Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Eggs for Chronic egg laying in tiel hens

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Plastic Eggs for Chronic egg laying in tiel hens

My little hen tiel, Ollie, began laying eggs about once a month, way back in September. She is a "single hen", by that I mean there is no male cockatiel in our home. I've done quite alot of research on this subject. I'm not into giving a bird lupron, so I decided I'd try the plastic egg route, since there is some caregivers who have tried it and had a favorable result.

Right now, little Ollie is in the middle of another egg laying event. She laid two eggs as of yesterday. I decided to try exchanging one of her real eggs for a plastic one yesterday. Today, was her egg laying day, and she laid the third one about 15 minutes ago. She has "discarded the plastic egg", and has hidden it under a piece of paper towel. And she is setting on her two eggs she has laid. (minus the one I took out of her cage yesterday).

This goes to show you how very intelligent birds really are. Ollie knew that plastic egg wasn't hers and no way was she going to waste her time setting on it.

Ollie is very healthy, and has a wonderful diet with lots of calcium and other nutrients, including fresh veggies, so I am not worried about her health being compromised due to her egg laying habits.

I'd love to get some input on this thread as to others who have chronic egg layers, and what they do, if anything to curtail the behavior.

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Re: Plastic Eggs for Chronic egg laying in tiel hens

try to put her off egg laying!

it's the best way to do it

just wait till she loses interest in her eggs and then remove them i think that's what's best to do im dont know anything more about cockatiel laying eggs and stuff so yeah!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Maxollie I maybe be able to give you some insight on this.
    The whole story is on another board, but I detailed everything as it happened over about 18mths.
    My situation is different to most in that the Tiels are free 24/7 and I could not implement a lot of what others said to do!
    Roxy and Tink pumped out over 32 eggs in one season. I lost Roxy on the operating table after she suffered a prolapse. Tink came so close to death. We think an egg forming pressed against her sciatic nerve.
    Roxy started laying just a few weeks after I got her. her first egg was laid while we out at the rescue from where I got her. And she laid it while on my shoulder. After 3 more eggs i took to the Lupron and it did stop her for 3mths. I got Max to become her mate, but at first she could not lay, so I gave her and Max two Tinks eggs to take care off. Well those two babies were a lot bigger than Tinks own. Stunning when you think about it. Well moving on. Roxy got over the Lupron and she then started laying and Tink was moving on to her next batch. End story over 32eggs.
    Ok so Cindy was adopted to replace Roxy and Max excepted this. Last season Cindy started laying her second lot of eggs while the babies were only 3weeks old, Tink was back to pumping out eggs as well. Tink had problems and again I nearly lost her. Off to the vet with one very sick Tiel again. She laid while there and then recovered enough to give her Lupron injection. Did she care! No! she went on to lay another batch of eggs, before this round stopped.
    On to Cindy. What to try next? Ok dummy eggs (Yes Maxollie she did seek to know the dummy ones at first)But I kept at it and when she laid I would take that one away and put two back under her. Somehow we got to 7 dummy eggs and she stopped for a week and I was getting smart about stopping her. Then! She was back into laying mode. I ended up with her on 13eggs and she stopped.
    You should note here that I gave them nests. And I did try boiling their own eggs but found that when they dried out they would not roll around like good eggs.

Things to try if you can.
    Daylight Hours.
    Change environment. This could be another room or change the cage layout. Anything that will make her feel not so comfortable.
    Stop soft foods.
    And I guess you already know never remove any eggs until they show no more interest in them.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Clive, Thank you so much for telling me all about your tiels and the chronic egg laying that has challenged you as well.

I really don't want to go to the lupron, because I'm not much of a medicine person for humans or birds unless it is positively necessary.

When I wrote this thread, I had just introduced Ollie to a couple of the plastic eggs, replacing them with two of hers that had broken. At the time I thought they might just work. However, fast forward to a week or so later when she was now setting on (4) plastic eggs, and the "fun" really began. Ollie took to the plastic eggs like they were her "babies", and became so obsessive that she would set on them the entire night (in the corner of her cage, no nest box of course). I would have to force her up to the perch to clean the cage and feed her. She would do her poops, drink some water, eat some food, and back to the corner with the plastic eggs she went. This proceeded to go on for at least 10 days, and one morning I decided that was the end of the plastic eggs. By that time it was a few days past the hatching date of the first egg, and I could see that Ollie really needed to get back to a regular routine of eating, drinking, playing with her toys, and being her usually cheerful self. So the plastic eggs were washed and went back to the cupboard. I went to the petshop and got Ollie a brand new cage, rearranged the toys she had, and have refused to let her be in the bedroom on afternoons, to "nap", because that was when she would get all of these egg fantasies in her head, even having a "ritual" of dumping out the cup that holds the cuttlebone pieces, and placing them in certain parts of the cage bottom! I also took the soft whole wheat bread away from her daily food diet. She was having plenty of night sleep as it was, so I haven't changed that schedule. She goes to bed about 5:00 at night and I get her up about 9:00 in the a.m., so I feel that is plenty of sleep time for her.

Muffin (my little budgie) and I have sure had to put up with some real "tantrums" from Ollie over the last couple of weeks, because at the same time every day, between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., she puts on her "let me go to the bedroom" suit, and makes lots and lots of verbal chatter and chirping, cheeping, etc. etc. Each day gets a little better, and I'm sticking to my guns and not waivering in my decision to try hard to keep her from laying eggs every month. About the only other alternative would be for her to have a "birdy hysterectomy", and I'm not very sure I want to do that either, because from what I have read about it, it is a pretty high risk surgery.

Please stop by my thread on occasion. I will post an update as to how things are going with Ollie. She is such a "sweetheart", and I am trying everything I can to keep her healthy.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

About the only other alternative would be for her to have a "birdy hysterectomy", and I'm not very sure I want to do that either, because from what I have read about it, it is a pretty high risk surgery.
    This is not a good option. Very high risk with birds.
    But there is another one.
    I came close to having implants put in both my girls. The dummy egg flooding was the last thing, if that had failed they were both going in for the implants.

Calcium could be fresh Kale or finely powdered Cuttle Bone of egg shells sprinkled over her food.
    I went to the extreme of making Special treats for them. Like Nuggets with all sorts of things in them, then add the crushed egg shells.
    You may off been a bit quick to remove the eggs, you have to make sure she has given up on them.
    And the eggs could of been in a nest of some sort, even just a paper towel, it makes no difference to the laying. And you may as well make her as comfortable as possible. It is the number of eggs that is more important I feel. And the nest helps keep them all in the one place.

My nightmare is I am just coming up to a new season and I now have 3 girls. I like to think they should lead as natural life as possible so am willing to let the Zinny and Angel have one batch each. Tink I dare not let her. She is only 5years old as far as I know and I can see the damage the two traumas have cost her. My AV does not think she would survive another episode.
    Yes I will keep watching your thread.
    You are not alone, many others have female Tiels that lay many eggs.
    The biggest issue is that she loves you. So other than the eggs you should be happy to have that kind of relationship with her.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I brought Ollie home from a Pet Shop last June 2nd (2011). At the time, I was told she had only been there one day, and the woman who was the salesclerk told me she had just come back from vacation, and could not tell me how old Ollie was, although she said the tiels that come into the petshop are young, and she thought Ollie was probably about 12 weeks old or so. Ollie and I "loved" each other from the first time our eyes met. There were only two tiels in the aviary that day. One was sitting on the floor, and I knew that spelled "trouble", the poor thing, but I was brave and told the clerk to get Ollie ready for me to take home. Ollie does have a band on one foot, but I never did try to look to see the info on it, because I didn't want to scare her or upset her. When I first got her she used to pick around it and try to get it off her little leg, but after awhile she stopped that.

Ollie's first clutch was 4 eggs, the second was 3, and then each one after it has been 4. With the exception of one clutch, she showed hardly any interest in the eggs, and abandoned them very early on in the cycle. I left each clutch for the full time, and only when an egg may have gotten accidentally broken did I have to remove it. So, when she took so much interest in the plastic eggs, it was not like her to do so. And yes, I am sure I probably jumped the gun and took the plastic eggs out before she abandoned them herself. It also is very difficult to clean the bottom of the cage with the eggs in the corner of the cage. She has laid in every corner of the cage, but there were times when I had to move the eggs to clean up, and of course, I am well aware they don't want their eggs moved either. I am with you in that I also agree that Ollie needs to live a natural life as much as possible. I don't mind the egg laying at all, it is only her health that I worry about. And IF she was only 12 weeks old when I got her, then she began laying eggs very early in her life, long before she was even a year old. And another interesting thing about Ollie is that she has never had what I call her hard/full yearly molt. She loses only a feather or two now and then. And Ollie is "always" a happy bird. She never hisses, or gets aggressive when I have to clean the cage with her eggs in there. I just put her on the food cup and let her eat while I'm cleaning. My goal is to slow down her egg laying, only for her health, because I sure don't want anything to happen to her. We are bonded big time, and she and my little budgie, Muffin are the joy of my life.

I'll keep this thread updated on the progress I am making. Thanks for your reply, Clive! Sending wing flaps and beak kisses to your flock from mine!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie
    Got it!
    I see going over this thread I seem to have covered most of your questions, just as you have said.
    I think Female Tiels can lay from around 6month old.
    I am going to be interested in seeing if flooding with dummy eggs cracks it for you. Fingers crossed.
    With the eggs they do not usually sit on the eggs till a few have been laid. This is so that the eggs hatch closer together. Some feel it can take 28days before they except the eggs are not going to hatch.
    Good that she took to the dummy eggs, it is strange that they do seem to know what is going on yet can be convinced to except them.

Now the other question was about breeding Snowy and Angel.
    As I understand it if they breed their young should be all whiteface lutino's both female and male.
    That is if they are both whiteface lutino without any other mutations or splits.

My flock dynamics will play out who ends up with who.
    As Snowy has been so withdrawn it looks like this season may pass without him being on par with the others.
    i think what you are seeing is just shadow, not cinnamon. And I still do not know if Snowy has very dark red eyes?
    I'm stressing out over his well being.
    Read my thread about him going to the vet today. He is locked up in a cage by me and going to be there for the rest of the week so that I can dose him each day.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Clive, Well this morning, the plastic egg was in the middle of the cage floor and Ollie was setting on the real egg. Right now she is nesting with only the real egg with the plastic one in the place she left it, and is getting ready to lay egg #2. We shall see how this clutch plays out. I did leave the eggs in the cage for 28 days the last time around, and only in the last 4 days did she abandon them, 2 eggs every other day. And she knew exactly which one she laid first, second, third and fourth. To me, that is so simply amazing. No doubt about it, all birds, and our tiels, are super intelligent, and nature has made them very, very special.

I certainly do value your expertise and knowledge of tiels. I just posted my remarks about Snowy on the thread you created concerning her welfare. I will be keeping her in my prayers that she will soon be able to get back with the flock. With the set-up you have and the nice play gym you have made for them, I'm sure she is rather sad she can't interact with her little pals. Hopefully everything will soon be better for her. I'll keep this thread current concerning my Ollie! Have a blessed day!

Name
    Carrie
    Thanks

Have you tried natural hormone reduction?? Forgive me if i missed it.

Name
    Carrie
    Thanks

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

If she is laying eggs that are not real, watch closely for egg binding. I had a budgie that I thought it was funny she laid eggs without a mate. I came home one evening and she was dead. Turned out one egg did not come out. Egg binding. Nobody was home at that time to help her.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Ollie has been laying eggs for a year now. Each clutch she lays I watch her very carefully. I am at the place where I know when she is ready to lay her egg, so I sit by the cage and encourage her until she lays the egg. I am fortunate that her eggs are very hard shelled and that she has an easy time laying them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-17-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Update for today: Ollie laid her second egg in this clutch. Everything went fine and she is fast asleep tonight, with her two eggs minus the plastic egg I put in yesterday. She isn't interested in it at all.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-17-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Maxollie
    I would take the real eggs away in that case and force her to except the dummy ones.
    Put something in there to keep them altogether.
    I am sure with persistence she will except the fake eggs. Stop giving her the choice.
    Load her up. I know it seems mean, but trust me on this.
    The only problem you have if you do not get her to sit on the dummy ones is that you will not be able to flood her with eggs.
    I know what you are saying about them being smart, but you are dealing with the her body and need to get past her mind. So you do need to convince her the dummy ones are eggs. And only when the body excepts that there are enough will it stop production. And all the time she is laying like this it could impact on her longevity.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

I have kind of a stupid question. With the plastic eggs-do you guys have a problem with them rolling around? I tried them with Chester and they were so light that I think it gave away that they weren't real (did that make sense?) And when either bird would fly or flap their wings the eggs would go flying. How do you get around this? Or are your plastic eggs heavy?

Remove Ads