Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Bree
    Thanks

Question New baby, need help. :/

Hello! It's been three days since I adopted my newest fid. She's a Fallow Green Cheek Conure and I was told that she is 7 months old. She's been eating and drinking just fine but I know what I feed my birds is not what the store I bought her from was feeding her and I am hoping that that is why her stools have been watery. I know that's not a good sign so I made an appointment with the vet just in case. She has been sleeping sporadically, sometimes at the bottom of the cage, but also chirping and examining the other birds as well as begging to be petted. Has anyone else had this experience? Is this normal behavior for a new GCC? I'd hate to lOse her as I have already fallen totally in love with her.
    "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: New baby, need help. :/

Get her a well bird check up just in case. But, watery droppings ARE normal for the first few days. A change in diet would add to it, also stress can cause them to be more watery than normal. Does it still have the tubular shape? Is the urate still looking good? She is most likely fine, but it's always a good idea to get a well bird checkup done anyway, especially since you have other birds just in case she picked anything up at her breeder.

Name
    Bree
    Thanks

Well she seems ok. Her droppings are the right color and shape. They've actually hardened up a little throughout the day. The thing that is actually worrying me is that she is sleeping on the cage floor. :/
    "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Is she sleeping there all the time, not climbing around etc? Or just napping down there? Some birds like to play or nap on the bottom, doesn't always mean they are sick. Is she staying fluffed up like she is trying to retain body heat? Is the cage bottom kind of dark/closed off, like with a seed guard or anything like that? If so, it might be that she likes having something more "solid" and you could try putting a sheet over one corner of the cage and see if that makes her more comfortable with sleeping up higher, so she only has to watch out for one side.

Hopefully it is just a preference and not a symptom. The vet check up will give you an idea of whats going on with her.

Name
    Bree
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: New baby, need help. :/

Her cage is against a wall next to the other birds cages. It has seed guards and I have noticed her messing with them. When I come up to the cage she hops around excitedly. She's always happy to come out. I also noticed that she falls asleep in the crook of my elbow, folds of clothing and blankets, against my neck under my hair, ect. I'm wondering now if she is younger then they told us when we bought her. It almost seems like she wants a nest? She has climbed around her cage and chewed on her calcium rock as well as getting rough with her new toys do I'm really hoping its just that whenever she needs a nap that she feels more comfortable there. I'm on my way to the store for birdy supplies so what do you think would be comfortable and warm for her to replace the little corner she's picked?

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

GCCs, from what I have been able to gather from my experience with them (I do not own one myself) really like to be in hands / shirts / happy huts and things like that. No matter their age. If she were male I would suggest a hut of some sort, but with females as they mature that can lead to egg laying if they get nesty and it's a nice dark spot to sleep in. Hmm. I don't have a female myself, so not sure if you could work something like that out and take it away when she is nesty if that would work to keep the egg laying issues down. Maybe one of the other members who have experience with female birds could offer some advice on that.

It sounds like she just likes the wall to me, when birds are new to their houses it is common for them to like areas that are closed off since they feel like they have to keep an eye on all four sides if they are exposed. It may or may not change though if she just likes the closed off area for sleeping.

Name
    Bree
    Thanks

Well I decided to take her to the vet for a check up and she is sick. he gave her a shot and some medicine and told me to isolate her from the other birds. I'm hoping she gets better. I really like her and she fits in with our little goof ball family. We'll see in a few days I guess.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Did they say what she has? Hope it isn't anything too serious and the medicine can fix her up.