Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Healani
    Thanks

Please forgive me for asking a dumb question but...........

I had NO idea that cockatiels lay eggs w/out having a partner!!!! I was so upset and scared that something was wrong w/my Kona. She was acting completely different. She always likes to hang out w/me on my bed, which we do every evening. She kept getting off the bed and acting kind of crazy like she was looking for something. I put her back about 4 times and she kept doing this. So I had set her on the pillow which is propped up and all of a sudden this white thing falls down onto my bed. So I was HUH????? i was thinking that I didn't have any candy in here!!! So I picked it up and realized it was an egg!!!! So I hurried and put her in her cage so she can have privacy or so she can be in a quite place, She is just standing in the corner of her cage sometimes sitting. So I don't know if she is going to have more or not BUT I am still worried about her! Is this normal for her to act like this? What do I do now Re; her egg? I put it in the cage in a little basket kind of nest I have had in there for her. I figured she would be cozier in it when she sleeps but she never did sleep in it. I am so worried I can't even explain how worried I am. Can someone plz give me some advice as to what to do and help me get my mind at ease!!! Thank you so much. And again I am sorry about this silliness but I am worried very much

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Please forgive me for asking a dumb question but...........

Egg laying can lead to complications. But with an attentive parront she should be fine. Keep an eye on her for the next week or so. She will lay more until she completes the clutch. If you notice straining that goes on like she is trying to push but nothing comes out call a vet, common problem is egg binding especially if they are not on a fresh heavy diet and it can be fatal if not treated. Also keep a watch for shellless eggs and other issues. If she lays any eggs that are soft shelled or lacking a shell, call a vet, that is a sign she may be calcium depleted. If she will eat it, try to give her kale,broccoli and other calcium rich fresh foods.

Most birds come through egg laying ok. You need to leave the eggs until she gets bored or she will clutch again to replace her old ones.

Name
    Healani
    Thanks

Thank You Marrie. I appreciate your help. I have her cage covered up right now. I figured she will want privacy, Should I open it up so she doesn't keep laying eggs? I can hear her in there moving about. She is now on her swing that she always did like to sit on. Also should I just let her stay in there? I usually take her out a couple times during the day.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Keep her schedule however it is normal for covered or uncovered. Once she stops laying and grows bored of the eggs increasing her night time hours with a cover can help keep her from laying again. For letting her out leave the door open and let her decide. She will probably start to stay in a lot more as she begins sitting. Also when she no longer has eggs you want to remove any houses / beds / nests in there so she wont become nesty again.