where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lump on Leg

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Lump on Leg

A grackle i am rehabilting has a lump any suggestions or ideas of what it is? other then taking it to the vet PLEASE!! thank you im gona attach pics.
    --------Brittany http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...1/111_1119.jpg http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...1/111_1122.jpg http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Baby
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: Lump on Leg

It is visable, but not too far advanced where medical help would be too late. Could call local rescue or animal care and control for best advice. Those are issues that they would know about, as sure they have had these problems before.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sinthea
    Thanks

I know you said you didn't want to hear it but take it to the vet. Call a rescue if that is just not possible to get advice. Many people here have a amazing amount of knowledge about birds and their bodies but as far as I know, no one here is a vet. On the internet someone with out any knowledge can pretend to know everything, and make it seem believable. Be sure any advice you get you at least double check with both your own research and speaking with a vet or rescue organization. I have a friend who recently fell into the trap of believing everything everyone says on the internet and lost her bird, I would hate to see it happen to anyone else.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

From the pictures, my first guess would be abscess. But, there is no way to really diagnose it over the net as others have stated. A rescue or rehab place may be able to help if your vets don't treat that particular type of bird.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

:/ thanks.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

There is no way of telling from the photos. Even if you took more up close, what and where it is, is to touchie for anyone to ascertain. I can come up with at least 6 things off the top of my head that it could be but what needs to be doen varies way to much. Meaning the remidy from one cause the next is to different thus to dangerous to attempt with out being sure. If anyone here knows or has read my responses, when I say take it to a vet I really mean it. A few of the "maybe's" are serious in the sense of one could be life thretening the other is the bird could loos its leg. I must preface tho, those are just guesses again, it could be no big deal as well, but I always like to error on the side of caution. The above mentioned taking it to a rescue is very good. They can look at it and some even have avian vets or staff very knowledgable and they usually don't charge. Even if they do, they will look for free and at least diagnose if they can stearing you in the right direction. Good Luck