Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Odd couple

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Odd couple

I was just given a F jenday conure and a M Quaker ... Interesting I thought, well they are awesome, they have been in the same cage together since they were babies.. they are now 5 yrs old... the conure "Skittles" is just a love.. The Quaker "Echo" is standoffish.. but wants to come to me just not quite ready yet. these poor babies never even had names ... but in a matter of 3 weeks have recognized and respond to them already ! OK so here is the weirdness......... they "CANT BREED" but they sure do try !!!!! like at least 3 times a day ! is this normal ? or ok ? LOL should I get her a male conure or what ? or do they just do this for fun ?

Lori

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Odd couple

Hopefully they can breed, that would not be good at all. They do sound like a sweet couple but are you definitely sure they cant make some babies? My lovie lived his life without another bird at our house and he tried to breed with everything and anything so birds do like to "do it". If your two are a couple and get along well I wouldnt get a male conure because then you would have babies and that isnt a good idea unless you are knowledgeable about taking care of the babies if the parents wont.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I was told that a quaker and a conure cant breed.... is this not true ? I was under the assumption that the actual fertilization couldn't take place between the 2 different kinds of birds........ rut toh LOL maybe a nesting box is in order ay ? I have hand raised many Cockatiels and had a blast with all of them. I'd love to have more conures or quakers around... they are a ton of fun ! maybe even a breeding conure pair as a hobby... still thinking about it stage.

THANKS ANY help is greatly appreciated !!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

I don't believe they can breed since they are different species entirely, though I can't be certain as I am no expert. Since they are bonded, I wouldn't break them up to try to turn her into a breeder, it wouldn't be fair to the pair. Birds will mount each other no matter what, even two male cockatiels will sometimes mount each other. It's a dominance thing as well as a for fun thing.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks Marie I appreciate your response, they seem happy, and healthy, and they are a lot of fun so its all good... Im thinking about maybe keeping an ear open to another conure or pair needing a home..... found a new form of relaxation and entertainment