Pretty good for sparrows!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 1,003 Posts

Oh My Goodness!! Now that is a "perfect" mate for Gabby!! I can hardly wait to see how "fast" that little guy starts growing now that you have gotten ahold of him/her!! They are gorgeous!! And the pic of Gabby with the dollie is precious!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm gonna name the new baby 'Chauncey'. I once had a sparrow that I named Chauncey. Turned out to be a girl. But I think Chauncey is a good name for boy or girl, lol.

His little sprouting feathers on his head keep reminding me of the singer Sting when he starred in the movie Dune. Every time I look at this baby I think of Sting.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I knew you have to go down and buy Gabby her nest mate and if I were you I would have done the same thing. I cant wait to see both of them growing up and now Gabby can teach Chauncey all her new things she has learned at your house. I love this thread Pat and I cant wait to see Kahnee with two babies now...

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Did you like how I 'carefully' decided on doing it? That was really how it happened. I was replying to your post that no way was I gonna get the other bird, then it got to me. Then... I had to stop writing and run down to the store before it closed.

When I got Misty I had my eye on a lutino cockatiel but the dealer talked me into the whitefaced lutino. I've been aching for a lutino ever since. And when I first saw Chauncey when he and Gabby arrived at the store, I almost went for the lutino instead of Gabby. So, it's not really a totally spur-of-the-moment decision.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I'm with Deanna!! This is an "awesome thread"!! I'm so happy you started it! And "congrats" for bringing home Chauncey! You sure do come up with some unique and special names for your flock!! I could just bet in no time, Chauncey will take on that same "healthy and happy look" that Gabby has! And you will have him walking, eating, cuddling, climbing and both of them "dancing" before we know it!

Somehow, I think that little "lutino" you saw in the pet shop is "calling your name"!!! Pat. Pat. Pat. PLEASE come back here and take me home so I can get the same treatment at your house that Gabby and Chauncey, Riley, Henry, Misty, Kahnee, (did I miss any?????) (lol) are having!!

Can't wait to see more pics and hear more about Chauncey and Gabby!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-20-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Does this bring you to 8 birds now Pat?? Eight is Great!!! They look so cute together!! I'm amazed with the progress that Gabby has made. Hope her nest mate learns from her and catches on quickly.

I just love looking at your pics..

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
    His little sprouting feathers on his head keep reminding me of the singer Sting when he starred in the movie Dune. Every time I look at this baby I think of Sting.
    Sting would be a good comparison. I also thought of David Bowie when I saw those sprouting feathers..LOL!!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Hi all, No new pics just yet. But thought I'd give you an update. And, yes Carolyn, David Bowie came to my mind, too. It's so funny to see the little pin feathers when they look like a super-gel buzz cut.

Well, the first couple of days with Chauncey were terrible. He had been fed to stretch his crop. I don't do that. But when he came home, his poor little neck could not relax. I've been feeding him small amounts frequently so his crop will go back to normal.

He was so flippin' scared until today that he would just cry very softly. And he kept his head on the floor, never holding it upright. I had to lift his head to make him eat. After he eats, I hold him next to my chest and rock him gently until he falls asleep. This afternoon I saw him in his little tent standing upright preening himself. He caught a glimpse of me and immediately dropped his head to the floor. So sad.

But, after that, he's been fine!!!!

A really funny thing happened later today. I put Gabby in Chauncey's little brooder box to see what would happen. She immediately went into his birdie tent, sprawled herself out and fell asleep. A few hours later, Gabby was back in her own cage playing with her toys. I placed Chauncey in Gabby's cage and Gabby lunged at him, as if to say 'this is MY HOUSE!!'
    Geez! Looks like what's hers is hers and what's his is hers.

I swapped them around later and let Gabby sleep in Chauncey's brooder and let Chauncey go in Gabby's cage. Chauncey actually started playing with toys and eating millet.

Bottom line: They're both doing great!

Will take more pics very soon.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Took a quick pic of Chauncey. His eye is red, but I used the 'fix red eye' because his eye really glared..

Here's a quick one of Gabby. Got her up for a midnight feeding.

You can see their different personalities reflected in their postures. Chauncey is still timid and nervous. Gabby is quite confident and bold.
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 04-21-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! They are just adorable. Thank God you decided to bring Chancey to your home. He already looks so much better than in the first pic you posted. I'm sure after working with so many birds you easily can tell their personalities, long before they go to new homes. Gabby is looking sooooooooooo good, and is growing soooooo fast. She has the look of a "content" baby on her face. So is Chancey a "lutino" since he has the red eyes? Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us, Pat. You certainly have answered the "call" to be a parront, and a wonderful one too!! Have a blessed day!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-21-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Yes, Chauncey is a lutino. His color is a bright buttercup - so pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing him fully feathered.

One thing I noticed, and I'm gonna take measurements- Chauncey's head seems longer than Gabby's. The distance from eye to beak is noticeably longer. And the skin from nares to beak is also longer. I wonder if that might be a gender difference or just a different lineage? Anyone know?

Remove Ads