Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Coby
    Thanks

Weaning parent raised cockatiels

ok so all of you prob know when parent raided cockatiels wean i do not as this is my first batch of parent raised babies. I was just wondering when i should be moving them to the flight cage as they are still in the breeder cage with mom and dad. Mom is now sitting on another 3 eggs and i am not sure what to do with the babies i am scared that once the other eggs start hatching is mom and dad gonna be aggressive to the older babies. The older babies are foraging and eating pellets and seeds from the dishes but i am not sure if they are getting enough to sustain them i know dad still feeds them ounce in awhile but it is getting fewer and farther between feedings. I will post pics of the baits so that you can see how big they are. thank you.

I know not a very good pic took it with my phone will take one with the camera later.
    Last edited by siren27ca; 06-07-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Weaning parent raised cockatiels

I really wish I could answer your question, but I must say, you have a very fine looking flock there!!

By the way, how old are the babies?

Name
    Coby
    Thanks

they all hatched about the end of april so they are about almost 6 weeks old.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It seems impossible they are soooooooo big already. One question I have is did you plan on having another clutch of new babies so soon? From the research I've read, it is very stressful for a hen to keep laying clutch after clutch without taking some time out between hatchings. Your babies are just beautiful! You did really well going through the breeding process with the mom and dad, and the babies sure do look healthy and happy. As to putting them in the flight cage, I wouldn't be the one to answer that question. I'm sure someone will happen on your post, and be able to give you the right answer. Good luck with your gorgeous flock!!

Name
    Coby
    Thanks

Nope i was hoping to move everyone into the flight cage but mommy had layed an egg in the food dish. I know better than to let back to back breeding mom and dad are in excellent health even after already raising a clutch. Cant undo it now she is on 3 eggs and one has a heart beat so far. I didn't want to break up mom and dad cause they where both feeding the babies but know i made a mistake so i need to do some research on how to get them to stop i took the nesting box out and she layer another egg in the food dish. Any help on the subject would be great. thank you

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Chicks normally wean when they are 8-10 weeks old, so I think it is too soon to separate the babies from Mum and Dad. The parents will start telling the babies to go away when they are weaned, so trust their instincts. I doubt very much they will get aggressive with the chicks.
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com