Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Louise
    Thanks

Canary Leg Ring....

Hi all, I have a canary (Bailey) that I have owned for almost 2 months. He has a legring on that was placed on by his breeder. He seems to hate this, and is constantly pecking at it... Also in the last 2 days he seems to be very angry, and whenever I go near his cage, eg to change his water, he opens his wings, and goes to try and peck at me... I wondered if this behaviour is to do with being annoyed at the legring, and if I should maybe take him to the vet to have it removed...

Despite this, he still sings loads throughout the day.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Quick pic...

Louise

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: Canary Leg Ring....

Well, for one, his nails are way, way too long. His toes are probably hurting him from being at a bad angle because of his nails. Please get them clipped. Then see if his attitude changes. You can ask a vet if the band needs to be removed.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Louise
    Thanks

Hi. Thanks. Had his nails clipped at the vets today. Asked about the leg ring and they said they'd only remove it if absolutely necessary and if they did it world be under general anaesthetic. Have to hope he's less grumpy now!! He pecked the vet when he was there today!

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Yes, he did need his nails clipped. As for the leg ring,when I took my budgie to an emergency vet, he removed the leg ring and did not need to use general anaesthetic.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

All birds chew on their leg bands. As long as they are well fitted like your bird's they are fine to leave alone. These bands ID the breeder, the year the bird hatched and the specific bird for that year's hatch, and to obtain pedigree info. should the breeder keep such records. Most do.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Louise
    Thanks

OK, thanks, have to see how he goes then....

Also, since going to the vets to have his nails clipped, he seems terrified all the time now.... If me or my boyfriend go near his cage he just freezes, and a few times has slipped off his perch..... He didn't sing this morning at all, nor when I got back from work, and is just very quiet.... I'm hoping this will pass with time, as it seems he completely hated his experience at the vets.....

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

It's pretty normal for a bird to be somewhat upset for a couple of days after a grooming (nail clipping). He'll get back to his usual self in a little while. His toes will feel better and you'll probably notice quite an improvement in his temperament once he gets over the stress of the visit. Very happy you got his nails clipped!!
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Bailey is truly a beautiful little canary. I agree with Pat, and do think he will get over being afraid in a few days. One thing you might consider doing is to just either sit a few feet from the cage and gently talk to him, or stand a few feet away and talk to him, with some encouraging words. Thanks for posting the picture of Bailey. Please keep us posted on how he is getting along. Patience always wins out when it comes to any bird you have. It takes them awhile to get used to you and their environment. I'll just bet Bailey will be back to singing in a day or so!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Louise
    Thanks

Thanks both.. This morning I heard him singing a little, but nothing this evening, and still scared when we go near.. Will continue to sit and talk to him tomorrow, but at the moment he is fast asleep :-) Lets hope he's back to normal 2moro

Hatching
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Louise,
    All canaries will fuss with the bands, but as stated by others they are an identification ring placed by the original breeder. Yours obviously is blue and shows by the picture to be a bird hatched and raised in 2011. Some places require bands others do not depends on the codes where people live. In the canary field reputable breeders always band to distinguish their birds and to avoid any questions of age. There are a lot of people who try and sell birds much older than they are, thus misrepresenting what the buyer is actually getting. Anyway, it is true some bands can have small burrs and cause discomfort, but the leg will show signs of this via being red or inflamed just like we would show if something was rubbing our skin wrong. A vet who would put a bird under for a simple band removal I would question. Either the vet does not do those simple tasks or he/she delegates it to technicians who would rather put the bird under to avoid a little struggle or lack of knowledge. Band removal is a very easy and quick process. Even if you went on line and looked at L&M leg bands site a band trimmer, or the small cutting instrument to cut bands/remove them is only $14.95 US dollars. Honestly I have done it so often it is no big deal but to someone who has not it is a very stressful and potentially disastrous event. Meaning, yes you could mame or even cause a worst problem killing the bird. Sometime the cutter slips thus breaking the leg or you could get to close, not realizing it and cut the leg instead of the band. Simply stated though, this is a procedure a vet should be able to do in seconds with just an office visit charge, not a full procedural one which includes putting the bird to sleep. Canaries also will fuss at their bands in frustration when in the mood. If his singing was loud and very pronounced he could be in a breeding mood, calling out for a mate. The longer it goes with no response he just got frustrated and could be acting out. While it is also true canaries do not like to be handled and yes are skittish birds by nature, a move to the vets and all that involved could have spooked him. They do have pretty short memories but the ramifications or physical stress it caused his body usually does take a little while to get over. Many breeders see this reaction after birds complete a showing at a canary show where they are entered to be judged. It can take a few weeks for them to fall back to normal. Be aware, birds, especially canaries do not like direct eye contact. If you just want to make sure he is ok, do not go and put your face right up to the cage, thus him. It does engage their flight, danger danger, predator around response. The advice earlier to monitor from a distance and speaking calmly is a very good thing to do.