Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: bird advice

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

bird advice

hi there, I wanted to ask, u see when I was younger I had different types of furry pets that I had to rehome after a while due to sneezing, wheezing and trouble breathing sort of reaction. chinchillas gave me the runny nose and rats seemed to really have me wheezing and gerbils I had the same reaction but not as severe as from the rats. I then settled with fish keeping which I still have now and no reaction. oddly enough I'm fine around cats and dogs, it's strange that just rodents give me that sort of allergic sort of reaction. I also found that in pet shops if I go down the lizard area I can feel tightness of chest and need to leave that section soon. now with birds I can stand there for ages and feel ok, my friend has 5 budgies and if we watch a dvd he let's budgies out and I never have any trouble. could birds be an ok choice for me? I know some people get reaction from bird feathers but I seem ok as budgies have been on my shoulder. thanks for any advice.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: bird advice

I nearly forgot, I used to work in pet shop when younger and cleaning out cages of rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, hamsters and budgies etc.. it does seem with rodents that over time you can sort of develop a reaction and it gets worse with time until you leave the area or rehome pet. it seems that with budgies I'm fine. I was tempted to ask the doctor about this but they woUldale probably say no pets lol that's no good.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Birds have lots of dander, feather fluff, and it does bother some people but not many. If you hang around the bird section in a store that has birds in cages for awhile or better yet hold one I would think you would know if they bother you. Since you cleaned the cages out and didn't feel anything I would say your probably not allergic to them
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Agreed

But I'd probably tell you to avoid cockatoo's, Teil's, galahs etc. A lot of the Australian birds seem to produce a lot more dust and danger than other birds of similar sizes. Budgies seem to not be so bad as the others... but generally speaking, those tend to be more dusty and dandery than others

I wonder if it's the bedding used for smaller furries, than their actual fur?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Jen
    Thanks

I was thinking that too. The bedding.
    Happily owned by Zephyr, Zenith, and Zazu

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my gosh Galahs are horrible when it comes to dust and dander. Everytime Sam my sisters Galah flaps his wings the dust just goes flying off of him. He stayed with us for a week once and the floor all around his cage had a fine white powder all over it.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thanks, I just wanted to check to make sure, I was thinking of having 2 budgies, I like my friends budgies, they seem to respond if you whistle or where you play budgie sounds from app on your phone, I could spend ages with them lol I must be mad.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

Cockatiels have a reall dust problem. It is white in color, and will settle onto furniture, etc. Some folks get allergies from it. Budgies do not have this white dust problem.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thanks for that. I wonder are parrotts more bad news? what is like is their lifespan and how they become your pal over time. just got to try and not swear lol apparently they pick up swear words and say it all the time.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

I would say parrots require more time and patience than the smaller species. I think that the higher evolved.meaning the bigger the parrot, the more attention they demand. Yes, even cockatiels and smaller parrots can learn to mimic and speak sounds and words!

If I were starting out with birds for the first time, I would choose budgies! They are hardy and happy birds and are content to play with each other and love to eat, swing and play with their mirror girlfriends. You really cannot go wrong in any way by homing them.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Some budgies talk like crazy and actually use sentences. Look up Disco the parakeet and you will be shocked at how well he talked, sadly he died a year ago. Budgies are sweet little birds. Green Cheek conures are too, they are soft spoken and I know my daughters has no problems being in his cage playing with his toys but loves to come out and hang out with them as well.

My sister had a blue fronted Amazon and Mango does not seem to have much dust at all. He however is a big mess and loves to throw his food and things around his cage so it needs to be changed daily. He is a real charmer and can talk. He is a one person bird but tolerates others.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

My budgie is a real sweetie - talks up a storm.

But Sammy, our lovebird is much more of a snuggle bird although lovies aren't without their sisues

A MALE (you don't want to deal with eggs and hormones if you aren't interested in breeding in my opinion - plus males are more likely to learn to talk - but not guarantee!) budgie would be a great first addition to your bird life If you don't have issues with your friend's budgies, then you should be OK with them

In terms of set up, they're also less expensive in terms of cage, toys and food. Plus messes are more easily cleaned up.

That said - my budgie is usually noisier and messier than the lovie

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!