Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My cockatiel died this morning :(

My cockatiel, Topper, who was bought when I was two passed away this morning. We found him at the front of his cage, on the bottom as if he was trying to get out. He was 26 and a complete member of my family, originally he'd only deal with my mother (to the point where he nipped my finger when I was young!), but after she passed away he kind of saddled up to me and became my bird. He'd let me clean his top knot, rub his little neck and pet him gently. I didn't really think anything of it when he was on me last night and was letting me freely pet him (which he normally didn't, he'd only let me do it for maybe a minute at most) and was closing his eyes as if he was going to sleep. So I gave him a little kiss on his head and put him back in his cage.

My older brother woke me up this morning after he went to check on the bird before he went back and that's when we found him. I loved my 'tiel and I'm completely heart broken about him being gone. He's been there for my life as far as I can remember, was never mean towards me (Save when I got my finger bit when I was a kid), but is it possible he just died of old age being 26 (Closing in on 27)?

That's one of the last pictures I have of him.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: My cockatiel died this morning :(

I am so sorry for your loss and I can only imagine your pain of losing him after living with him for 26 years. To grow up with a bird like you did and then lose them must feel like a very special part of you has gone away and things now will be very different to you. My daughter grew up with boomer since she was five years old and when he passed away after 12 years she was heartbroken and felt like her only friend from youth had left her. She was lost for weeks without him being there for her so from seeing what she went though I know you must be devastated. Topper is one of the oldest Tiels I have ever heard about so I think your right and he must of finally just got old and died. He must of been such a loving part of your family and it shows because to me his long life tells me that you gave him a awesome life. He was a very handsome boy.

I give this link to people here who have lost there birds because it helped me when I was grieving, http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Lend-Me-a-Bird Your heartbreak right now is a real thing and dont let anyone else tell you differently because after living with Topper for that many years he was family and we all grieve when we lose a family member. Big hugs to you!

Fly free Topper...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Im so sorry to hear about your bird. Sadly, the reason i came to this forum was to seek information as to why mine also died. Mine died this morning around 1am. She was perfectly fine, and then she just fell off her cage and half a minute later was gone despite that I was attempting CPR on her.

Were going to find a beautiful spot up in the mountains to bury her. I do hope you are doing alright, i feel your pain.

Chiko

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm so sorry that both of you have lost your precious babies! I'm sending both of you a "big hug", because I know from experience how heartbreaking it is for them to pass away. 25 years is a very long time to have a tiel, and since you were a small child when he first came to live with you, it surely is like losing a family member for sure. Deanna wrote such a beautiful tribute to Topper. I couldn't have said it any better.

Both of them are flying over the rainbow bridge now, and are resting in peace! And we know that one day you will be reunited with them. Keep the memories that you have shared for all of the years tucked safely in your heart. And always remember that their Spirit will always be in your life, no matter what. My sincere condolences to both of you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

So sorry for your loss. Topper lived a long, healthy and happy life. It's amazing how they come apart of our lives and I can perfectly feel your loss in your post. Sending you hugs..

Fly Free Topper!!!

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

I agree with boomer girl when she said that your heart break is a real thing and not to let anyone else tell you differently. Any person who hasn't made that bond with an animal as intelligent as a bird cannot even begin to understand the pain you go through when you lose someone your so close to. *hugs*

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's heartbreaking to lose a family member you've known all your life. If it's any comfort, the typical life span of a cockatiel is 15 to 20 years. I'd say anything past that is very old age. Sounds like your 'tiel most likely just went home in his good time after a very long and happy life.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Hatching
    Name
    Rhonda
    Thanks

So sorry for your loss. my lil girl didn't live as long as your Topper did. i don't know if it helps you much, but i agree with every one here; your lil guy lived well beyond the normal span for a tiel. He had a wonderful life under your care and i really hope that you can find some comfort in that.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I am so sorry to both of you who lost your babies this week. Big ((((( huggs )))))))
    Gracies Momma

Name
    Coby
    Thanks

I am so sorry to hear about your baby. My heart goes out to you. I know how hard it is to loose a cherished family member.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

I am so sorry for the losses of your wonderful Fids.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Josh
    Thanks

I am so sorry for your loss.