Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

the death of our cockatiel :(

Hello,

Im new to this forum and would just like to hear some imput.

Our Cockatiel died almost 2 weeks ago.
    We got him from a breeder who lied to us but after driving there for 2 hours we decided to take him anyway.
    In emails he had told us that the bird was a baby. When we got there we were wondering why he was so big and he had excuses until his brother showed up and blurted out that our bird was a rescue ... no big deal but honesty is such a nice thing!
    So we have no idea of knowing how old he was. We had him for 5 years. And the breeder had issues socializing him with other birds so he lived here "alone" with us.
    He was always happy, NEVER EVER bit anyone! liked to hiss at strangers .. wow I miss him ...
    anyway the day it happened everything seemed fine. He was happy, out, with us, ate, sang, ... NOTHING was different ..
    Then at 10 pm he was just laying on the bottom of his cage. nothing to be done.

Our living room has some steps that go up to a "hallway" thats more like a room that doesnt have a door towards the living room (but doors, that are always closed, towards other rooms) and thats where his cage was. That way he always saw us and we saw him as we spend most of the time in the living room. We were just a few feet away from him on the couch when it happened so we would have noticed struggles. he must have even climbed to the bottom of the cage cause I would have heard him falling.

Can I assume it was a natural death?
    My husband had the idea of adopting 2 new birds but I want to make sure that Im doing everything right. We are thinking about budgies, simply because I grew up with a pair I figured I would post here though as you understand more about cockatiels

- he spent all 5 years in the same cage (if he wasnt out, which he was a lot)
    - We built it ourself from untreated wood and a mesh that wasnt coated. its 4 feet wide, and pretty high too ...
    - he had twigs in his cage which I baked to make sure nothing was on them. he had the same twigs for the entire time. we just took some out and added them again later when rearranging.
    - he had plastic bowls for food which I threw away, just to make sure. same with the waterbottle made from plastic. he never "chewed" on them though
    - Is it enough if I bake the wood again and wash down the cage with bleach

We did move houses once but that was 2 years ago so I dont think that has any impact....

I would be grateful for any input!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: the death of our cockatiel :(

I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was lucky to be rescued, even though the breeder was dishonest about it.

It is impossible to tell exactly what happened without a necropsy. Since his age is unknown, it very well could have been old age. However, before you bring more birds into the home just have a look around. Are you positive the mesh doesn't use zinc ? Are there metal cuttlebone holders, zippers, or anything else questionable in the area he could get to (even on your clothes, zippers are coated in zinc and my tiel loves to chew them if he can)? Any new plants you may have brought in, fake or real? Any fumes air fresheners, teflon cookware (if it heats to a certain point it releases fumes which are bad for birds, I believe it is 400F but would have to check that), chemical cleaners, heaters that may have bad coating? Even a new couch or anything like that (the chemical they use for stain and flame guards are again toxic in some cases)?

If you can't find anything environmental (sounds like he had a pretty good setup) - just scrub down the cage with bleach really well, rinse it off and let it air out very well before bringing home any new fids. For the perches, if he had something contagious, baking may not kill everything. Most likely you'll be fine with a GSE / water soak and then a baking, but there are certain viruses that are hard to kill and the only thing I know that works on those is bleach. If you have any friends with safe wood trees in their yards, you could always ask them for a few branches and make new ones.

First Clutch Hatching... maxollie's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm so sorry that you lost your tiel!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thank you for your answers guys!

And we wont get new birds right now I just try to collect info so I can get their home ready!

well to your list ... the only thing that was different ... about a week before he died I cleaded our oven. With some "heavy duty cleaner" cause the thing needed it. But the Bird wasnt in the room for that. Could that have been it and slowly poisoned him?

when we bought the mesh we looked forever to find a save one, without zink. We had read for a while about what we need to buy to build him a good cage.
    he loved zippers too but I honestly cant remember the last time he was nibbling on one. that must have been months and months ago.
    we have no plants at all, no real ones, no fake ones. We have a cat that eats everything so we dont risk it.
    We have air vents that heat the house but I did buy a heater a few days before he died. Like a stand-alone heater that I used only one time.... hm ...
    We have a steamcleaner that we use to clean the floors etc. so there is no cleaners.

so I assume it was age, the heater or the ovencleaner?
    wow I really hope I didnt do that to him. I had every window in the kitchen open too so the pets wouldnt be affected from the oven cleaner ... and well the heater ... I would have NEVER guessed that

I will wash the Cage out today. Sadly we moved since we got the original branches and now live in a desert so trees ... there arent many at all ... nor bigger pet stores (we got wal mart, or a tiny pet store, and I checked them before, they all have those plastic branches that come in only one size). But maybe I can find something fitting online. I really liked the "all natural" idea though ...

thank you again!

Minnie

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Chemical cleaner is dangerous, especially in an oven since it will heat it up next time it is turned on. But given the amount of time between and the ventilation, probably wasn't the cause. Check the heater you got for PTFE in the coating, you can call the manufacturer to ask them. PTFE is toxic to parrots, once it reaches a certain temperature it releases scentless fumes into the air and breathing it in has been linked to many avian deaths. It has also been linked to things such as cancer and other health issues in humans. If it is PTFE coated, I would buy a safer one, such as ceramic before bringing another bird into the house. From reports I have read of PTFE related deaths though, it usually acts pretty fast (as in a few hours, rather than a few days).

Zippers from MOST clothing manufacturers are coated in zinc, which can lead to heavy metal poisoning, which is a slow blood poisoning. It can be hard to detect at times, but typically birds present with some symptoms - increased water intake, lack of appetite, vomiting, change in droppings, etc. Since he didn't present symptoms, can probably say that most likely wasn't the case. But you want to keep zippers out of birds beaks, I know it is tough, I have to remove anything with a zipper on it except my pants which the zippers get covered when I let my tiel out on me.

Sounds like it wasn't anything you did.

You can order natural wood perches online from a lot of stores, for tiel/budgie sized ones they usually run $5-$10 each which isn't that bad. I use mostly natural wood, though it is a good idea to get a few different textures so that the birds can choose what they want and naturally grind down their nails if they want to. Just avoid sandpaper/grit perches. A lot of stores, such as dr fosters and smith, give free shipping for orders of $49+ if you are in the U.S. You can even order branches online from farms and such in some cases.
    Last edited by Marrie; 04-09-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

So sorry to hear about losing your tiel. Marie has given you excellent advice and I agree with her and from what I read, it sounds as though it was nothing that you did. If you are looking for another tiel or another kind of fid, perhaps you can call a vet and they can recommend an honest breeder.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thank you again guys!

well the heater actually broke after the first use so I wont be using it anymore. I will look into it though!

We cleaned the cage with Bleach today and threw away everything in it. Afterwards I took my daughters to the local pet store and bought a new feeder and water...um...container? .. and toys. Oh and they had some wood perches so we got some too! I will check out the homepage and will get some natural ones too, thank you!!!
    At this store they had 5 budgies and some Finches. We seriously live in the middle of nowhere! so not much to choose from
    they had one male budgie and 4 females ... I will call the Vet tomorrow and see if they know a Breeder around. The breeder we got the cockatiel from is hours and hours away.

But .. well I should probably post this in the Budgie section but will it be an issue to have a male and female Budgie if we decide to get them, we dont want to breed!... they were fairly young and the owner said it will be months before they will get more.

Wow I feel like such a birdretard
    But as a kid I only had male birds together and the self chosen single cockatiel was male too so I have no clue about these girls

the store was already holding 2 beauties for someone so that wouldnt be an issue until we have all the branches and such

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Most likely if you get a male and female at some point in sharing a cage they will breed. You can replace the eggs or boil them and put them back to keep them from hatching if that is something you would be OK with. But with a female you have risks of egg binding etc when they lay so they need to be on good diets. There are tricks you can use, temp control and humidity control, increased daylight hours etc. But two males is really easier.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thank you Marrie! and sorry I didnt reply right away.
    well... I would totally go for 2 males then ... that sounds difficult and more important: dangerous for the female!

but then ... men just cant listen, can they?
    I told my husband to not tell his parents about our plans of getting some budgies someday ... but he talked .. so my mother in law showed up with 2 budgies yesterday ...
    I know its a male and ... a lutino ... and since they are a bit more complicated I dont know what it is ... according to the store its another male but I dont know .. Ill post some pics in a bit in the budgie part. I havent been able to take a good picture of his/her face.
    They seem happy though and started eating yesterday IN FRONT OF US! we were all in the kitchen making dinner/getting plates and they ate ... I thought that was awesome! the "for sure male" also tries to get my attention and only talks/sings when im close to the cage and talking to someone ... its cute

while im very mad at her for making such a decision without us ... they actually rock a lot

I also ordered the perches 2 days ago and hope they will get here soon (we have one that goes from one end to the other right now)

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Well, if they do end up being male/femae, you can look at the lovie / budgie sections and there are a lot of threads on tips to help prevent egg laying. When you get a picture of their ceres the people in the budgie section can probably sex them for you - I am horrible at telling from the cere colors, so I leave that up to people with more budgie experience.

Sorry they surprised you, but hope it works out OK and glad they are awesome birds.