Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Behavior of Tiel Who Lost Mate

Hi Everyone,

My tiel Fiona lost her cage mate a week ago. I have been monitoring her and have noticed these changes:

-Her droppings are different- either they are very small or they are very watery. She usually has very normal droppings. She also seems to poop more often, but they are small poops.

-She has started walking around the bottom of her cage a lot. She does not sit there like a sick bird, but kind of wanders around, sometimes picking at the poop down there. I tried to do some online research and I read that "pacing" on the bottom could be sign of emotional issues and a lonely bird. She isn't pacing though, just walking around.

Could this be her looking for her mate? Any idea how long it takes for a tiel to grieve the loss of her mate? I am planning to get a new tiel at some point but didn't want to rush it. I am worried about her emotional health though.

Thanks for any advice.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Behavior of Tiel Who Lost Mate

It could be her grieving but I cant be sure. Was she is the cage when her mate had his night fright? If so I would really want to say it is grief because watching it happen, then having him taken away so fast just has to make her wonder what happened. I feel for both you, what both of you went through is emotional hard to deal with.

I have seen poops from a sick bird and if they are sick enough the entire poop (green, white and liquids) are all mixed together into a mushy pile so if you this then I would say she is sick.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Tiels do grieve. Just give Fiona lots of love and attention. Woodstock grieved over Piper and it lasted for several months. He was very depressed and turned into a temporary biter and squawker. Patience and time is key. Eventually, he did get back to his agreeable self. If you think stools don't improve, I would definitely take your baby to an avian vet.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Boomer- yes she was in the cage when Quazi had his night fright, she was very traumatized by the incident and actually when I was trying to dislodge his wing she flew out and was very panicked and injured her eye a little bit when she skimmed the wall to closely while flying. Her eye is fine now but yes, she did witness the whole event. I think she is very confused on what happened, it did all happen so fast. Her poops have been varying, sometimes they are small but look normal (white, green, etc) but then sometimes it's more watery so it makes it appear mushier than usual.

Thanks Pipers Mom, I have been giving her a lot of attention. When she sits on my shoulder she just preens and grinds her beak and seems pretty content. But I am worried about when she's alone that it may be stressing her out, wondering where he is. I feel so terrible for her. I am hoping with time she will improve and adjust to the changes. If her poops continue to be abnormal I will make a vet appt.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Another suggestion I would have is when you have to be out of the house for work or running errands, etc. you could consider playing either the TV, some CD's or the radio. My birds like soft classical music played throughout the day. And they also like to listen to and watch the "Disney Channel". I also have a friend who plays the radio for her bird when she is at work. I agree about giving her lots of attention. It will take time for her to emotionally heal too! Sending you a BIG hug, and my tiel and budgie, Ollie and Muffin, are sending wing flaps and beak kisses to Fiona!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you! I always leave the TV on for her when I'm not here, so she is never sitting here in silence. So...I woke up this morning to find an egg at the bottom of the cage. Now I'm thinking this is why he behavior was different (especially walking around the bottom the cage). She has done this a few times before, she literally drops an egg from her perch and it cracks open at the bottom. She has never had any interest in it though or tries to lays on it, just goes about her business!

I am really hoping her behavior will go back to normal now.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Poor girl, to be right next to him when he was stuck may haunt her for a long time, you too. Sending you lots of hugs.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.