Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Peach-faced lovebird - 5 months old

Hey everybody!

I just bought a Peach-faced lovebird last week who is 5 months old. Initially he was very scared and would not eat if anyone was watching or anything. But in this one week he's made some progress in that regard. I've been whistling to him and talking to him, spending as much time possible with him, and he's my sweetheart. He plays around in his cage and looks content most of the time, so that's a good sign too.

Well, the problem is that I want to tame him, feed him, and hold and pet him, but he doesn't allow any of that. When I put rice or any fruit in his cage, he doesn't even touch it. Initially, he would try to come out of his cage, but I didn't allow that since he had wings, which I just got clipped yesterday.

I've left the door of his cage open since yesterday, but he still won't come out. When I put my hand inside the cage, he gets terrified and starts flinching around. Can anybody advise how I can get him to come on my hand?

Also, since I've left his cage door open, I've noticed he roams around on the roof of his cage too. I think it means he's trying to come out, but he doesn't in the end. He just roams around on the roof hanging upside down and goes back to his original spot. Does anyone know what this means?

Any advise or help would be appreciated! Thanks ya'll

Thanks

Re: Peach-faced lovebird - 5 months old

The Eternal Topic!

Yes learn to be more patient and Think Like a Birdbrain! Seriously, you are expecting this creature to suddenly become best buddies in a week. It takes time for them to get used to their new situation and you. Sometimes it will take months or years or even never for birds to get used to hands. So, dont put your hand into their home right now because you are invading their territory. Give it time and maybe offer an arm or shoulder with closed hand until your bird gets used to you. Remember that we humans are used to thinking of our hands as good but to them it may be like a big paw coming to get them like a predator. They use their beaks as "hands" so they arent used to this five fingered thing swiping at them. Imagine if you were your bird and it kept coming at you with an open beak.

Your buddy may not know that the rice and fruit are edible. My peachie still doesnt recognize veggies or fruit.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Thanks!

Yesterday, I opened his cage door and he came out, and he started jumping around and I had to go after him to put him back because I was afraid he would hurt himself. Finally, I held him and put him back into his cage, and he slept after that. Today, I haven't opened his cage door yet, and he's been making noises ever since he woke up, and he just wouldn't stop. Can this mean he wants to come out of the cage again? I'm scared if I let him out, he'll hurt himself because he can't fly, and he won't let me go near him.

Need some urgent help on this, please!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Divya, From what I've read about lovies, they do make quite abit of noise and chatter. In fact, even my hen tiel, Ollie, gets to making lots of noise on occasion. So personally, I don't think that is anything to be concerned about. I don't have any experience in training lovies, but I do know there are several folks who stop by the forums all of the time that know all about their belavior and how to train them. I'm sure someone wlll answer your post before long as to the questions you asked. I think you are doing quite well in training him since you haven't had him very long. All birds are afraid of hands, not just lovies. Patience always wins out when it comes to bonding and training a bird, and I'm sure you will have that success. Just give yourself plenty of time and begin by doing little things with him each day. Just sitting by his cage and talking to him, or eating your food close by the cage, playing soft music on a CD, or leaving his cage door open, as long as you are close by will all be helpful in getting him used to you and your home. I just know that you two will be best friends! Keep us posted on the progress you make!! And we LOVE pics here, so I hope you will share some with us one of these days.

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Thank you so much Ellen! That was quite encouraging

I do get a bit concerned when he makes noise, because I don't know if it's for the good or the bad. He doesn't make much noise with any of my family members, but when I'm around he makes quite a bit of noise, so I don't know if he means good or bad! I'm still not sure how to make him come on my hand, hopefully time will make it better

Thanks

In the case of lovies noise is good. For them. It means they arent afraid and they want ATTENTION. My Ham acts like a rioting prisoner every morning until I let her out. It sure beats an alarm clock.

I also had Ham's wings clipped at first. My advice is to get a ladder or even just tie a towel so it hangs down to the floor so your bird can be independent and climb back on their own instead of you chasing them. Plus its really funny if they are naughty and know it, and then they see you and scurry back to their cage with their little penguin walk. An innocent lovebird does not exist.

One thing I learned after I got my lovie was that by nature they are climbers, so think like a birdbrain and adapt their environment to that. I'm assuming you dont have other pets or children that might be a danger to your bird on the floor. If that's the case, find some catball rattle toys or something similar that your bird can roll around and play with down there. Mine loves them.
    Last edited by Cheaps; 06-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

So true Cheaps, an innocent lovebird does not exist!

I have to agree with Cheaps and say lovebirds love to crawl and hop all around even if they can fly. We had lots of plastic chains and ladders all around our house to my lovie could climb up them. They do love to climb and the higher you make the chain or rope they love it. One of my lovies favorite places was way on the curtain rod so he could sit up there and fall asleep.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Aww, that's so cute!

Well, sad news. The past two-three days he's become pretty lazy, keeps sleeping a lot and doesn't move around in his cage all that much. Sigh! I wish he'd get used to me to want to play with me. I so wanna hold him on my hand, but he just won't come anywhere around me

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Are you sure he isnt sick? To slow down and not do much dont sound like a healthy lovie because they are not quiet little birds usually. Do his poops look the same? If not I would say he needs to see a vet because lovies just are not quiet and mellow birds, especially wild and crazy peach faces.

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

I think he was having an off-day. Cuz yesterday and today, he's been pretty noisy.

Good news is, he's started responding to my whistles, it's his third week with me, and he's finalizing started responding! Yay! Not just that, I had got him a ladder last week, and all week he hadn't touched it, except for support, but since yesterday he's started climbing up and down on it. I'm so happy

One question guys, when I whistle, or after I whistle, sometimes he tilts his head, kinda like he's trying to listen for some noise, is it possible that it means he wants me to whistle more? What does the head tilt signify??

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy to hear he is noisy again. I always think when a bird tilts his head and looks at you it because whatever you just did is interesting to it. I take care of a big Amazon (Mango) and he will do it all the time which makes me crack up at him because he looks so cute tilting his head and then he laughs right back at me. I think by what your saying your lovie is very much interested in you.

Thanks

Glad to hear your bird is ok. Yes it sounds like a sign of interest. Lovebirds are good learners so if you are using the whistle for specific commands, make sure you are consistent. For instance when Ham was clipped I always said, "Time to go home" when I shooed her back to the cage and very shortly I only had to say that and she would go back all on her own. So you can use your whistle sounds to give commands.

Now of course she learned that "No get away from there!" means "keep doing the annoying thing". Brat. Its said they have the intelligence of a 2 year old and I believe it.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Omg guys! The best thing happened on Friday!

So I felt too much love for my lovie and I wanted to play with him, but he was sleeping and I had left the cage door open. So I poked my finger from behind to touch his tail,and he immediately woke up and took a big flight and landed on the bed. As I moved closer to him, he moved to the edge of the bed, looked out of the window, and finally took another flight thinking he could fly outside.

Unfortunately, my little baby crashed into the window, but luckily my bed is right next to the window, so no harm done there. I panicked and immediately ran to him, and held him in my hand properly for the first time. It was the best feeling ever!!!

I played with him, cuddled and patted him, it was so adorable, he fell asleep in my hand when I patted his head! Then I gave him a bath, wow, lovies really don't like baths, eh?

The sad part is that he's still scared and won't come out of his cage. He's with me only for 3 weeks now so I think that's understandable, but how I wish I could just grab him from inside his cage and play with him. Is that a bad thing - to grab him instead of letting him come to me? Or can I do it so he will get used to me?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My lovie was a nice lovie and loved being held but no way could I stick my hand in his cage without getting attacked. They are cage protective and many lovies hate anyone coming near there cage. It is best to leave your lovie alone when it is in its cage and also best to let him come to you instead of you grabbing it and holding it. With that said I will tell you that when we first got boomer we would pick him up and put him on our shoulder so he could hide out in our hair. He loved doing that even though he still hated us touching him.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

how about perch training?
    Some birds just do not like fingers. My Sammy couldn't be more tame, but you put a single finger out to him and he either runs away or fluffs up for a fight. I'm forever having to correct guests coz the most normal thing is to offer a bird your finger. Not Sam, he'll only step onto your whole hand, or your arm. Or a perch.

Be a bird brain. fingers are scary, nasty, grabby things that can poke and catch birdies. Perches are nice, safe, easy things that don't do things like that. Stepping on a perch is easy and makes sense. Hands don't make sense.

then you can gradually make the perch shorter and shorter. 12 inch perch which you hold an inch shorter each day and you've got your bird practically on your finger within a fortnight.

Just remember. Slow, steady, easy, predictable moves. Predators pounce, friends don't

I know it's frustrating now, but remember this bond will hopefully last for year and years and years. It's worth the extra few weeks now to make it special and strong x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Thanks

Lovebirds love bathing. They probably dont like forced baths. Ham is now at the point, after PATIENCE on my part of at least 9 months, that she will now fly onto me and I can take her on my arm over to the sink and run a little shower for her. She bathes at least once every 2 days if not more. Pretty stinky damp I have to say.

Patience patience patience.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

I got this music clip of 1 hour that plays bird chirpings and tree sounds and stuff, so I played that on my mobile and kept the mobile on top of his cage. He listened carefully, went to the top of the cage from the inside and started biting whatever little of the mobile he could get from inside the cage.

How would you interpret this behavior? Would you say he liked it, and should I do this more often and probably as a trick to bring him out of the cage, perhaps?

Name
    britany
    Thanks

tricking birds isn't a nice thing for them and you shopuldn't try to get him out of the cage if he really doesn't want to...it's like my budgie Green she never comes out to have an excercise around the house so once in a while...i have to take her out...well she likes to come out of the cage she just doesn't look like she's ready to fly out that's why she never com es out but i can tell she loves coming out ALL the time and especially because I've got a mate for her that always flies out as soon as the cage door is open unless it's time for an afternoon nap!
    Jeff
    ~Male
    ~Light green

Green
    ~Female
    ~Dark factor
    ~Olive

Thanks

a trick to bring him out of the cage, perhaps?
    Is there some sort of schedule you're trying to keep? Relax and be patient. You're going to have this bird for years so let him set the pace.
    We got lots of Ham here

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Guys, relax! I didn't say it was a trick! I asked you how YOU would interpret it as? Because I'm new to lovebird world, I'm not sure if he would like it, or he would think that he's being played. So that's all I asked you'll.

No way in hell would I trick my bird. How could you'll even think that?! :S

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Give me a break....What you did was not a trick and anything that brings him out on his own instead of reaching in and taking him out against his will should be applauded. I was afraid Pepe was getting cage bound and developing too much security with his cage so I tried many different "tricks" to encourage him outside. I attached a wicker paper plate holder to the top for shade outside and he liked to chew it so when inside and the door open he came out and climbed to the top so he could really get at it. I put a spray of millet outside his door and he came out a few times to get it. Now I do target touch training to encourage him to the open door. I tried keeping his seed bowl outside the door in the afternoon. Each of these "tricks" worked a few times and then he got wise. The worst thing I did was remove the cage when he left it to give it a good cleaning. That made him distrust leaving his cage and I'm sorry I did it. My intentions were good, just as yours are too, but Pepe only knows that he left and I snatched it away. Now I put his cage at the window between his climbing net and the table holding his big gym and he comes out to climb on the net and looks at the gym suspisously. I play with the toys on the gym and he's interested, but not ready to try it yet. I leave it up to him now and relax knowing he has the freedom when he is ready for it.

The best things I have done so far is to take him out in the cage for sun in the mornings and work patiently with the training everyday. He loves to hear and watch the wild birds and it has made him active and more confident in his surroundings. The training is slowly getting him used to my hands and is helping to create our personal relationship with each other. It's only three months today and we have come a long way, but I know we have a long way to go so why rush it. All good things come to those who wait. Repeat this three times a day and enjoy the little steps of progress you make. Losing fear and developing trust cannot be forced not with people and certainly not with birds. And if one trick doesn't work, try another, it's hard to be smarter than a bird.

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Thanks Sunny! That was quite encouraging considering it's taken you 3 months to make progress with your lovie.

I just have mine for 3 weeks now, so I think it is a bit soon to expect him to come to me.

I do have a question about his behavior though, sometimes he flaps his wings real hardbut doesnt make any attempts to fly or jump. All he does is flap his wings real hard for a good 10 seconds or so. What could that mean? Any idea?

Also, he has been scratching himself a bit too often the past few days - either his head or his ears, but it's at a frequency of every 5-10 minutes or so. Is there something I should be worried about?

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

It hasn't taken me three months to make progress with my tiel, but I would prefer to say I have been making progress for three months. Poco y poco, little by little and truly baby steps, but I celebrate each new one. Tiels flap also for exercise and they do a lot of stretching of their wings and legs. They also do the "eagle" where they hang almost upside down with wings outstretched as far as they can and hold this position while mostly screaming. Pepe does it in the morning when he's outside loving the fresh air and sunshine. He has also done this inside when it's raining. It never fails to make me smile and laugh. I remember all the days in the very beginning when he sat silent and not moving except to eat and drink. Those were tough days for me too and I'm glad they are behind us.

He's into a molt now so he's doing a lot of preening, but I seem to recall some face scratching in the beginning and now too. It wasn't as often as you describe. Is he bathing? Could it be dry skin or maybe mites? I hope someone here has better advice.

Name
    Divya
    Thanks

Can anyone help me on the below?

"Also, he has been scratching himself a bit too often the past few days - either his head or his ears, but it's at a frequency of every 5-10 minutes or so. Is there something I should be worried about?"