Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Aaarrrggghhh! *rant about moving with a bird*

Why do people assume birds are so delicate? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and they really are?

I just fielded a call from my elderly aunt who has had birds, usually tiels for many years. She called me to ask if I would take in her tiel because she was moving back east to live with her son and his family. She was all set to give up this tiel that she's had for years to the Humane Society. I asked her why she didnt just take the birdy with her and she said she wasnt sure if the bird could take it on a plane.

I travel 400 miles each way up and down CA with my lovebird about 7x a year to visit family and Ham loves seeing new things. I brought that up with my aunt and she said well a car is different. I mean, how so? The bird is still in a tight space with lots of noise (assuming you are traveling with in the cabin).

At the end I hope I convinced her to just take her tiel with her when she flies back. It really never entered her mind as a possibility.

Its not just her, I see lots of pets given up because people wont travel with them. I can understand if there is a quarantine or an international ban but why are people so willing to just abandon their pets?
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Aaarrrggghhh! *rant about moving with a bird*

I think it is sad when people dont consider taking there pets with them when they move away too. Its is just heartless to love a bird or any pet and then just give it away for no other reason then we are moving. I do hope she decides to take her tiel with her when she goes and if she doesnt hopefully she will it least give it to a rescue and not just the Humane Society. Dont get mad at me for saying this but if she is going to do that maybe you can take it from her and find a rescue to give it to just so the poor bird can find a good home. Mickaboo might take it or I am sure there are other rescues down in your area. Poor bird, to live with someone that long and then to be dumped at the pound is just sad.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Birds are no longer allowed to ride in cabin any longer. They must go Air Cargo. This all came about with the avian flu. Then some yo yo budgie exhibitor from FL tried to sneek a budgie on an AA flight in a card board box. He/she got caught. They were going to let them get away with it BUT the person behind this yo yo was hight up in air port security. They took it to the top with AA. They told AA they could retrain ALL employees to the rules and regulations of their airlines OR they could put a restricton so birds must fly air cargo. Guess which way AA went???? Shortly after this all airlines (in the U.S.) when this route.

I've shown budgies all over the U.S. and I've shipped hook bills all over the U.S. It's no big deal about shipping birds. All said and done I prefer using Continental to ship my birds. Traveling as a show club I've always gone AA. The birds are put in a pressure controlled compartment. Provide spary millit and apple or orange slices. YOU CAN NOT PUT WATER CUPS IN THE CONTAINERS. When shipping I use the small "flat" Cabin Kennal carriers with wire tops used for very small dogs and small cats. The wire tops have a sliding door that makes loading/unloading birds easy and the birds can not get away from you.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I would never leave my bird if I were moving, unless it was to another country which would require a quarantine out of my home (some let you quarantine in home to avoid stress on the animal). Breeders and owners and people who show birds ship them via planes all the time and they make it just fine. Even rescues will ship birds via plane.

If she is THAT concerned with taking her bird on a plane, there are also animal moving companies that ship them in a carrier in a car. But, I would be more concerned with that than a plane due to the fact it is a longer trip so more stress.

But that attitude isn't just for birds. People do it with rabbits, reptiles, etc... any exotic that is more sensitive than a dog or cat they assume are too sensitive to make it on a plane. So they dump them at the humane society, which is more stressful/dangerous for them than a plane! I know many people who have rehomed their bunnies just because they were moving to another state and had heard rabbits are too stressed in a car to make a long trip. Which is totally bogus. I have NO IDEA where the idea exotics are so fragile came from, yes they require special care, but they aren't glass that will break at the first turbulence.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

My Indian Ringneck made it through....countless drives from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back (360 miles). He loved car rides once we had him trained to ride outside of his carrier. He did fine in the crate as well. He even managed perfectly fine for a move from Anchorage, Alaska to Glendale, Arizona. That was a four day drive with in a loaded car with a dog.

I'm getting ready to take Zeus on a drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage and back. I have decided that it is less stressful for him to come with us for the long weekend then to be left alone most of the time at the cabin only being checked on for a few minutes twice a day when my mom comes to feed and water the dog.

The idea that birds are THAT fragile is new to me.

I would never give an animal up to a pound OR shelter OR rescue in this great state. Not enough trained people or money to go around to make sure rescues can even provide proper care. Rescues here at times had to feed all seed to larger birds due to it being the only way they could afford to feed them for that short time. Now the one in fairbanks is working with the foodbank and gets some fruit and veggies free of charge.

Name
    Elizabeth
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry C View Post
    Birds are no longer allowed to ride in cabin any longer. They must go Air Cargo. This all came about with the avian flu. Then some yo yo budgie exhibitor from FL tried to sneek a budgie on an AA flight in a card board box. He/she got caught. They were going to let them get away with it BUT the person behind this yo yo was hight up in air port security. They took it to the top with AA. They told AA they could retrain ALL employees to the rules and regulations of their airlines OR they could put a restricton so birds must fly air cargo. Guess which way AA went???? Shortly after this all airlines (in the U.S.) when this route.
    Kerry - this is simply not true - birds are allowed in cabin by many airlines. Perhaps they changed the rules and then changed them back. I have been speaking with many airlines recently regarding my upcoming trip to Canada with my bird and none of them have told me I could not bring her in the cabin. Certain airlines don't allow them in cabin (such as Southwest and Air Canada), but many airlines do in fact allow one bird per person in the cabin.

As for the stress of travel - I personally believe it would be just as, if not more, stressful for a bird to have to be separated from his or her owner and go to a new person. I got Calliope used to going new places from a relatively young age, so traveling will likely be somewhat stressful, but not as stressful as it might have been had I not gotten her used to new people and situations by taking her out places with me on a regular basis.

I love my doves, Calliope & Calypso <3

CALLIOPE ("kə-LIE-ə-pee"): from the Ancient Greek Καλλιόπη, meaning "beautiful voice".
    CALYPSO ("kə-LIP-so"): from the Ancient Greek Καλυψω, meaning "she that conceals".

Thanks

I'm happy! I found out last night that my aunt is taking her tiel to their new home today. Its costing about $125 or so plus a carrier and a new cage at the new place, and a vet check up but I think this will be good for both bird and my aunt.

So my pleading worked.
    We got lots of Ham here

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Glad you were able to talk her into it.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Good going Cheaps This is great news and I am so happy you defended the tiel and talked her into taking it with her.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.