Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: RIP Quazi

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

RIP Quazi

Hi Everyone,

I posted in the cockatiel health section about my 'tiel, Quazi who was put to sleep after a terrible accident. He had a night fright and got his wing stuck in the cage bars and became very distressed. After getting him free he was still very stressed out and seemed to be in pain, favoring his wing and squawking. I immediately took him to the emergency vet, but 5 minutes before I arrived, while in the car Quazi started screeching and making these terrible noises. Then all went quiet- he was still alive however he appeared to be in shock. He was leaning forward with his head down and had extremely labored breathing. They put him on oxygen and gave him pain meds. The vet did say she thought there was a slight fracture as well as some bruising. There was also blood on his wings. A few hours later she said he starting to have "seizure like" behavior and recommended he be put to sleep, as she did not believe he would recover. I didn't want to prolong any pain and agreed.

I am still in the process of coming to terms with everything. I can only hope that my own actions did not lead to his demise, I never gave him time to calm down and am worried the car ride caused him to become so distressed that he went into shock. The vet said it seemed like something neurological was going on and that he may have had a stroke. We don't know though. I just hope I didn't make the situation worse. Hopefully he is in a better place now and at peace. I miss him so much.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: RIP Quazi

Hi, I read your other post about Quazi's injury and what happened at the vet's office. I hadn't replied because I just needed a little time. However, I would like to share with you what happened at my house last week. Maybe you'll feel better after hearing my story.

Last week my little parrotlet Henry accidentally jumped in his water dish and aspirated a little water. It shocked him so much that he was in terrible pain for 4 hours. I was frantic because it was too late in the evening to get proper help, and... this is the tough part... it looked like Henry would be passing away any minute. He had all the signs of shock - clicking noise on breathing, wings spread out, back hunched, laying prostrate on the floor of the cage, flicking tail when he breathed, eyes half closed. I was traumatized. Well, Henry came out of it. He was a little tired the next day but was eating and climbing normally. Next day he seemed to be his ole self. The following day you wouldn't have known anything ever was wrong. But then, on the 4th day, Henry passed away.

The reason I'm sharing this with you is because I believe that you did the right thing. Your vet was right in saying that your 'tiel hadn't come out of the state soon enough. I have a feeling that my Henry might have been having a heart attack when he was in shock. And I get a feeling that Quazi might have had something like that, too. Even if Quazi had recovered after a while, who can say what damage had already been done by the trauma he had suffered. He might have been in pain for a few hours or days longer, but it might have eventually caught up with him.

I trust that you spared Quazi a lot of agony. And, in case it's any comfort, my firm belief is that life has been given to all of us for a good reason, and that if He who gave all of us life would simply zap us out to nothingness after we die, then giving us life in the first place would be a huge mistake. And, He doesn't make mistakes. You don't even have to be religious to realize that. I studied it secularly for many years. From the time we come into this world we are learning, learning, learning. And the more we learn, the more we appreciate life, and the more we love. It would be a stupidly cruel thing for us to go through all that learning and appreciating for it all to be thrown away.

I have a lot of peace in my heart, confident that Henry is continuing on in good company. And, I feel that Quazi is, too.

Take care of yourself, keep the beautiful memories of Quazi, and give your little girl fid a big smoochie kiss. Sounds like she needs you now. I hope this post helps.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

So sorry to hear about losing Quazi. We do know how painful it is to lose a beloved fid. I hope you are not to hard on yourself and that Pat's comment helps comfort you. I do agree with everything she stated.

Fly Free Quazi.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Quazi was a beautiful bird and I am so sorry he died in such a tragic way. Our birds do grab out hearts and we fall madly in love with them and when they die we will forever mourn them. I think you did the right thing because many of us have been in put in the same situation and many of us will forever question if we did the right thing for them. Hopefully you will find peace in your decision one day and I know Quazi is watching over you now and all he feels for you is love.

This is my favorite poem and I know it helped me and others here who lost a bird too soon. I still cant read it without crying but I also smile now when I read it because I know I loved boomer and he loved me. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Lend-Me-a-Bird

Fly free Quazi...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Rest in peace Quazi!! You had a wonderful mom who loved you sooooo much. And each of you made the life of the other the best! Fly High over the Rainbow Bridge!! Sending my sincere sympathy to you!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Desertdweller- thank you for sharing your story and I'm so sorry for your loss of Henry. Does the vet know what could have happened to him? Was it a delayed effect from the stress/shock? These things are so tragic and every situation is different. It goes to show that you just don't know what will happen, but you do what you think is best at the time and hope it was the right thing to do. I keep telling myself it could have gone either way, if I left him at home he could have still gone into shock and had a stroke/heart attack or whatever it was he had, then would have suffered more by not being at the vet. I will never know what would have happened. I just wish I would have at least given him 20 minutes or so to calm down after the incident. My panic got the best of me and all I could think was that he needed to get to the vet immediately so they could tend to his wing. I hope I get to a point where I stop kicking myself for not being more calm.

Thank you all for your comments, and the poem is especially sweet. I am going through a rollercoaster of emotions right now but I hope to get better day by day. I think once I get his ashes back I will feel better knowing he's here with me.