Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    emma
    Thanks

Post new 9 week old cockatiel, how do i bond with her????

hi im new to this site and i have read some of the other posts that have been shared, i need help and advice, i recently bought a 9 week old cockatiel, shes healthy and sleeping on one foot and eating plenty, shes even taking food when i give it to her between the bars of her cage, but she runs away when i put my hand in the cage or try and stroke her from out side the cage, she seems relaxed enough when i talk to her, but i dont know how to get her to trust me enough so i can stroke her and handle her, shes also shivering alot does that mean shes to cold or just scared, if anyone can help that would be great. i know its going to be a long journey for us to bond, i just want to know what i should be doing to help with the bonding, i also read that i shouldnt be useing sand paper to line her cage, is this true? if so what should i be useing instead?

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: new 9 week old cockatiel, how do i bond with her????

Hi, Emma, and welcome to the community. All birds are afraid of hands when you first bring them into your home. Hands signal "danger" to any bird because it is there natural instinct to protect themselves from animals and other predators in the wild. It will take some time and training for her to be able to trust you, but patience will win out in training her. There is alot of info here on the forum about tiel behavior, how to work with them in training, etc. And also, there are lots of folks who come by and post info about their own experiences with their babies. When you have some time, get more acquainted with the forum and read the info that is provided here.

You are doing right by just being gentle and talking to her. When you eat something, sit by her cage and she can watch you eat your food. She just might decide to get some food out of her seed cup while you are eating. Since you've had her for such a short time, let her take her time to get used to you and her environment. You might consider getting some millet sprigs (you can get them at a pet shop/store) and hanging one in her cage. Do you have her cage covered? In the daytime, put a cover on three sides of the cage, leaving the front of the cage uncovered. Covers are security for new birds, and also, her shivering could be because she is cold. Nine weeks is a very young age for a tiel to be joining you in your home. Here in America, breeders usually keep their babies for about 12 weeks and then sell them and/or rehome them. It is good to hear that she is standing on one foot (that means she is relaxed and not too afraid), and eating and drinking. Just give her all the times she needs, and within a couple of weeks or so, I'm sure you will see a big difference in her behavior.

As to the sand paper liners. I personally would never use them, nor would I ever give my birds, gravel, that you sometimes see in boxes along with the bird seeds/pellets in the Pet Shop. And since she is still very young I would begin using a seed/pellet mix. Get a good quality seed, and then buy some Harrisons pellets (the fine and small peices), and begin by putting some in her seed mix, as well as in a separate cup in her cage, and sprinkle a few on the floor. Harrisons are the BEST! They have soooo many good nutrients in them, they definitely help to secure a tiel's health.

I use white paper towel on the bottom of my bird cages. Recently, I saw a forum member who posted she uses white newspaper from a printing company, that does not contain any ink that they use for printing.

You are definitely going to be on an "awesome journey" with your little baby. She will bond with you in time, and will become the best friend ever! When you get some time, please post some pics of her. And come back often and let us know how she is doing.

I hope this info has been helpful to you. Good Luck with your new baby tiel!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Ellen gives some good advice. I will just add that you can place your hand into her cage and just let it sit there, not moving, not trying to touch her. That helped my tiel get used to my hand isn't going to hurt him. I then added a treat to my hand and shortened it as he got comfy with me and he eventually stepped up onto my hand to eat (then you have to resist the urge to be all excited and stand still, which is hard!).

Also, if you can't find harrisons pellets in your area Roudybush is more readily available at pet stores and is a fine pellet. My tiel won't eat harrisons, he refuses but he loves roudybush crumbles.

Name
    emma
    Thanks

thank you both for your advice, i dont have the cage covered but it is an a corner and you could say its boxed in so to speak, it has a bookcase on either side and a wall behind it, and how do i make sure shes warm enough, the petshop i got her from said just to turn on my heating, but as you know its summer and getting hotter, surely that will make her too hot, and what does it mean when shes on her perch leaning forwards with her wings at her sides? sorry im so new to this, i was told by the petshop she needs to eat gravil to help break down the seeds, but on the research ive done it can possibly give them lead posioning, so i havent bothered with that, ive got her on seeds at the moment, but was looking to put her on pellets as they are healthier for tiels, but was told because shes gone to a new home and got me to get used to changing her diet now could cause more harm than good.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marrie View Post

Also, if you can't find harrisons pellets in your area Roudybush is more readily available at pet stores and is a fine pellet. My tiel won't eat harrisons, he refuses but he loves roudybush crumbles.
    I just seen on the Dr. Fosters and Smith website this past weekend, you can get a 44.5 oz bag of Roudybush for $7.99. It's funny how tiels are with pellets, Piper would eat either Harrison's or Roudybush but havent' tried Roudybush on Tango yet. Never had a problem with Roudybush, I would buy it when the Harrison's was out of stock.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 06-04-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Emma - with the grit/gravel the more common problem is crop impactions. But yes don't worry about that, as tiels don't need it (it's for birds that don't hull the seeds). Work on adjusting her diet after she settles in, a few weeks, or more depending on her stress levels every bird is different. If she is not in a draft (IE: fan, a/c vent on her, etc) she may just be scared/stressed and that can cause them to shiver some. Tiels like it warm, so 72-85 is what my tiel prefers, if it drops below 70F he gets cold, but they can adjust as long as temperatures are kept constant without draftiness.