Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

My cage setups (picture heavy)

Thought I'd share some pics of my cage setups because I know there are lots of new people looking for ideas about cages. I hope others might post here as well - not only photos, but also explanations for certain ideas you have so we might help the new bird owners.

My birds like the setups and since I have such a variety of birds, I'm hoping that these pics will help nearly everyone with small to medium-sized birds.

First, I'd like to mention some standards that I employ and do not deviate from, both for the welfare of my birds and also for their enjoyment.
    1. I purchase only large cages - even for tiny birds. My parrotlet has the same size cage as the Indian Ringnecks.
    2. Each cage I purchase comes with a platform and ladder. I use the platform for the feeding station. I use 3 dishes – 1 for water, 1 for seed/pellet mix and 1 for salad/cooked food mix.
    3. No toys or other items are ever hung above the feeding station. It’s important to keep food and water clean.
    4. I provide toys for several activities: climbing and swinging, shaking and ringing, and chewing toys.
    5. I make sure that there is plenty of room for the birds to spread and flap their wings unobstructed.
    6. I use only ceramic, stainless steel or parrot-safe plastic dishes for safety and ease of cleaning.
    7. Perches are made of rope, grape root or wood of a variety of shapes and sizes. This prevents foot cramping and other foot ailments. When the feet are comfortable, the bird feels better.
    8. I place towels across all the cage tops. This keeps the inside of the cages free of falling debris from top-of-the-cage activities and provides the birds with yet another comfy surface on which to walk.
    9. Tops of cages provide a wide variety of items for different activities. I attached grape root to one cage, have play gyms on others, use birdy tents and huts. There are plush toys (bird or dog safe), chew toys, balls, rattles, leather and rope, among others. The birds need mental stimulation and this setup provides it.
    10. Each bird has his own cage – except for my 2 house sparrows. They share a cage.
    11. The seed trays at the bottoms are lined with unprinted newspaper which I purchase at U-Haul for an incredibly low price - $8.80 per box of 140 large sheets. Lasts a very long time and is non-toxic.
    12. I also have a 2’ by 4’ playpen which I built myself. It has 2 grape roots attached to the floor and a large boing slung between them. The birds love to use it.

I hope this explanation helps people looking for ideas. I'm posting the pictures next....
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Re: My cage setups (picture heavy)

Here are the photos:

Kahnee and Gabby's cages:

Riley's cage:

Sparrows' cage:

Top of Riley's cage:

Top of sparrow cage:

Misty's cage:

Top of Misty's cage:

Chauncey's cage:

Playpen:

Just wanted to mention: I didn't photograph the lower half of the cages. Those areas are clear so the birds can exercise their wings. I just photographed the toy/perch/feeding areas on the top half.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Ooooh I love your 'playpen'! Makes me motivated to find things that could make good outside of the cage toys- as right now my birds just fly around and chew on my books when they are out! I like how all of your birds have the same cage types- I find that it is hard to make a room looks not messy when the cages don't match!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Nice cages i like it very much i want to buy this types of bird cages.....

Do you like this cages: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...VF-EDGekSNgvBw

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muscowequan View Post
    Nice cages i like it very much i want to buy this types of bird cages.....

Do you like this cages: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...VF-EDGekSNgvBw
    Thank you!! But, sorry, I cannot see the cage you posted a link for. Can you try posting again? Thanks

First Clutch Hatching... maxollie's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Pat, this is an awesome thread. Thanks so much for posting all about your cage setup. I am looking to get a bigger cage for Ollie, and your info here is going to be of great help to me. When you speak of the ladder and platform, that really is an outstanding idea, because I would imagine in a bigger cage, having to crawl up the sides would hurt their little feet. What brand do you purchase, and do you have a website/link I could visit to look at something similar. I had just posted a picture of one that I had found recently, on my last album, that I had some interest in. My main goal is to get one that I can roll around, because with the spine and back issues I have, I can't be carrying a cage around, and my babies sleep with me in the bedroom at night, so I carry their cages every day.

I am going to be sure and save this thread so I can go back and reference it. It is great to have a person like you who has so much experience in caring for birds to share info with us.

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I purchase all my cages from 'Everila' on Ebay.com. I tried other brands but I really really like the Everila cages. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260731802084...84.m1497.l2649