where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Farhan
    Thanks

Lazy Budgie / ill Budgie

Hello All,

I bought a very cute budgie pair four days ago around 6 months old. They were very happy since they moved in my place but since today morning, one of my budgie(female) gets ill (seems like). She is very lazy since the morning and eat very light since hours now. Am very worried about her health or may be its normal, but since am very new with budgie pets in my home am curious...
    Can someone please help me how to diagnose whats wrong with my budgie and any home remedies. Since it is not possible to reach vet right away.
    Please help ASAP.

Regards,
    Farhan

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Lazy Budgie / ill Budgie

How long have you had them? It isn't common for them to just suddenly become "lazy" - but birds can be uncomfortable around change/new things so it's common for them to not be too active when still new. However, fi they were active before, it could be she has an issue. Is she lethargic? Sitting on bottom of cage? Fluffed up? Is it possible they have mated and she may be preparing an egg? Without more information on her behavior, it is hard to tell what is wrong.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Farhan
    Thanks

I bought them a week ago and they were very happy and active. But from the morning i m noticing her this new behavior, she is lethargic and sitting idle (not fluffed up). It can be possible that mated but I am not sure about it as I am very new to these pets. How can we know ?? Secondly is there any home medi I can try... may be she is suffering from fever? Problem is that Vet is not available near by.. Please suggest..

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Sitting idle is OK, as long as she's on her perches and eating/drinking still. A week is still pretty new. You can't really tell if they mated until she lays an egg - but if she's getting nesty she would start gathering shreddable material (paper, etc) and trying to build a nest usually. If she isn't sick, medicine would make her so and without knowing what is wrong, there isn't much you can do for treatment.

Take a look at their droppings, are they all tubular or are they wet and runny? Is the urate white, or is it off colored (yellow, etc)? Any blood streaks? Best way to tell is to use newspaper, or wax paper if you want to tell the color exact without it bleeding into absorbent paper.

Is she on her perch when she's idle, or is she hanging out at the bottom of the cage? Any vomiting? Any loss of balance, falling off perches, etc? Is her appetite still good?

Not fluffed up is a good sign. When birds are ill they have trouble retaining body heat, so they will fluff up to stay warm.

How much sleep do they get a night (undisturbed)? Birds require about 12 hours of sleep, so she may be sleep deprived if she is showing no other symptoms.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Farhan
    Thanks

Unfortunately I Lost her :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I'm sorry she didn't make it. It is possible she had a contagious illness from the pet store, if that is the case, you really need to get your male checked out. Is there anyone who could give you a ride to a vet? Any exotics vets nearby that aren't avian certified but treat birds ?