Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Our yellow naped amazon won't take a bath - ever

Lucy is about 14 years old and has been to a few other homes before us. We've had her since December of 2010. We don't know much about her past, so there's no point speculating, I suppose. But she's always been kind of snappy and volatile since we've had her. Not a "shoulder pet". I can take her out for walks and she's fine. but in the house, if she gets scared by anything, I get nailed. If I sit down with her on my shoulder, she scoots down and bites my arm, pretty badly. We don't know how to train her out of this, so we just don't do it.

But long story short, she hates bathing and won't do it at all. If I try to pick her up by the sides, she bites. The only way to get her anywhere is if she will step up, and she won't do it to go in the shower and bathe. Our umbrella cockatoo Oz loves to bathe every 4 days regularly, and we have a 3rd bedroom with the shower rod down the middle of the tub, right next to the bird room. Lucy will watch Oz bathe but will never let me take her in there. On the few occasions when I have gotten her in, and on the perch, she flies off and won't go back on it.

I mist her some with a water bottle from time to time, but she smells and itches some, and she just won't bathe.

I've tried putting big pans of water out for her, etc., she just won't do it.

Any ideas on this?
    Melissa
    Proud "mom" of Georgie the Lovebird at
    http://lakewoodcolorado.net/George/George.htm

"I am only an egg."

Colorado Process Servers - Lakewood, Denver, Wheat Ridge, Littleton
    http://www.ColoradoProcessServers.net

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Our yellow naped amazon won't take a bath - ever

We take care of sisters orange wing Amazon, Mango and he loves to take showers with my daughter but once he dries he still stinks like a dirty bird so maybe Amazons are just stinky birds in general. Mango will only take a bath in his cage if the vacuum is running and he will only take the baths in his water cups so he is somewhat picky about bathing too. Have you ever tried to pin up some wet lettuce leafs or something else that would hold a little water so he could rub against it? Little birds like this so maybe a big bird would.

How sad Lucy has been passed from person to person, no wonder she bites people because she must not trust them because they keep passing her to another person. Someone must of really mistreated her to make her climb down from your shoulder and bite your arm. I have to ask does she act like she really likes you, pinning her eyes at you and watching you? Mango is madly in love with me and the way he shows it is by biting me whenever I pick him up and try to put him back down. I cannot hold him because Amazons do bite hard enough to make you bleed and he scares me.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Well she must like me some. She comes over for scritchies and lets me scritchy her head. She just won't let me pick her up by the body. I thought pinning of the eyes and spreading of the tail feathers in yellow naped amazons was a sign of hostility.

But like I said, I take her for 2 mile walks on my shoulder with no problems, and outside for a little sun on my shoulder, almost every day, but if I'm in the house...like one time she was on my shoulder and I ran a cup under the ice maker and she scooted down and bit my arm. One time a guest was in the house and I came in with Lucy from outside, and she saw the woman and nailed me on the ear, enough to bleed and require 2 weeks to heal.

We have taken to each other somewhat. She listens to me as far as going back in the cage at night, most times. But she doesn't clown around or get affectionate like Oz, our umbrella cockatoo. He's a cuddle bug. She's not that way. Her most entertaining thing is her talking, singing and sound effects.
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I know when Mango gets excited he his eyes pin like crazy, he gets fluffed up and sometimes he even does this strange neck stretch and shake. My sister tells me he never does that with her but he isnt so spoiled when he is at home as he is here. It does sound like Lucy does like you because she has no problems with you taking her on walks or hanging around outside. Mango is a sweetheart usually when he is on me but the minute he thinks I am putting him back in his cage he bites me. If someone comes near me when he is on me he bites me. He is nice to everyone else except when I am in the room and then he turns into a big biter bird, even to my sister who he never bites. He isnt a yellow naped, he is a orange wing I think and he has a big attitude. I only met one Too and that bird sounds like Oz because he was a clown, liked his fat head rubbed and acted like a crazy 2 year old going crazy with excitement. I dont know what to say about the bites because if I did I could then make Mango not bite me. I considered adopting him from my sister when boomer died but since he bites me so hard I could never do it which makes me sad because he loves it at my house. She lives with cats so he gets no out of the cage time and here he is a free bird living in a house of bird lovers.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

That's a shame. We even went to a bird training weekend seminar but didn't figure out how to really train birds from that. We're frustrated.
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

If you can mist her, that is bathing for a bird - you could try one of the aloe bird bath sprays to help her from being itchy. Some birds find the shower rather scary and prefer to just be misted by their owner. Some owners have also had success in letting their birds bathe while it is raining outside, putting them by a window and the rain stimulates their want to bathe. If she got into something that is causing a smell (like my tiel one time went belly flop right in a plate of alfredo sauce... stinky bird) you can bathe her by holding her gently with a towel (to protect your hands and also so she doesn't think hands are evil and traumatizing) and using a bird safe (most ARE NOT SAFE for them, so research what show birds are bathed with first) soap / shampoo and rinsing her off really well afterwards. But her normal smell should be washed away by the mist bath, if Mango smells a bit though it may just be an Amazon thing.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

No she doesn't get into things, but she hates towels more than anything. I guess misting her will have to do. But in the jungles of central America, they get rained on almost daily.
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

You could mist her daily. Does she let you mist her to the point she's soaked, or just get the water on her feathers a bit? A birdie mist bath if you spray them long enough soaks them through to the skin like a good rain would. That is my vets preferred method of bathing if they won't get in a dish.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

She used to hate that too, but I've been doing it once in awhile and she's gotten better about it. It's just that when I bathe Oz, he gets a nice warm shower and he loves it. The mist bottle is room temp water which feels cold.

Oh well... Thanks.
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

You can get thicker plastic spray bottles from dollar general etc and put warm water into them and they won't melt, I fill the bottle before a shower and spray my tiel with warm water instead of room temp.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

We use distilled water, so no chlorine, in the spray bottle now. But I suppose warm tap water...
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Mango does stink, even after a long soaking shower he still is a stinky bird so with him it is natural to not smell so nice. Lovies smell good, we loved to stick our nose into boomers chest and smell him especially after he took a bath.

Maybe in time Lucy will learn not to bite you. I hope so because it does sound like she is happy with you. When Mango bites my sister or her husband they will grab his beak and tell him no and he seems to know just what they are saying to him because he wont clamp down on them anymore even if he is really mad. Her husband is the one that pried his beak off my thumb once because my sister wasnt even going to try to get near him because she was even afraid of him. Truly he is a good bird but just like Lucy something clicks inside of him and he clamps down.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

You could microwave the water for a few seconds or let the filled spray bottle sit in hot water to warm it if you want to use distilled

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Ok, well, thanks everybody. Interesting thread. Just wish I could find some training info that could work decisively for stopping biting.
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Try taking him in the shower with u. If u have a little stand where u put shampo or soap,put him there. Don't force him in the shower; just let him watch u bathe and soon he will get the jist and wanna try 2. My budgie loves taking showers! :3

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Would love to, but I work late at night, after the birds are asleep at 10 PM, and I shower at midnight usually.
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

My old IRN loved to get into the weirdest messes so I had to always bath him, he didn't like baths at first as well. I started taking him in bathroom with me when I did my makeup and sadly sometimes when I had to use the restroom because I couldn't trust him not to get into something. >.> anyway I kinda worked from there. Once he was used to the bathroom I would leave him on the towel rod or sink while I showered. Then after he was okay with that, he sat on the shower rod. Soon he had his own perch. After a year he would hang from the shower head and hog all the water!!

It just takes time. Lots of time.

As for the biting, this is what I am doing with Zeus. You have to be able to take a bite- Zeus is a bare eyed cockatoo so yeah, it hurts. keep something yummy with you, in your pocket or somewhere he can't get to it but is easy for you to get to. in situations where he is likely to bite, but doesn't, give him a treat and extra praise. It may not be often at first. If you are brave, for a few minutes off and on put him in the situations where he is likely to bite and reward when he doesn't.

Training at least what I do so far, boils down to rewarding when they do something you want. You have to be quick, you have to be consistent. I have had Zeus for months, he has a bad history and I am just now making real progress with him so it can take a long time, years.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

But I understand that with yellow naped amazons, they tend to just be bitey birds and don't make good shoulder pets because of it. I mean, I have one lovebird and one tiel for shoulder pets, but some animals just don't make good shoulder pets, though they're pets and you CAN pet them. ( like dobermans for example )
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

Some birds tend to bite more than others. No matter how well trained the bird, there will always be a chance you can get bitten. I simply suggest making it a even more positive experience for him when he does not bite when he normally would.

He may always be quick to bite. You are brave for letting a bird prone to bite on your shoulder. I would never do it.

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Well she's fine when we go outside, or for 2 mile walks with her on my shoulder. She's never bitten me that way. It's always been in the house, if I sit down with her on my shoulder, or she gets scared by something. Like she bit me because I put a glass under the ice maker and it scared her. So we're fine, and she's become a better, more well-trained bird as we've had her, she's pretty nice lately. Just don't do certain things with her, like sit down with her on my shoulder.
    Melissa

"I am only an egg."

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Hi Melissa,
    I first had posted something I would do to get a parrot to bathe, but decided it was not something that everyone could do, so I erased the post.

However, I just wanted to say that it seems that Lucy is taking the top spot in the pecking order. Sounds like you're working toward teaching her that you are the 'top bird', LOL. And that's great. Keep up the good work!

I like the fact that you aren't trying to speculate on what Lucy might have experienced before she came to your family. Lots of people worry so much about what possibly happened before that they spend more time on worrying and not enough time on dealing with the present situation. With animals it's always best to keep focused on today, like you're doing!!

I trust that once you are securely recognized as the flock leader, it will be a lot easier to convince her to take a bath. Taking her in the shower to watch Oz bathe will eventually have its rewards. Parrots love to imitate behaviors and I trust that one day she'll join in.

Keep up the good work, and keep the faith!!!
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 04-28-2012 at 02:40 AM.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!