Im new to this forum and would just like to hear some imput.
Our Cockatiel died almost 2 weeks ago.
We got him from a breeder who lied to us but after driving there for 2 hours we decided to take him anyway.
In emails he had told us that the bird was a baby. When we got there we were wondering why he was so big and he had excuses until his brother showed up and blurted out that our bird was a rescue ... no big deal but honesty is such a nice thing!
So we have no idea of knowing how old he was. We had him for 5 years. And the breeder had issues socializing him with other birds so he lived here "alone" with us.
He was always happy, NEVER EVER bit anyone! liked to hiss at strangers .. wow I miss him ...
anyway the day it happened everything seemed fine. He was happy, out, with us, ate, sang, ... NOTHING was different ..
Then at 10 pm he was just laying on the bottom of his cage. nothing to be done.
Our living room has some steps that go up to a "hallway" thats more like a room that doesnt have a door towards the living room (but doors, that are always closed, towards other rooms) and thats where his cage was. That way he always saw us and we saw him as we spend most of the time in the living room. We were just a few feet away from him on the couch when it happened so we would have noticed struggles. he must have even climbed to the bottom of the cage cause I would have heard him falling.
Can I assume it was a natural death?
My husband had the idea of adopting 2 new birds but I want to make sure that Im doing everything right. We are thinking about budgies, simply because I grew up with a pair I figured I would post here though as you understand more about cockatiels
- he spent all 5 years in the same cage (if he wasnt out, which he was a lot)
- We built it ourself from untreated wood and a mesh that wasnt coated. its 4 feet wide, and pretty high too ...
- he had twigs in his cage which I baked to make sure nothing was on them. he had the same twigs for the entire time. we just took some out and added them again later when rearranging.
- he had plastic bowls for food which I threw away, just to make sure. same with the waterbottle made from plastic. he never "chewed" on them though
- Is it enough if I bake the wood again and wash down the cage with bleach
We did move houses once but that was 2 years ago so I dont think that has any impact....
I would be grateful for any input!