Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

How to get bailey to shower

We've had our grey for a year and in a half in that time, she's barely had a shower. She clearly wants to bathe as she spahes about in her water bowl but that barely gets her chest wet. Beyond that, we've never managed to give her a shower without her aving a near heart attack -- splashing water above, trying in the shower, etc. I don't know what else to do.

Her feathers are all rough looking...she's clearly in need of a shower!

Because of that need I am really tempted to just put her in a travel cage outside in a sunny day, get the hose, and spray from above as if it were rain. But I'm just scared she'll just injure herself by trying to flap about (and not really get wet if she doesn't try to catch the water -- she's already not super comfortable in the travel cage), or end up having a heart attack haha. But she really needs to get a shower!

Any thoughts?
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: How to get bailey to shower

Have you tried getting one of those cheap spray bottles like for house hold cleaning? That is what I use for my bird, I put lukewarm water into it and spray it in a gentle mist above his head and it comes down like a light misting rain (get a QUIET one as the noise can spook some birds). Or, if she likes her water bowl, a LARGE casserole dish or something (wide not deep) for her to try to bathe in that way? Some owners have found if they do the spray shower while it is actually raining outside and by a window their birds respond better as well.

Name
    Kimberly
    Thanks

This is what I had to do with my senegal. Might work for you.
    I first started putting her on the shower rod while I showered for a couple of days a week. She at least got the steam. Then I put her on a shower perch that I bought but not in the water, just in the shower with me. After a few more days, I moved the shower perch to where it was halfway in the stream of water so she could get in and out as she wanted. Now she loves the shower but she still likes to have the perch where she can shower at will

The large bowl might work too!
    In loving memory of Mattie the...

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'm not much of a help, Dan. Sorry. But my little Misty the cockatiel HATES bathing and I thought it wouldn't hurt to share with you what I do when one of my fids won't bathe. I simply put a few inches of warm water (tepid) in the kitchen sink, put a little Dawn dish soap on them and bathe them. I first put them in the water to see if they'll like it. If they don't I just keep the water running on a gentle stream and 'scrub' them down.

Dawn is a great soap to use on birds, but no more frequently than once a month. You can also use baby shampoo. Being 65, I don't keep baby shampoo on hand, so I use Dawn (LOL).

It may seem harsh to just clean 'em up, but the trust I have with my birds helps greatly and they tolerate it well. I also make a big enthusiastic fuss over how pretty they are while I'm washing them and for a while afterwards.

All birds feel a lot better when they're clean - even the ones who hate to bathe. So, even though it might be a struggle to begin the bathing process, they really appreciate how it feels to be clean, once they get over being mad at me. But, they don't ever retaliate against me and my birds never alienate due to bathing them, and it's well-worth the effort in the end.

Thought I'd at least share this, Dan.

Oh, I thought I'd add that my method is far less scary than putting a bird in a travel cage and spraying them. Even though it might seem like you're simulating a rainfall, remember, the bird is 'trapped' in the cage, isolated from your touch and being doused unexpectedly. At least with the forced bathing that I do, the bird still feels my touch and hears me talking to him in a praising, loving way, so it's a lot less frightening.
    Six of my fids are now 2 years old - Sweetie, Tubbie, Misty, Kahnee, Rosie and Riley are all grown up!!

Gabby Renee and Chauncey will celebrate their 2nd birthdays in March!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I'm very fortunate that Tango loves a bath. I usually give him to John when he goes into the shower and he just flaps his wings and tweets while feeling the water on him. Total opposite for Piper, she thought the bathing was traumatizing. I would take her to the kitchen sink and use the rinse hose, I would hold her down and gently scrub her. She had an attitude, but like Pat mentioned, they do get over it. Piper would bathe her head and belly in her water dish in her cage, but only when know one was looking. I would see the water all over the bottom of the cage floor and her head was all wet. I also have to agree a bird feels much better and happier when they are clean.

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

We tried the large bowl and she plays with it (and others we've tried too), but for showing itself, it's only her water bowl that she tries to use. Haha. She totally freaks out if water is sprayed and falls on her, she just tries to fly away. That's why I thought a travel cage would be best because then she can't fly away, but of course that seems really traumatic. She's not particularly cuddly anyway so holder her while we shower her in the sink...tried that once and she just kept flapping and trying to get away as quickly as possible, her heart was racing like crazy! :/
    Please check your signatures to make sure they fit within our signature rules (to be found in the announcements forum)!

Supercharge your Tailfeathers account with bonus features -- join Tailfeathers Gold today!