Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

New egg in old clutch or new clutch?

So, About a month ago, Beaker started laying eggs. I left the first one and figured more would be on their way. She ended up laying 6 in her clutch (not fertile, i have two females) and was nesting them on a towel I put in her cage for comfort. She got plenty of good food and really took advantage of her cuttle bone. I could see she was losing interest in the eggs, but wasn't quite done. She sat above them at one point and pooped on two of the eggs a bit. I thought that it she was still going to sit on them I should try to clean them a bit. I tried with a wet cloth to wipe them and ended up breaking one of the eggs...I didn't have a fake egg or anything to add right away, so I was hoping she would be ok since she was just about to give up on the clutch anyway.

So..where we are now: she laid another egg a few days later. I can't tell if she replaced the other so close to the end of the nesting period, or if she is starting a new clutch. I've left the other five and she is sitting on all of them. She spent a good deal of time today not nesting.

So, several questions.

How long can I leave the original 5 eggs (or all of them, i can't tell them apart now.) Will they...spoil? Should I get dummy eggs and replace them all?

Should I remove them all and assume she's laying a second clutch...

Should I take the opportunity to rearrange her cage now while she's not heavily invested in nesting and make things less pleasant to nest on? I wanted to rearrange right when she was done with this clutch and now everything is thrown off.

The worst thing is that she looks a bit like she's got another egg coming. She's a little poufy down there and has been going to town on her cuttle bone. She eats pellets and birdy bread with veggies in it.

Wow...long thread...sorry. I just would rather her not follow a 6 egg clutch with another right away. I was hoping to avoid this all together like with my other female, who has yet to lay any eggs.

Thanks...

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Re: New egg in old clutch or new clutch?

I think you would be best to rearrange the cage as soon as possible. The egg laying process can be extremely taxing on the hens. Since you have 2 hens, I would do everything possible to discourage egg laying. Make sure they have 12 hours 'night' time, rearrange the cage, avoid soft foods and petting the hens on their backs. That said, I would leave the eggs alone, they will be okay until she loses complete interest in them and then you can safely remove them.
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Rearranged the cage today, but she's such a go with the flow bird she didn't even seem to care. She was nesting this morning and there is a seventh egg. She's been hanging out the rest of the day, and eating a lot of pellets, cuttlefish bone, and pellets.

Hopefully I don't see an eighth egg soon. So the original egg, if she sit full term again, will be nearly 60 days old. That's ok?

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Well, if it starts to smell or is damaged in any way - remove it. Otherwise it should be fine. In the wild when an egg is infertile or doesn't hatch, the birds don't have someone removing the dud eggs, but they will roll it out of the nest if they don't want it there (clever wee things).

I guess if rearranging the cage didn't work, you could also remove the towel...
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Do you have a grate in the cage? I have read that grates "might" help in keeping chronic hens from laying, in that they have to set on the grate with their eggs.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

I do have a grate. I put a towel down since I figured nesting was going to be stressful enough, I might as well make it easier on her. She was trying to nest before I put it down...however, I'm regretting it because she may have given up... Should I leave the towel? She looks like she has an eighth on the way...

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Eighth egg this morning. Ugh... I'm extending dark hours, but it's summer here in phoenix, so the sun is out a LOT. And the birds outside are noisy.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Personally, if I were you, I would be calling an Avian vet and see if you could take her in for an examination? I'm thinking she has some hormonal conditions that really need to be addressed by an expert. Egg laying and binding are not to be taken lightly. I would think in your area there would be a selection of vets to choose from.

I have a chronic egg layer, but she never lays any more eggs than 4 in a clutch, and she lays about every 6 weeks. I also limit her daylight time. Bedtime is about 5:30 or 6:00 in the evening, and I don't get her up in the morning until about 9:00, so she has plenty of hours away from the sunlight. And I always cover her cage at night too. But, on the other hand, birds are like humans when it comes to sunlight. They have to have sunlight like we do, because of the calcium and Vitamin D issue. And cuttle bone is definitely not enough for chronic egg layers. I feed whole wheat bread, red lettuce, celery, parsley, raw broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower, and I also feed a pellet/seed diet. Harrison's pellets are the best you can buy. You might consider getting a sack of them (buy the fine small pieces), and begin by putting some in a separate cup in her cage, and also put some in her regular seed cup mixed with the seed. I began using Harrisons a few months ago. It did not prevent my tiel from laying eggs, but I feel much better about her diet, knowing she is getting tons of wonderful nutrition, vitamins, calcium, vitamin D, and other vitamins in the Harrisons. If she doesn't take to them immediately, soak a few at a time in some apple juice, and see if she would try them. And don't give up on the pellets. Keep putting them in her seed as well as in a separate cup, and even scatter a few on the floor of the cage. The sooner she takes to them the faster her health will improve.

I'm sure you know that when birds lay a clutch anything that disturbs their nest will signal the process is not complete, and they will definitely lay again. I know it is a catch 22, because you cannot leave eggs with poop on them in the cage. That could make her sick if she eats the poop, and she might get salmonella. I always use a little vinegar on a piece of paper towel to clean the poop of my hens eggs if she gets poop on them. This was the first time I used plastic eggs to see if it would discourage her from setting or laying. At first, I thought it might be of help, because the first day I exchanged one egg for a plastic one, she hid the plastic one under a piece of paper towel. But the next day, she started setting on all of the eggs including the plastic one, and to be quite frank with you, I think it has just increased her desire to keep on setting on this clutch. She has two plastic and two real eggs now, and doesn't show any signs of abandoning this clutch any time soon. The past clutches she laid, she quickly lost interest in the eggs, and would abandon them and go back to her usual daily routine, playing with her toys, chirping on occasion, interacting with my budgie who is in another cage, but not this time. So, I am convinced that the plastic eggs are not going to discourage her, at least not this time. I always leave her own eggs in the cage for at least 21 days, because that is about the time the chicks would hatch.

I do feel for you, Holly, because I know exactly how it is for you. We love our babies and want the best for them. I never thought I'd have a single hen egg layer. And like you I don't have any male tiel. I sure hope you can contact a Vet and see what they would say about the situation.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-04-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

I sent a message to my vet (luckily its only a couple blocks away.) I'll call tomorrow and make an appt. I go in every 6 months, and I know Beaker usually handles it pretty well.

They're on Roudybush and Zupreem Naturals. They didn't care for Harrisons, but they love the mash over brown rice. Lately they have been getting a lot of harrisons birdy bread with veggies and pellets in it. She is also really good about eating a lot of her cuttle bone and calcium perch.

However...I'm worried. I hate this... I've been keeping it dark for 12 hours, but someone on another site made a good point that when they already have their eggs, giving them lots of dark almost creates a next box for them.

I'll try cleaning the eggs a bit tonight. She comes of her eggs frequently to eat and roam around and snuggle, I'll have the chance to clean them then.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I fully agree about limiting the light hours. It's a catch 22 so to speak. I think in the case of my little hen tiel, Ollie, being covered more does encourage her to nest, so yes, it does create a nest box atmosphere so to speak. You are feeding her an awesome diet. I just read a post by our Moderator, Marrie, who also says her bird likes Roudybush pellets. Both Roudybush and Zupreem Naturals are well promoted in the bird community, and from what I've read they also are of excellent quality. It just depends upon the bird. You are lucky she comes off of her eggs often to eat and roam around and snuggle. The clutch of 4 that my Ollie is setting on now has 2 plastic and 2 real eggs. And it seems this time she wants to set on them for hours. I have to encourage her to get off of them in the morning to clean her up. Prior clutches she abandoned early on, so maybe the two plastic just made her want to set more. (lol) Go figure! They are such beautiful and sweet birds, and I love Ollie and my little budgie, Muffin, no matter what, even through the "egg laying frenzy"! Hope to hear some good news from you after you take her to the Vet for the checkup.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

The vet didn't need to see her, and basically told me what I already knew. She's been sitting on her 9 eggs but the last few days she's been loosing interest. I removed the towel that they were on and left just a paper towel ( she's on a grate) trying to promote a little discomfort. It seems now she only sits on them at night. I removed the eggs one day but she was really looking for them that evening so I put them back and she promptly sat on them. This is how those other eggs came about I think. She never seemed to fully give up on the eggs but was making a new clutch anyway.

I may try removing then in a day or so. She's so close to abandoning them...but I don't want to take them too soon.

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

Most recent update: Beaker was fine for a few days after i removed her eggs. But sure enough, she started trying to load up on calcium with her cuttlebone and calcium perches. I removed them for a day, but thought that would be bad if she was already on her way to forming another egg, so i put them back. For the last two days now, shes looked a bit puffy in her lower abdomen near the vent like she has an egg, but she's still SOOO mate-y! She'll back up and do her thing on anything! My hand, a perch, a toy, the couch, my foot, her food dish. Its never ending. I try to discourage it, but its on so many objects, if i remove one, she'll find another. I set up a sleep cage in another room that stays good and dark, and much more quiet than the room they are currently in. I've been trying to have her in there for 14 hours, covered. But at this point, I'm just waiting for what appears to be an egg. If nothing comes soon, I'm taking her to the vet. I'm so scared of egg binding, and I've read so much about ovarian cysts and vent prolapses and all those horrible things, so I'm pretty paranoid. She's eating, is her normal crazy and high energy self, and seems to be pooping, but today the poops have been pretty loose or watery. That's getting me pretty scared.

And Luna is molting so she's really grumpy yet even more clingy than normal. These birds...they're lucky they're so darn cute.

Name
    britany
    Thanks

This is only a budgie thing but apparently when female budgies get close to laying eggs their poo gets really watery everyday and it just gets more watery and watery every minute!

Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

And discouraging birds from laying eggs can be the hardest thing on earth!

So if your bird is losing a lot of calcium or anything like that use the eggs she keeps on laying and make them into egg food with the shell in it so that she doesn't lose calcium well not a lot!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    britany
    Thanks

And how long has it been since she had the first clutch??
    And has she started laying an egg or not?
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    Holly
    Thanks

No egg yet, she's in bed now. I may call the vet in the morning...she wasn't this visibly poufy for the last two clutches. Plus, if this is another egg coming, that's the start of clutch number 3 in 3 months. So frustrating...

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Wow!

:0
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive