Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

My little Henry passed away

Little Henry my 3 month old parrotlet passed away today. A few days ago he accidentally aspirated a little water in his water dish - really freak accident. When it first happened, Henry had gone into shock, then recovered. I took him to the vet the next day and he said Henry looked fine. He was very active, eating, drinking and climbing with Riley. Then, this morning, I found Riley standing next to Henry's still body. It was so sad. He was so tiny and young.

I never had such an accident happen ever before. I had given them a dish just big enough for them to bathe in. What a horrible mistake. Now Riley has a tiny water dish again.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: My little Henry passed away

I am so sorry Pat This just makes me so sad that he was taken away from you and his flock this soon.

I know you just must be so devastated over this loss because I know how much you love your birds. Poor little Henry, what a tragic accident and now Riley is all alone without him but it least Riley has a good loving flock to help him in his mourning.

Fly Free Henry...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thank you, Deanna. I was totally distraught the other day when he had the accident. Riley had alerted me that something was wrong. Poor Henry was in shock for several hours and it was too late to contact a vet. But Henry pulled through and looked fine, just tired. Next few days he was doing great until yesterday evening. He just looked a little tired. This morning he was gone. Riley is devastated. I've been cuddling him as much as possible all day, but he keeps looking around for Henry. I trust that he'll be okay in a few days, but it will take some tlc to help him over his confusion as to where Henry is.

Both my daughters want me to get another parrotlet to keep Riley company, and they had been upset with me for having so many birds. That tells me a lot about how much they love my birds.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh, Pat. I'm soooooooooo sorry for your loss of Henry. Accidents do happen with pets, but it is a very heart breaking experience to have them happen. I agree that it is good you have your other flock members to ease the pain for Riley somewhat. But birds do grieve, just like we do. I hope you will consider replacing Henry when you feel the time is right for you to do so.

Fly High, Little Henry! Over the Rainbow Bridge, where there is peace and love forever!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Accidents do happen, we all had ones with our birds because they really are too curious and crazy for there own good. I know you will be able to keep Riley from mourning too much and so will your flock but he will be sad for a long time over his loss of Henry. If you decide to get Riley another mate I would wait because he needs the time to grieve for Henry. Just like us humans we need to grieve the loss of deeply loved friend or mate. How devastating to find him like you did, it was always one of my biggest fears here.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Pat, I am so sorry to hear about Henry. One thing for sure, everyone in this community knows how much you love all your birds and what a truly wonderful caregiver you are to the whole flock. I'm sending you hugs.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your kind words. Tonight I couldn't sleep because I was crying my eyes out. I miss Henry so much.

It was the first time I could cry about it. Because I have chronic neck pain for 12 years, depression occurs as a result of chemical imbalance due to chronic pain. So, my doctor put me on prozac, which I only need to take every 5 or 6 days. But in the last couple of days I have taken it twice a day. I didn't take any tonight and boy what a difference. My emotions really surfaced. I hadn't realized just how much those medications keep you from being in touch with emotions until now. But this loss sure has hit me hard.

It's nice to have friends like you to be there at this time. Thanks so much for being here. Hugs to all of you..

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about Henry I am sure Riley appreciates you being there for him through this.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm giving Riley extra, extra attention. I moved his cage next to my desk so he can be by my side all day, but he keeps flying over to where I had it when Henry was here. The strange thing about that is I had just moved them over to that spot from another area of the room. So it looks like maybe Riley remembers where he saw Henry last.

The bird dealer wants me to wait to get another parrotlet. But Riley really needs another little friend to snuggle next to when he sleeps. There's no substitute for that type of affection.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm sending you a big hug today, knowing that you are mourning the loss of your precious little parrotlet, Henry. All of us that have lost our little birds at one time or another can testify to how sad it is to say goodbye to them. It is good that you have the others to take care of each day.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Awful young for a little bird to pass away. Good luck to you for your pal, Little Henry.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Sending you big hugs because we who have lost a loved bird know your pain. Its OK to cry, losing a loved one is always hard to face.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I second Deanna's comment. When I lost Piper, I was so devastated I cried for almost a week. I am sending you big hugs too.. Many of us our thinking about you and this difficult time you are having.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Thank you for your support. It really helps! Even though I had lost birds before in my life, I really didn't know how much the support on the rainbow bridge forum helped. But it surely does!! It's comforting to know that you guys are there. Thanks!!

I got a wake-up call this morning when I went to get Chauncey's nails clipped and asked the dealer about getting another parrotlet to keep little Riley company. He said, 'Pat, I really want to make money, don't get me wrong. But, I really feel that it's better for you to wait a little while. I want what's best for you.'

I stood there shaking and really felt my grief. I told the dealer I'll do what he recommends, that I realize that I'm not in the best position now to make that decision. He is so good!!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is great that you have such a caring dealer. I'm keeping you and your flock in my prayers, during this sad time for you. We KNOW you are a wonderful and caring "mom" to ALL of your flock. And I know all of your little fids feel the LOVE you have for them!