Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

our new Easterbudgies - male or female?

Hello,

Im pretty new here. Our Cockatiel passed away a little bit ago and I came here to read more about budgies.
    I had 2 when I was a kid.
    Yesterday my mother in law surprised my daughters with 2 budgies as a belated Eastergift ... They were not okay with me making the kids wait ... ugh ...
    So Im super mad right now BUT love those budgies

I know for sure that the blue one is male. He is super awesome too and tries to get my attention.
    they both ate in front of me YESTERDAY already but the blue one really doesnt show any fear and sings for me and stuff. Super nice.

But the yellow one/lutino I dont know ... boy? or girl?

both are fairly small, the yellow one is a bit bigger. both have red rings though so I assume they were born sometime this year ... the store told my MIL "they are both fairly young" ..

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: our new Easterbudgies - male or female?

I know nothing about budgies but I wanted to post just to tell you that the yellow one is adorable and what a perfect color for a Easter bird. I love it!

I also cant blame you for being mad at the MIL but she was thinking it would heal your kids hearts so she tried real hard to please them and you. Sorry to hear about your tiel, its tough to lose a loved bird and I can understand why you wanted to wait.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Those budgies are beautiful.. And the appropriate colors for Easter. The only way to tell gender is with a DNA test (blood test). I think before you know it, your going to have two new best friends. I think your MIL's heart was in the right place, however, she should have asked you first. So sorry to hear about your cockatiel passing away. It's very difficult to lose a beloved pet.

Do you have any names picked out yet for these two beauties?

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I love the yellow budgies so cute! I don't know much about budgies... hopefully Kerry or one of our other budgie experts pops in soon. From the pictures I looked up online the yellow one looks like the males they showed on the "how to sex your budgies" pages, but I wouldn't take my word for it.

BudgieBonkers Brand New Egg Juliafan23's Avatar
    Name
    Rae
    Thanks

The yellow one is a female if it has red eyes its a lutino if has black eyes could be dec,recessive pied or double factor spangled.
    http://budgiebonkers.webs.com/

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

The blue on the cere of the yellow bird is not as blue as the cere on the blue and white budgie. Blue is a male color for cere and sex. I think yellow one is a male, but others here think female. Yes, dna test will answer the problem correctly.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thank you for your replies guys!

boomer girl, haha thats true, I didnt even think of it that way yet! The yellow is adorable! but Im kinda falling for the blue guy, he rocks not that he other one wont get attention etc she just doesnt seem to be into humans at all right now.
    I told my youngest yesterday that I might have to steal away the blue one from her (MIL assigned them each a bird ) and she was all happy "YES! and then ILL pick another one out for me!"... yeah ... no ... haha

and yes I know she meant well and I know where she is coming from. Many years ago they lost they cockatiel too who they loved. He flew against a wall and didnt make it. about a month later my husband got them a new bird and they bonded a lot!
    So she went and got these birds and drove over 3 hours to bring them to us ... its really nice, but more time would have been great! and putting the birds through that long car ride wasnt necessary either ... but oh well...

Pipers Mom, thank you! I dont think Im going to put them through a DNA test ... at least not now ...
    The girls call them Daisy and Donald for now. I dont think that will stick though as they try to find new names all the time.

Marrie, yeah I looked up some pages too but I actually found that cere color equally being a girl and boy color ... so no clue!

Juliafan23. She does have red eyes. ...

so we have 2 votes male (Marrie and Birdmanca) and one vote female (Juliafan23) ... wow haha I guess I do need the DNA someday just to see who wins

I LOVE having 2 of them though! I set up the cage with 2 waterbowls and a hanging foodbowl and a big bowl of seeds on a box so I wont have to disturb them for a bit. they also had some millet which they accidentally threw down real fast.
    yesterday the yellow one discovered the big bowl of seeds and started talking to the blue one and he talked back and checked it out right away. Minutes later he discovered the millet, which he never had apparently and tried it super carefully and then told "her" about it. Its just so adorable!!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Ha, don't take my vote, I know little about budgies. Julia is probably right.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Even though those two precious little budgies were an unexpected Easter present to your daughters, they truly are beautiful. I believe both of them are male. You can tell by the cere, the spot right above their beak whether they are male or female. Your blue budgie definitely is a male because the cere is "dark blue". I would say that the little yellow budgie also is a male, even though the cere is a "lighter blue" color. If one was a female, the cere is light tan color or an ivory or light color (not blue). To be a lutino budgie, the eyes would be red. I have one just like your yellow budgie. His eyes are black, so he is pied/recessed. His name is Muffin. Both of them look very healthy and well fed. In my opinion two male budgies are ideal for your family because you won't have to deal with a female laying eggs, and generally male budgies get along very well together in one cage. I've had budgies in my home for most of my lifetime, (I'm a grandma). Budgies are very hardy and sweet birds. Your daughters are going to love interacting with them, teaching them to step up, and to talk. As to their age, I would say the blue one is a bit older than the yellow, because the little collar, with the black dots around the little blue budgie's neck indicates his age. You will notice the yellow one doesn't have his "collar" as yet. And on occasion, they don't get an entire collar. I've had that happen before. Especially the lighter colored ones like a white one or the yellow sometimes don't have a collar, or only part of a collar. I do think that both are quite young and most likely are under a year old. I hope to hear all about "Donald and Daisy" (at least that is their names for now) on a regular basis, and further, we LOVE pics here, so post new ones anytime!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

one beautiful lutino hen!!!
    she has the white rings inside the nostrils!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    lisa
    Thanks

the yellow is definitely female.100%