where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

New Gym and Climbing Net for Pepe

Pepe has been home from the pet shop now for 2 1/2 months. He's definitely hand shy, but he's not aggressive. I have designed and created a climbing net and just now finished his play gym. He's getting better about coming out of his cage and climbing to the top where I can then coax him onto my finger and place him on the table where he climbs up on the gym. The gym is much larger than I originally designed, but the climbing net is huge also. If my pics won't show they are in my album.
    The employees in the hardware store could not imagine what I was building with 1 1/3 lengths of pipe, 9 elbow and 29 T connections so I took them a picture when it was completed. My spanish is too limited to try and explain, but I could tell they were quite curious as they helped me strap on the pipe to my scooter. As there are no pet shops with bird accessories here locally, I was able to buy perfect baby toys at the grocery store. Of course his favorite toy is a plastic tie wrap attached to his cage. He can play with that for 2 hrs. so I try and remember that when I'm making his toys. He's a little overwhelmed by the gym and net now, but we have the time for him to become adventurous.

I see I have posted this in Bird Help... Please move to General Cockatiel topics if possible.

Last edited by Marrie; 06-10-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New Gym and Climbing Net for Pepe

I cant see your pictures here so I dont think the link is right. I so wanted to see your new net and gym too so hopefully you can fix the links so we can see them. It sounds like they are going to be well worth the wait and I am happy your such a good "parront" to your two birds
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

That play gym looks like fun and I bet the net is a big hit. I fixed the picture links for you, they were linked to the album rather than the images themselves. And moved this to the other section in tiels.

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

You really provide the equipment for your bird. This for it's size, is like a workout for a human to stay in shape and also busy for good mental and physical health.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That's an awesome setup, Sunny!! And Pepe is one handsome "fid"!! Thanks for sharing the pics and the update!

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

Thanks Marrie, I'm a newbie so I needed the help. I'm not sure Pepe thinks it's so great yet, he was pretty quiet today, but he played with some of the toys and got on the swing so I'm pleased with him. He was happy to see his cage this evening. Oh, here's a tip...I won't grab Pepe to get him out of the cage and some days he doesn't come out at all even with the door open. This morning I put the cage on the floor and he didn't like being so low so he came right out and got on top where I could "encourage" him to step up on my finger and put him on the table with the gym. Someday I'm hoping he'll come to the door for me to pick up because he can't wait to get on the gym. We have a rainy season here in the Tropics so he won't be spending as much time outside in the mornings. I wanted to get everything done before it starts although I know I'm pushing him a little with all the new stuff.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Hehe yeah, I used to leave mines door open with a ladder attached to it so he could easily climb down (he came with clipped wings) and put his favorite treats out of the cage. Sometimes they need a little incentive to explore.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My lovie was afraid to come out of his cage too until I did what Marie did and once he could come out on his own he was eager to come out and enjoy being out to explore the house.

I love your bird net, what a great idea and once Pepe gets use to being on it he will love it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

I have continued with his target training and he is coming to the open door easily to touch the stick. Yesterday after his lesson he went in and out a few times and then came out and climbed to the top of the cage to tear up the wicker basket. I left him there and went to visit the neighbors and when I returned he was climbing on the net. He has approached the table with the gym and changed his mind, but maybe today is the day. I sat by his cage yesterday and played with the toys on the gym myself which peaked his interest so I'll try that again. I put his food and treats outside his cage and it worked for a day or two, but that was all. It seems to come down to his developing confidence and my increasing patience and we are both rewarded eventually. Especially when I would love to touch him and have him come to me willingly without hesitation. I'm just glad that he's not at all aggressive and now even in his molt his personality hasn't changed. Not yet!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You definitely are making progress with him!! Hang in there!! You are definitely doing the right things including having patience with him!! I could just bet it won't be long until he will be all over the place, including all over you, because lovies do like to "hang with" their parronts!

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I think the set up you showed with Pepe on it looks pretty good. It is of a good size and appears to be assembled well.

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

Thanks for the nice comments. It was all fun to do and now that the rainy season is here, Pepe has all day to explore. We would all like our birds to be like puppies at first, but in time you learn to watch for and appreciate the small steps of progress each day brings. You earn every one of them with the necessary attention and care that a new bird requires. I have had lots of birds, but they were a flock to themselves and I was the cleaning lady and food dispenser. This was my fault and I enjoyed them, but this time I would like the bonding that I read about here and envy. The only thing better would be the raising of babies and thanks to the posters I can enjoy that experience through their pictures and stories, but here in Mexico finding good homes would be difficult and most often heartbreaking. I'm so glad I found this forum and the people that make it so educational and enjoyable.

Name
    britany
    Thanks

Oh that gym looks like it can work your bird till its tired!

Wow

No matter how many times I ve tried to make something for my birds it will never work!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Sunny I am in awe of your construction skills! Some great thinking there.

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

I had a smaller size in my original design, but as soon as I put the base together I knew it would be a lot bigger. My main objective was to have each perch spaced so Pepe could go from one to the other easily. This mean't adding more levels and so it grew. The climbing net was intended to fill the entire window, but I wish now I had used a heavier thicker cord for more stability. The Mexican people are extremely helpful, self reliant and resourceful. Because of the language problem I couldn't explain what I was making with a length and a half of pipe, nine elbows and twenty-nine T-connections. They helped tie the pipe pieces to my scooter in a way that I could manage, but with their smiles and chuckles I knew they were dying of curiosity. So when it was finished, I took the pics on my iPod for them to see. They were amazed and loved seeing Pepe playing on it. I'm sure they still think I'm a crazy old gringa, but I'm respected.