Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

New budgie does not move

I bought a new budgie 4 days ago. It didn't eat anything the 1st 3 days, yesterday it started eating. It stands still in a place all day and rarely moves. 1-2 times a day it flies from one side of the cage to the other for some times, but all other day sits somewhere and looks. It does not play, move, sing, explore the cage.
    I want to ask, is it normal because it is still adapting in his new environment, or is it not normal?
    It is a male and it's size is something smaller than the others.
    Thank you

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: New budgie does not move

Yes, it is very normal for budgies to display this behavior when you first bring them to your home. He is definitely "checking out" his environment, as well as getting used to being in a cage all by himself, and learning to "trust" you as his friend. You are fortunate that he has already started to eat. Sometimes they can go as long as a week or so before they eat and drink water. Hopefully he is drinking some water. You can pick up "millet sprigs" at your local pet shop/pet store and break up a spring of it in very small pieces and put a little of it in another food cup close to his regular food cup, or break a sprig of it in half and hang it in his cage close to the food cup. Millet is very moist and has some water content, so if he isn't drinking water as yet, the millet would give him some liquid in his diet.

Sometimes there will be smaller budgies than others. Perhaps one of his parents was a small bird. And most likely he is very young. Usually they are about 6 weeks to three months old when you find them in pet shops for sale. And even breeders do not sell their budgies until they are fully fledged (able to fly), and can eat on their own. He will grow as the days and months move forward. I am sure you are going to have a great friendship with him. I've had budgies in my home for many, many years, and I'd be lost without one around.

Patience always wins out when it comes to relating to and training a little budgie. Just talk gently to him, even play some soft music on your CD player, or play some cartoons on TV, (not real loud). I'm sure he will begin playing with his toys, singing and exploring his cage within 10 days or so. It sounds to me like he is healthy.

We LOVE to see pics of birds here, so I hope that you will post pics of your little guy one of these days. And by the way, what is his name?

Name
    Lark
    Thanks

Yes, this is totally normal! Imagine if you were suddenly moved from all what is familiar to a completly new house, state, temperature, environment, and food! It's the same for him. Curiosity will win him over eventually and he'll warm right up!(: Congrats on your new family member!
    ℕ∀ⅤѦ ツ

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sean
    Thanks

Sounds are important.

To help a new bird feel more at home, play budgie noises.

I have public playlist on YouTube called "Budgie Favourites 1".

Loop it (on full volume). That should help your budgie come to life.

I also have a "Budgie Loop 1" and "Budgie Loop 2" which I will sometimes play (on loop) simultaneously.

There is also an album you can buy called Happy Budgies that's supposedly 63 mins of budgies.

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

It's two months today with Pepe. He reacted to his new life in much the same way as your budgie. I suffered the feelings you are having also. I kept telling myself to have patience, but it was so hard. Each new thing he did was a reward for my constant watching and hovering around his cage. Maybe he did one new thing a day. I finally pulled back and let him have his space. I took his cage outside every morning while I worked in the garden. He started coming to life the first day. I think it was the fresh air, sunshine, activities of the birds flying all around and calling that brought him around, it certainly wasn't me. I stopped by his cage and talked to him as I worked. Now he fights with his toys, eats his fresh food eagerly, sings and chatters for hours, explores his cage and flaps his wings yelling in the enjoyment of his new life. Yesterday he took his first bath. Actually it was just a good face wash with lots of preening afterwards, but it was a first.

I was having a difficult time getting him to come out of his cage when we are inside for the afternoon. I mounted a wicker paper plate holder on top of his cage and eventually he started chewing on it from inside. Soon that wasn't good enough and he climbed out to get at it from on top. I was able to get him to step up on my finger so I could transfer him to the play gym on the table and take his cage away for a good cleaning. He sulked for hours, but then started singing and preening. There's another wicker basket on the table and I'm hoping when he discovers it he will relax and become more active on and around his gym. When he does I'll resume his training and hope our bonding will maybe happen. I have now convinced myself that "all good things come to those who wait" and patience is the key. It will happen when Pepe wants it too and not before.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

@ Sunny, You are very creative, and had great ideas to get Pepe started in his new "wonderful life" with you. Especially now that it is summer in most places around the world, taking the cage outside with the birds around him was an "awesome idea". Sounds to me like those little birds outside touched little Pepe's heart so much he decided it was time he showed you how adorable he really is!