Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Nest box cleaning

Name
    kristen
    Thanks

Nest box cleaning

how often and how should i clean the nest box?? i read that after about a week you should change out the nesting material.....that doesn't seem to right to me. i've so much about the spayed legs and im scared the babies will get them! PLEASE any advice is great appreciated! THANK YOU!

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Re: Nest box cleaning

Very few lovebird hens will allow you to repeatedly clean their nests. (It doesn't happen in the wild...) Some will completely abandon their chicks if you do. Make sure that mom has lots of extra material (palm fronds, plain newspaper, white paper) and she should keep the nest clean herself. If you have to do a little sprucing up, you can remove the dirty top layer and what's in the corners. Replace with clean aspen bedding.
    ~Valerie~

Hatched!
    Name
    mask
    Thanks

I agree, don't clean it. I never have and never will. Keep offering fresh nesting material, they will sort it out themselves then

Name
    kristen
    Thanks

ok thats what i was thinking....it just didnt seem right! i have kept newspaper in there the whole time and she shreds it non stop! she goes through A LOT!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amberlin
    Thanks

I know this thread is nearly 10 years old, but I figured I could leave some information on my experience for others to read. I agree that a nest box shouldn't be cleaned, and new nesting materials should always be available...However, there may be an exception to this rule. My experience yesterday was an exception.

My lovebirds' nestbox was absolutely filthy. I have never seen a nestbox condition like that before. The filth was so bad that Sam (female lovebird)'s tail was caked in baby bird poop. I could smell the stench standing by their cage with their nestbox closed. I looked inside and saw poop not just in a corner but everywhere, and the babies had wet poop all over their bellies. I do not understand how this happened because Sam had a baby before, and her nestbox was fine back then. I cannot allow this condition to continue, so I decided to clean it out and fill the nestbox with similar materials Sam used (I pre-shredded them manually before placing them inside the nestbox). Before I cleaned it all out, I tried to scrape the top part of the nesting material to keep some in, but everything came off together as one giant sticky blob. My partner held the babies to keep them warm while I cleaned the nestbox. As a precaution to prevent this from happening again, I added more nesting materials around the cage than I did before yesterday.

Sam accepted her two three-week-old babies alright. What made it sail well was that I created a daily routine where I would pull up a small play gym on wheels with spray millet on it for Lou & Sam to hop on, then I'd wheel them into a different room with the door closed. I created this routine to do some quick maintenance of the cage and take a quick video/photo of the babies (without touching them). Sam is extremely aggressive inside the cage, even without a baby, so putting her away is helpful. All of that process typically takes 5 minutes or less. I made the experience exciting for the parent birds so that they gladly hop on the play gym from their cage without any hesitation. They would even stay on it for extra few minutes after I've wheeled their play gym back to the front of the cage. I'd wait until both of them hop inside the cage before I wheel the play gym away. I am thankful for this routine because, yesterday, I needed it the most!

During the process, I was aware that Lou & Sam could abandon their babies, and I was prepared to hand-feed them. Thankfully, this did not happen.
    Last edited by ilusdawn; 06-17-2021 at 09:46 AM.