Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Quarantine since Feb

Hello Tailfeathers Friends! It's been a really long time since I've posted on here and I figured it's time to come back I have a question for you guys and I would just like to see what your input is. I rescued a Tiel (I named him Rio) back in February and he's been in quarantine since then. I have a room dedicated to my birds (3 additional Tiels and a Nanday Conure) and I would like to move him into the room now. Well Rio came to me with a feather plucking problem. He's been to the vet and has had so many tests done and has been deemed healthy. He's not had a beak and feather test though, which is weird, I know. That's what I took him to the vet for in the first place and he's been stuck and poked many times and I've had enough. Poor thing was so stressed the last time. I don't think he has beak and feather though because other than feather plucking, he's really good! I just feel at this point it would be another unnecessary test and he's been doing so well. I've had him since February and he has been doing great! He's a real sweety! I think he might do better once he's in the bird room with the other birds and can talk to them and communicate. Just looking for some opinions! Thanks in advance!

Oh and this thread would be to boring without a few photos

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Quarantine since Feb

Welcome, he looks like a very cute tiel.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Welcome back to the community, Lisa. I admire you for re-homing and rescuing little Rio. The pics are adorable. He is such a handsome little guy. As I'm sure you realize, rescues often times take even more patience and understanding than other birds that have a home life from day one, because of all the possibilities of trauma both mentally and physically which happens to them. I think you have accomplished alot with Rio since you've had him for only a few months. I personally believe that the feather plucking most likely comes from the life that he had before you took him. He might have even been lost out in the wild, or his caregivers simply were not qualified to take care of him. Did you ask your Vet about putting him in the room with the others. After all of the months, I would think that would be possible. Another suggestion would be to give Rio some "ground wheat germ" in his seed/pellet mixture, or you can also get wheat germ vitamins at a pet shop/store. Wheat germ is wonderful for birds skin and feathering. Begin by putting about 1/4 tsp. of the wheat germ in his seed, or a couple of drops of the vitamins in his food each day. You can slowly increase the amount if need be, but tiels are not that big of a bird to give them alot of the wheat germ. It looks to me like Rio isn't very old either. So, hopefully, the next major molt he has he will lose those old feathers and get a brand new set of feathers! And then all of his birdy buddies in your flock will really be after Rio! (lol)

Thanks so much for sharing the pics. I hope to see a pic of your whole flock sometime soon! See you around the forum!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Rio is one handsome bird Lisa and he looks so happy and comfortable in his pictures. We had some lovies here that had beak and feather disease here before (RandR's) lovebird flock got it and it effected there beaks almost as much as there feathers. They looked awful and there beaks grew fast and strange and by looking at your Rio it dont look like he has it because he is so well groomed except where he has been chewing on his chest. There is a conure at the feed store near us that does the same thing to her chest feathers and she is happy and healthy but barbs her chest feathers. Hopefully with the next molt Rio will not do it anymore. I would say after all the tests done to your Rio he is healthy and can be introduced to the rest of your flock.

Hopefully you will hang around here and show off your flock to us again.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for the response! Ellen, I really appreciate the tips and will try that out! That was very helpful. His feather plucking I heartbreaking to me as I've never had to deal with this issue before. This Saturday my hubby and I didactic huge cage clean! We took all the huge cages outside and scrubbed them! It took about 3 hours until we were done with everything! We both thought that this was the perfect time to move Rio in with the others. He loves it! One of my Tiels has been incredibly interested in him and keeps eyeballing his cage. Pepper, my Nanday, was a little grumpy that he now has to share me with yet another Tiel, haha.

I will need to post pics of the flock and also my bird room

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Maybe just having Rio in the same room with your flock will cheer him up and make him stop plucking his feathers. I cant wait to see your flock pictures because I know what a cute flock you have.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That's great news, Lisa. Rio has joined your flock in the cages. Look out . . . . As handsome as Rio is, I'll bet he soon will be "going steady" with his new admirer! (lol) Yes, I agree with Deanna, whenever you can find some time, post some pics for us!! And you are quite welcome for reviewing my comments. I hope they were of some help to you! And I'm so happy that Rio is happy with his new buddies!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Ellen, Rio is temporarily in his own cage. Two of my tiels share a cage (male and female) and they actually have "fun time" weekly, lol. I was worried about it at first (began few years ago) but then I saw someone on here posting that birds are like people and do it just for fun too! Haha. I haven't had any problems. Anyway my goal is to get Rio housed with my third Tiel who is currently in a big cage alone. But I figure to go slow. So for now they're both alone, lol.

I will get some pics up tomorrow