where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Silly bird

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Silly bird

My tiel has developed a few funny habits since I moved him into a new room. I have it sectioned off with baby gates so the bunnies only have access to half of it.

He gets behind the baby gates and lures the bunnies over to him, then tries to bite their noses through the gate, cause he knows the bars will protect him from the rabbits. Not that they would ever try to hurt him anyway, but when he bites them they do get up and hop away and it scares him, so he has protection now!

He has stolen the bunnies cardboard tunnel. If a rabbit dares try to enter it, I get to hear a very angry tiel chasing a rabbit biting at their feet. I ended up just putting it back behind the gate on his side since the rabbits didn't get to use it anyway. He now crawls in there and makes his cute little happy chirps sometimes, but only when the rabbits are in the room, I swear he's bragging to them.

When the bunnies are bad I put them back into their room. I did that yesterday and they hadn't finished their salad, so I come back in and the bird is on the floor eating the uneaten veggies (safe from bunny germs, I spread greens out and watch them eat since the bird likes to eat with them so he doesn't get their germs from it) making his laughing noise. I guess he was thinking "haha dumb mammals, now this salad is all mine!"

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Silly bird

I have no doubt he is laughing at them when he chases them away or when he eats there greens. He is a brave bird to bite a bunnies feet but then he has the advantage that he can fly away from them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is too cute, Marrie! Never a dull moment in a home full of our favorite pets, for sure!

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Deanna, he's not so brave all the time. Powder sometimes gets fed up of being bitten (which I can't blame him) so he'll try to dominate bunny style (put his chin on whatever he's dominating) and then I have a little bird flying to me squawking in my ear about how mean the bunnies are being I picture it in my head like in those cartoons where the cat is always picking on the dog and then when the dog snaps the humans get onto the dog and the cat laughs, only it's a bird not a cat and a bunny not a dog.

Ellen, nope, never is haha they keep me busy all day.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanos cracks me up and it least Powder puts him in place now and then.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

For sure these tiels are amusing. They are so protective of what they think is theirs. Including the human they picked to bond with. P'nuts gym is right where I can reach out my hand and he can get on my finger. If I am sitting in my chair playing with one of the rats he gets sooooo upset. He paces his gym, trills for me, starts chattering, and flaps about doing his wing exercises. And beg! He begs! If I'm eating it he wants it too! Marrie...how did he do when you first moved your fid to another room? My fid HATES change and will go to the very back corner of his cage if I do something new with his cage or move it. He also won't really come to me when I tell him to "come here".

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

My guy has had free flight of the whole house, so he's fine with change - he rides my shoulder when I get up, he likes to explore. So moving his cage to a new room didn't bug him, he was already used to the room. When we first moved in to the new house, we took him on a tour before we even moved the furniture in. I find my tiel responds better to whistles for commands to come than anything else. I can't whistle though, so I make boyfriend whistle for me when I want the bird. Otherwise I go over and actually ask him to step up. As for begging, oh yes. They do beg. My tiel is rude though, if he really wants it he'll just dive into my plate, then trail the food on his feet across my clothes. ha

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Marie, your story is hysterical!! Thanos must think he is King of the Castle.. One thing I need to teach Tango is table manners. We had breakfast for dinner last night and John gave him a piece of toasted wheat bread and Tango wanted mine instead. How is Thanos with his table manners?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sweet, hilarious bird. Gotta love their antics! I've been taking my tiels to different parts of the house when I try to work with them. I noticed when I work with them in the living room (where their cage and playpen are located), after a few minutes, they try all sorts of things to try and get back to their playpen.

They're funny! Every time we pass the hallway mirror, I swear they squawk at me to stop or go back so then can see their "friends." Then when I do stop and step closer to the mirror, Pika gets territorial and starts attempting to "beak wrestle" with his reflection. Boy, does he get riled up! When I try to separate him from his reflection, he gets huffy all the same though. Funny lil bird. Can't wait till they're both fully hand tamed. They're such sweet, lovable lil babies.