Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: new teil

Name
    angela
    Thanks

new teil

Hi all i got a new teil 3 ago got his wings clipped but vet only clipped one he is 16 weeks so i got told by seller he has not been hand raised so is no happy if i try to touch him ive been sitting by his cage talking to him an he moves around alot is vocal tried to let him out of the cage today i left the cage doors open but didnt budge is there anything else i should do also he is eating alot but have not seen him drink

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Re: new teil

Be patient. Repeat this three times a day. Offer millet from your fingers starting with holding it at the end and each day moving your fingers closer to the offered end until he is eating from between your fingers. I have had a lot of progress with the target touch reward training. Do a search on the internet for it. Pepe became most responsive when I started taking him outside in the garden while I worked. The other birds calling and flying about eased the fears of his new cage and soon he was playing with his toys, spreading his wings and climbing all around. Anything new is fearful and I place new things beside his cage for a week before introducing it to him. I mounted a wicker paperplate holder on top of his cage for shade and for a more comfortable place to perch if he should come out. He tried tearing up the wicker from inside and then when I opened the door he couldn't wait to get at it and climbed right out. I have tried putting the millet outside his door and the feed cups, but nothing works unless it's what he wants to do. Baby steps get there and sometimes it feels like two steps forward and one back, but it will all happen just give it time and he will be that happy bird when he's not afraid.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hayley
    Thanks

I have to agree with Sunny, it all takes time. You really need to have patience with new birds. It took some time for my teil to be tame with me but I assure you that the persistance pays off and when they finally show that they trust you enough, it really is wonderful. Good luck

Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Patience, patience, and more patience. Always keep hand movements slow, steady. Not sneaky, but not "grabby" or threatening.
    Talk to it, play music, try to think, and act like a bird. Pick a simple 2 tone whistle that is "you", your "flock call". Use it every time you approach the cage so they know your coming. When music is playing, lots of "head bobs" on your part can help get them into it.

Instead of that scary hand, you might want to start with a perch say 18" long. And you might want to see if they will sit on your shoulder.
    If you can get them sitting on your shoulder the urge to preen all that hair, nibble on ears, etc is really going to help. Birds always like to sit on the highest safe spot they can find. Shoulders fill the bill nicely. Just remember to keep movements slow, calm and easy.