Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    michael
    Thanks

Question Introducing two cockatiels together? Also, possible offspring?

Okay so here I go with my situation...I've had my Babygirl for about 2 years now and she is really sweet and since I've gotten her, she's laid eggs once before and now...she has laid 7 eggs this time. I've wanted to breed her for awhile and find her a partner but I was unable to locate someone with a male for awhile! Anyways I just got my new boy Romeo who likes whistling and chattering! I just got him yesterday and have set him up in a smaller cage next to my Babygirl...okay first question, how long shoud I keep them next to each other in seperate cages before I move them to a new cage (a huge cage which i bought months ago thats been gathering dust! LOL)? Also should I wait till she is done with these unfertile eggs? I dont plan on breeding them right away, I just wanna know when I can put the two together I'm thinking of going to the vet to get checkups for them and make sure he is a male.

Name
    michael
    Thanks

Re: Introducing two cockatiels together? Also, possible offspring?

I think they are falling in love lol both of them are constantly climbing on the side of the cages next to each other to "Talk" oh and I forgot, my other question was does anyone know of possible babies they might have in the future? the male is lutino (mainly whitish body with bright yellow/orange cheek) and the female is a pearl....sadly i dont know much about their parents/genetics so thats all the info I can give..thanks

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is good that you have them in separate cages for now. Usually, most folks who buy a new bird will quarantine the new one for 30 days, and not allow it to be with any other birds, just in case the new one may have a disease.

Once that time is passed, and if you do decide to take them to the Vet for checkups, you could put them in the same big cage together. As far as knowing the sex of the new bird, your vet could do DNA testing to find out. Also, there are kits on-line that you could buy to do your own. Cockatiels are very difficult to sex. So, in my opinion, you won't know for sure if the new one is a male until they mate.

Breeding birds is no easy task. So I am of the opinion it would be a good idea for you to go on-line, and also visit our forum here, and read all about bird breeding. There are so many things you definitely need to know about breeding them, because so many things can go wrong in the process, that could compromise the health and life of your birds as well as of the babies chicks if they do hatch.

Male birds are very verbal, and make lots of whistling sounds, wolf whistles, and learn to speak words. Female birds are more docile and quiet, and usually only make a few chiprs and sounds. They usually don't learn to speak words. But they are very sweet, cuddly and love to nest and lay eggs. Males are much more active, and make lots of noise most of the time.

Since you are interested in what the babies they may have might look like, you can research on the web and find lots of info about "mutations". Just google "cockatiel mutations", and you should come up with some sites that will provide this information. Another great website for you to visit that is all about cockatiels (including breeding) is "Cockatiel Cottage". That is a super website.

I hope to see pics of Babygirl and Romeo (love the names) sometime. Keep us posted on your journey with them.

Name
    michael
    Thanks

I will get pics as soon as I can up for you guys! and I have done alot of reading and I'm still buying dif magazines and books and looking at dif websites still! lol I have been to "cockatiel cottage" and have printed alot of info out to have it handy in my cockatiel notebook...Also, in my list of future purchases for the birdies this month or next is an incubator and a brooder to be extra safe.(I am planning on letting the parents raise them for the first time at least but if something wouldnt work out, I wanna have the equipment available to try to raise the babies myself)
    It seems like I was waiting forever to find a male cockatiel, it's been about 4 months since I started looking for one but all the pet stores and breeders in the area didnt seem to have any but finally I got Romeo Also my boss lives with a vet tech so she is going to take care of the DNA test for me! yay. until then, I'm trying to give Babygirl and Romeo alot of love and they really are into each other it seems already lol

Name
    michael
    Thanks

okay so Babygirl hadn't laid an egg in about 2 weeks but now today I came home to another egg :/ can i still move her and romeo together soon? or should I wait till she tires of the eggs?