where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Shipping birds

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Shipping birds

My mother is willing to rehome her CAG here. Only problem is she's in Florida, I am in Kansas. Anyone have any experience in shipping birds out of state that could offer me some advice on where to start ? I know to fly he would need a health certificate. Beyond that, I am not sure and figure I would ask here before going to google search to try to find a reputable site for info. Kerry mentioned flight rules for birds changed recently, so not sure if the old threads are outdated in info or not.

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Re: Shipping birds

Are you going to go get him or is she going to send him to you by himself? I don't know much about shipping birds but I know that if you're going with him, you actually should be able to take him in the cabin with you, depending on the airline. The comments Kerry made about the change in birds-in-the-cabin rules confused me a little, as many airlines currently will allow birds in the cabin. Perhaps the rules changed and then changed back.

I've done some research seeing as I plan to travel with my bird, and I know the following airlines do allow birds in the cabin (for a fee, of course). This list is not necessarily exhaustive, these are just the ones I know about.

United Airlines
    Delta Airlines
    US Airways

This all depends on whether the bird can fit comfortably under the seat. I am not sure how big your mom's Grey is, if he's on the smaller side this may work. If he's large-ish, he may have to travel cargo

Hope this has been some help.

I love my doves, Calliope & Calypso <3

CALLIOPE ("kə-LIE-ə-pee"): from the Ancient Greek Καλλιόπη, meaning "beautiful voice".
    CALYPSO ("kə-LIP-so"): from the Ancient Greek Καλυψω, meaning "she that conceals".

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Greys are a little bit on the larger side, the carriers by airline rules must have a perch and be large enough for the bird to stand on it without touching the top with their head according to the sites I found, so he would not fit under a seat I don't think even if they do allow in cabin.

Here is a grey and a linnie (found the pic online, not mine!) to give some scope of their size
    http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/rh...t-portrait.jpg

I'm trying to decide what would be the best way to get him up here. I am going down there in July, but depending on what all is required to get a bird on a plane, not sure if I will have the money to bring him back at that point (shipping his cage is probably going to be expensive!), plus all the flights for me I have found have 2 hour layovers or are 200-300 more for one without a layover and I hate the idea of making him sit in a layover. But, then, he's cage bound at the moment so I know a carrier will be stressful for him to begin with and my mother is scared to handle him, so she can't get him used to it beforehand but I would be able to... he steps up for me, even though he tries to climb up my arm to sit on the very top of my head.

So I was thinking maybe ship him on a non-stop flight since it would be cheaper to get one with just him than with me and him, to lower his stress levels. Or maybe wait until boyfriend could get a couple of days off work and we could drive down to get him, longer trip but I would be able to be the one putting him in the carrier and make sure it is all prepped properly and talk to him throughout the trip, pull over and feed him, etc to try to keep him calm. Hrm.

I am just in the planning stage still at the moment, as you can see, so not sure exactly what I am going to do yet. I am worried since he's not been out of his cage for seven years he's going to freak out about travel and Greys are so sensitive, I want to try to keep the stress as low as possible. He's also not been handled in that time, except the occasional scritch through the cage bars and to have his wings clipped at the vet.

Think I am going to call Delta and see what they have to say.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

If you fly down there maybe you can rent a car and drive back up with him so he dont need to be on a plane. It would shorten your vacation down there but it least he wouldnt need to fly which could be as expensive as just renting a car. It also would give him time at your Moms house to bond with you and make the drive easier because he had already spent time with you at your Moms house. I am happy your getting him, you will make the perfect parront to him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.