where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Bleeding / swollen vent; images; no vet

Hi everyone,

One of our budgies had fresh and dried blood caked around his vent this morning. He was also obviously distressed / traumatised.

We cleaned him up with salt water and found a fleshy swelling around his anus that extrudes about 7-8mm. The bleeding is coming from around here but I couldn't pinpoint the source.

Also, what looked like more swolen flesh came loose in cleaning - it was shaped like an hourglass about 5mm x 2mm:

Additional notes:
    • Vomited seeds were all about the cage
    • There were no bloody droppings - couldn't tell if he's even been pooping, though
    • He pooped while we were cleaning him - it was relatively large but otherwise unremarkable
    • I can't take him to a vet - the only one in the country is > 200 miles away; doesn't work on Sunday; I don't have a car

Any advice / assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm at panic-stations here...

Thanks.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Re: Bleeding / swollen vent; images; no vet

He doesn't appear to be pooping at all... hasn't done so in the last hour and a half.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

If you have an emergency vet, take him (you don't have a university or anything nearby? They usually have vet schools which do emergency care). If not, make a hospital cage and keep him warm and keep food/water nearby so he can get it without too much effort. That looks kind of like the pictures someone posted earlier this year of when their bird had a prolapsed cloaca - if that is what it is, only a vet can treat him and it may require surgery.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply Marrie.

If I could bring him to a vet I would have already done so. As I mentioned, there is only one avian vet in this country (Ireland). Nor are there veterinary schools nearby, nor would those schools focus on anything more than dog/cat/farm animals.

If this is a prolapsed cloaca - that can only be treated by a vet - I've got a serious problem. It will take me upwards of 8 hours to travel to her, assuming she can perform the procedure. I'd also have to source a travel / hospital cage, etc., which I can't begin to do till tomorrow (since the whole country is closed on Sunday). The ABSOLUTE SOONEST I could get him to the vet would be Tuesday afternoon.

I'm about to clean him again with warm salinated water. I think the bleeding is probably due to his constantly preening / scratching his vent area. I'm going to loosely follow the procedure I read here using ice, then hydrocortisone on the swollen area (since cortisones are, supposedly, safely used to treat arthritic budgies).

His droppings occur about once every 2-3 hours; are about 3-4x the usual mass; somewhat runnier than normal (not alarmingly so); do not contain any blood; make a squeaking sound when they are evacuated.

I'll wait about 15 mins or so for a "DON'T DO IT" reply before cleaning and treating him as mentioned. Please do reply as soon as you can in that case.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Budgietastic; 05-13-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: clarification

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

The vet doesn't HAVE to be avian certified - those are rare and hard to find, there is only one within 100 miles of me as well, so few actually get the avian certification. Exotics vets who also treat birds, as long as you take a question list to make sure they truly know what they are doing, can treat most bird cases. The one you know of may be able to give you a referral to a vet that also knows about birds and may be closer to you, if he isn't better by Monday.

I don't know much about treating at home. Cleaning it out shouldn't hurt him, though it may sting. One of the breeders who do a bit more at home care may be able to offer more advice when they stop by.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Thank you, Marrie, for your concern and suggestions.

Fidget didn't make it. The hydrocortizone did help with the swelling and seemed to relieve his irritation temporarily. However, by the afternoon his intestines had begun to prolapse as well.

On the advice of a breeder, we called an emergency vet and had him put to sleep. It was arguably the most emotionally painful thing I've ever had to do. He was our family.

Believe me, Marrie, we have gone throught the ringer with the vets in this country. Coming from the States ourselves, we, like you, did not completely understand the abyssmal lack of avian vetrenary care in Ireland until we were already committed to our budgies. For the past 7 years I have done my best to learn as much as possible (from breeders and online) and to acquire medications and kit necessary to treat our budgies at home. My efforts have met with remarkable successful until now. Nonetheless, I often question the wisdom of having birds as pets in Ireland.

When our other budgie calls out for his best friend it breaks my heart. We will have to pay a visit to a breeder soon.

We will remember our little beloved blue budgie for as long as we can remember.

Last edited by Budgietastic; 05-14-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: grammar

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I am sorry to hear he didn't make it it's hard to see our babies unwell, but if he had gotten worse, you did the only thing you could.

Dan (the owner of the site) splits his time between Ireland and his home, he may have some knowledge of resources other bird owners use there. What a shame there aren't more even exotics vets.