Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Feathers are SCARY!!

Both of our fids are moulting, which has made cleaning a TON of fun. I don't know how all those folks with bigger birdies handle it!!

Twitter (our diamond dove) doesn't really seem to notice that she is losing a ton of feathers. Maybe she doesn't care...maybe she sees making me clean as a fitting punishment for stealing her man (my husband)?

But... Earl (our budgie) has been freaked out at all these horrible things flying around. Feather on the beak? Time to freak out and make agitated noises. Feather on the foot? Flap like crazy to get it off while making agitated noises. Feather on the bars of the cage? Make agitated noises - while sitting as far away from those evil feathers as possible. While I was trying to help him get a feather off of his tail (maybe it was chasing him?), he tried landing on my lip... ouch!! I just find it odd that he would be freaked out by his own feathers??

Last edited by Paloma; 05-19-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added pic of scaredy bird...

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty
    Marco (Polo) - Russian Tortoise

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Feathers are SCARY!!

Birds are afraid of the strangest things but for Earl to be afraid of his own feathers is rather funny to me. I bird sit for my sisters Amazon when he was molting once and it was a huge mess because Mango likes to do flappy happies in his cage and the feathers just flew all over the place.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

My husband and I have been trying very hard not to laugh at him... because I'm sure that would freak him out even more!! Watching Earl stare at a feather on his bell was a good 5 minutes of entertainment, but I felt sorry for him and removed the scary feather.

We think this is his TRUE nature coming out. He's afraid of everything. We think he was so good at the store because he was more afraid of the birds picking on him than coming out of the cage with me. Now that he has his own cage, he'd rather not come out - unless the feathers are flying around. I'm always welcome to visit the cage, and I get kisses when I do, but I don't really fit in the cage. Poor guy!

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I cant blame you for almost laughing at him because they are so funny when they are afraid of something silly like a feather. Boomer was afraid of everything too so I know the feeling well. Maybe in time he will get more secure and not so afraid but since boomer never out grew it perhaps neither will Earl.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Earl is a gorgeous budgie! I have come to realize that birds that are sold at Pet Shops can sometimes be quite traumatized before we bring them home. I'm not sure if it is in transit to the stores, or as you say, being picked on by other birds, but it definitely does a number on them. Last October I brought a little yellow budgie home from a Pet Shop. I named him Muffin. Muffin was positively scared of EVERYTHING in his cage, for a very long time. I had to take all of the toys and mirrors out of the cage. I had to feed him some bird formula, because he was scared to eat out of his food cup. He wouldn't drink water nor eat his food on the bottom of the cage where the food and water cups fit into the cage, so I had to tie those cups with some twine to the bars on the top part of his cage. He never made any sound at all for days and days, and I truly thought I would lose him. After about 6 weeks of this behavior, he started to "come out of his shell" so to speak, and now after all of those months he is the happiest and active bird you could imagine. I have a tiel, and he has learned to make the sound of a tiel when he flock calls. He loves to sit on his food cup right next to Ollie the tiel's cage, and he chatters away and even says "pretty boy" and "pretty bird".

I'd say Earl will also come around as time moves forward and be just like any other budgie. As they say, time and patience are always on our side when it comes to little fids!

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

I'm not sure what has made him this way, but we're starting to believe that he and the cat are soulmates. Luckily, if something REALLY scares Earl, his first reaction is to sit on my shoulder (since he hasn't discovered the space under the bed). It doesn't seem to be noises that scare him - TV, me dropping things, the cat falling off of things. It's the silly stuff. Feathers, bugs, pieces of cat hair... very scary. We just realized about 30 minutes ago why Earl will sometimes come out of the cage and why sometimes he won't: the ceiling fan light is scary and bright.

On the plus side, Earl never got "baths" at the shop. I gave him his own private lettuce and water bath last night. Success!!

Twitter - Diamond Dove
    Earl - Budgie
    Rorschach - Kitty