Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peach-faced lovebird - 5 months old

Thanks

Re: Peach-faced lovebird - 5 months old

Lovebirds love bathing. They probably dont like forced baths. Ham is now at the point, after PATIENCE on my part of at least 9 months, that she will now fly onto me and I can take her on my arm over to the sink and run a little shower for her. She bathes at least once every 2 days if not more. Pretty stinky damp I have to say.

Patience patience patience.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

I got this music clip of 1 hour that plays bird chirpings and tree sounds and stuff, so I played that on my mobile and kept the mobile on top of his cage. He listened carefully, went to the top of the cage from the inside and started biting whatever little of the mobile he could get from inside the cage.

How would you interpret this behavior? Would you say he liked it, and should I do this more often and probably as a trick to bring him out of the cage, perhaps?

Name
    britany
    Thanks

tricking birds isn't a nice thing for them and you shopuldn't try to get him out of the cage if he really doesn't want to...it's like my budgie Green she never comes out to have an excercise around the house so once in a while...i have to take her out...well she likes to come out of the cage she just doesn't look like she's ready to fly out that's why she never com es out but i can tell she loves coming out ALL the time and especially because I've got a mate for her that always flies out as soon as the cage door is open unless it's time for an afternoon nap!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Thanks

a trick to bring him out of the cage, perhaps?
    Is there some sort of schedule you're trying to keep? Relax and be patient. You're going to have this bird for years so let him set the pace.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Guys, relax! I didn't say it was a trick! I asked you how YOU would interpret it as? Because I'm new to lovebird world, I'm not sure if he would like it, or he would think that he's being played. So that's all I asked you'll.

No way in hell would I trick my bird. How could you'll even think that?! :S

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Give me a break....What you did was not a trick and anything that brings him out on his own instead of reaching in and taking him out against his will should be applauded. I was afraid Pepe was getting cage bound and developing too much security with his cage so I tried many different "tricks" to encourage him outside. I attached a wicker paper plate holder to the top for shade outside and he liked to chew it so when inside and the door open he came out and climbed to the top so he could really get at it. I put a spray of millet outside his door and he came out a few times to get it. Now I do target touch training to encourage him to the open door. I tried keeping his seed bowl outside the door in the afternoon. Each of these "tricks" worked a few times and then he got wise. The worst thing I did was remove the cage when he left it to give it a good cleaning. That made him distrust leaving his cage and I'm sorry I did it. My intentions were good, just as yours are too, but Pepe only knows that he left and I snatched it away. Now I put his cage at the window between his climbing net and the table holding his big gym and he comes out to climb on the net and looks at the gym suspisously. I play with the toys on the gym and he's interested, but not ready to try it yet. I leave it up to him now and relax knowing he has the freedom when he is ready for it.

The best things I have done so far is to take him out in the cage for sun in the mornings and work patiently with the training everyday. He loves to hear and watch the wild birds and it has made him active and more confident in his surroundings. The training is slowly getting him used to my hands and is helping to create our personal relationship with each other. It's only three months today and we have come a long way, but I know we have a long way to go so why rush it. All good things come to those who wait. Repeat this three times a day and enjoy the little steps of progress you make. Losing fear and developing trust cannot be forced not with people and certainly not with birds. And if one trick doesn't work, try another, it's hard to be smarter than a bird.

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Thanks Sunny! That was quite encouraging considering it's taken you 3 months to make progress with your lovie.

I just have mine for 3 weeks now, so I think it is a bit soon to expect him to come to me.

I do have a question about his behavior though, sometimes he flaps his wings real hardbut doesnt make any attempts to fly or jump. All he does is flap his wings real hard for a good 10 seconds or so. What could that mean? Any idea?

Also, he has been scratching himself a bit too often the past few days - either his head or his ears, but it's at a frequency of every 5-10 minutes or so. Is there something I should be worried about?

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

It hasn't taken me three months to make progress with my tiel, but I would prefer to say I have been making progress for three months. Poco y poco, little by little and truly baby steps, but I celebrate each new one. Tiels flap also for exercise and they do a lot of stretching of their wings and legs. They also do the "eagle" where they hang almost upside down with wings outstretched as far as they can and hold this position while mostly screaming. Pepe does it in the morning when he's outside loving the fresh air and sunshine. He has also done this inside when it's raining. It never fails to make me smile and laugh. I remember all the days in the very beginning when he sat silent and not moving except to eat and drink. Those were tough days for me too and I'm glad they are behind us.

He's into a molt now so he's doing a lot of preening, but I seem to recall some face scratching in the beginning and now too. It wasn't as often as you describe. Is he bathing? Could it be dry skin or maybe mites? I hope someone here has better advice.

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Can anyone help me on the below?

"Also, he has been scratching himself a bit too often the past few days - either his head or his ears, but it's at a frequency of every 5-10 minutes or so. Is there something I should be worried about?"

Remove Ads